·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.4k miles
4,393 Posts
The Viper kit and the GMC kit are about the same price??? I'm not believing this. I see GM part # 84252633, but is that all you need? Also see mention of in-dealership programming required (for the GGMC kit) ... so that's at least another $125.

I agree with @repairman54 , though, ... I'd go with the factory install.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not on a GMC however I had a Compustar added to a 2012 Ford Fusion. There were zero issues and it's been installed for seven years. I don't see it on their web site right now but I got a four-button non-LCD 2-way remote. That thing had about a thousand feet of range (not a joke) and the "2-way" part meant the car sent a signal back to the remote when it actually started and when it shut down.

Their system could be programmed for different run time intervals when installed and I chose 20 minutes because it took that long to clean snow and ice off the windows. 10 minutes was the maximum for my Hyundai factory system so I always had to run it twice.

The Compustar had one nice option that dealers do not seem to know about but I read about it in the manual prior to purchasing so I got it. That was the installation of a thermistor (temperature sensor) under the dash. If the temperature in the car was below about 40 degrees F and the car was remote started, the Compustar system turned on the rear window defroster. No, the car does not have climate control. Yes, I live in the snowy, cold north.

Compustar now seems to bundle in the LTE (cellular) option but I don't know if a cellular subscription is required for a 2-way remote. I really did not want to get Yet Another Monthly Subscription Bill so I stayed away from the cellular option.

The only value I ever saw on the cellular option on my Hyundai was when I was traveling and my car was at the airport back home. If it was going very cold, like single digits, I'd remote start the car from another state every few days. But Hyundai disabled the remote functions after four days of the car not being started by a driver so that was of limited value.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought said OEM kit for $221 and the dealer is charging me $95 to program it. So a little over $300 for OEM remote start, just like it came from the factory. Id say that beats any aftermarket kit out there.
Definitely agree. Only reason I tried viper first was because it was a Christmas gift and installation included. Didn’t work properly. I had them take it off and went to dealer. Mine came to $393 after tax.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Viper kit and the GMC kit are about the same price??? I'm not believing this. I see GM part # 84252633, but is that all you need? Also see mention of in-dealership programming required (for the GGMC kit) ... so that's at least another $125.

I agree with @repairman54 , though, ... I'd go with the factory install.
My sister works for Best Buy and got me the viper kit as a gift. It was $315 roughly before tax with her discount. Installation included. The OEM was $393 after tax. They charged for the part and then $75 for labor. I did Best Buy first because it was a gift but it was haywire so I had it removed and went with factory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts