GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, anyway to change the setting so that I can just press the 'start' button, and it will start? the default is that the 'lock' and 'start' have to be pressed sequentially, and that is a hassle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
dm2010nox said:
hey, anyway to change the setting so that I can just press the 'start' button, and it will start? the default is that the 'lock' and 'start' have to be pressed sequentially, and that is a hassle.

Thanks!
Nothing I've read about so far would indicate such a thing is possible without reprogramming the keyfob and/or vehicle.
I think it's a safety thing so that you aren't starting your NOX by merely putting the keyfob in your pocket full of change, for example, or the kids playing with the key on the kitchen table.

·
Registered
93 Posts
dm2010nox said:

Thanks!
I really doubt it. Sounds like a pretty good Safety Engineer determined via Hazard Analysis supported by a Fault Tree, that two independent functions are needed before the engine will rotate. And as a Systems Engineer myself I can tell you that is by the book, kudos to him/her. Somehow I hope you are able to recover those precious .05 seconds you were inconvenienced. ;)

KJ

·
Registered
635 Posts
Remote start on my 2009 Vue operates same way.
On my Saturn if you press start again within the first
10 minutes you can extend runtime 10 minutes.(only once)

·
Registered
635 Posts
You are right, I missed the step of relocking.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, I had to ask. I do appreciate your replies, and understand the safety [LIABILITY] issue.

·
Registered
446 Posts
This same question appears in just about every GM forum where that vehicle has the remote start feature.

I see it as a very good safety/security feature. I've leaned on my pocket before an accidentally unlocked a car before. I'd hate to remote start it accidentally.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok well I was work yesterday, and a co-worker came to my office and told me that she saw my car in the parking lot with the hatch wide open :-[ :-[

So, I absolutely stand corrected.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Sounding more and more like I don't want this feature. I have an aftermarket starter (AstroStart)that I've had on my last 3 cars. You can start the car and the doors stay locked until you push the door unlock button. If someone did get into the car and hit the gas/break pedal, the car would shut off. One buttom start, buttons are kinda recessed so no unintensional starting. I can programe the car to automatically start at 3 different temps (27*, 0* and -10*) every 15 min or half hour for either 5 min or 10 min at a time. Really works great here in Chicago in the winter. It has one of the longest ranges I've seen for a remote. I can start it from my desk on the second floor - rear of the building. Only drawback was the installation. It was $200 and took almost a whole day to install it correctly and I had to give up one of my keys. But the wife and I are 1000% satisfied with it. Will never have a car without a remote start. I may just go with that instead of the complicated sounding factory one.

What if you have your hands full and you have to press 2 buttons at the same time seems inconvenient.
OOOps, just re-read previous post before sending this. I see it's sequentially not at the same time. I still like the features on the AstroStart.
Probably will go with the factory remote due to the complexities of modern cars electronics. I will check with my installer. So far this is a great site, even though I haven't got my terrain yet.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sounds like your aftermarket one was more complicated...

It's two buttons, one after the other. Not at the same time. (edit, just saw you updated that) Still a good safety feature that I appreciate.

I wonder if the two way extended remote is available for this platform. It is for the Traverse. Very cool idea, it has a much farther range and a display that gives you info about your vehicle including if it remote started propery and how long it's been running. It a GM option that is dealer installed. You might ask about that.

Here's the advanced remote start:
=gm]http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Chevrolet/2010/Traverse/Remote%20Start/?tx_gmshopb2b_pi1[type]=gm (link doesn't seem to work from forum, so you'll need to copy and paste into the address bar, sorry)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had an after market remote starter installed on my '02 TrailBlazer. The function that I miss most in my '10 Equinox was that while the TB was running, I could hit the start buttons (2 together), wait 3 seconds and then able to turn the key toward off and pull it out...while the car remained running. Then could get out of the car and lock the doors and quickly run into a store or something. With the Chevrolet remote starter on my '10 Equinox, it doesn't allow this function. You need to turn off the car and then restart it with the remote...useless wear & tear. I agree with all the previous comments about why GM/Chevrolet did certain things.

·
Registered
10,104 Posts
leftypjb said:
I had an after market remote starter installed on my '02 TrailBlazer. The function that I miss most in my '10 Equinox was that while the TB was running, I could hit the start buttons (2 together), wait 3 seconds and then able to turn the key toward off and pull it out...while the car remained running. Then could get out of the car and lock the doors and quickly run into a store or something. With the Chevrolet remote starter on my '10 Equinox, it doesn't allow this function. You need to turn off the car and then restart it with the remote...useless wear & tear. I agree with all the previous comments about why GM/Chevrolet did certain things.
Does a warm-start really cause that much wear/tear on an engine ? Come on - save the environment a little, please.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Glad I'm not a service tech working under the hood and some of these guys playing with their one button remote starts.....

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Have to agree with RIT333. 6 or 7 extra starts on a starter is going to harm it? Doubt it very much.
Save the environment.....shut it off. ;D I never leave my car running while I run into a store. Too many car jackings lately.

I even shut off my engine at RR crossings when a freight train goes by. ::)

·
Registered
10,104 Posts
GARYD said:
I even shut off my engine at RR crossings when a freight train goes by. ::)
Gary - We're on the same page - I don't know why people will sit at a RR Crossing with their cars running. Personally, I wish the car shut off automatically at red lights - like some cars do. I think thsat works like a golf-cart !

·
Registered
635 Posts
Havent you watched any movies! You never shut off car because if you get pushed onto the track and train is coming car wont start! Rrrurrrruurrruuurrrurrruuu..clickclickclick

·
Registered
10,104 Posts
Both of those events have a very small probability, and the combination of them BOTH happening is VERY, VERY small. I guess I'll take my chances. Probably have a better chance of being struck by lightening.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Check this out!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If someone lets themselves get pushed onto RR tracks, they deserve to get what happens next. Haven't they heard of brakes?
Never in my life have I ever come close to being pushed onto RR track and don't know anyone else that has.
And if there are 5 cars waiting in front of you it's even more impossible.
I won't say it can't happen, but as RIT333 said, it's **** near impossible.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Excuse me but this thread just made me smile and shake my head, "the default is that the 'lock' and 'start' have to be pressed sequentially, and that is a hassle " Image that, a hassle having to push 2 buttons sequentially to remotely start a car-----Man, have we become a spoiled society?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts