GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just something to think about! I am planning to add the Headrest DVD's for the rear entertainment. (when I get my T!) I know, I dragged my feet on whether or not to add them at the time of ordering, and when I decided, it was too late. The price I was given from the dealership was $2500. That is just crazy! My local car electronics will install the GMC leather matching headrests for $1450 and $300 more to add the FLO TV tuner. I Checked around locally for prices.
I really don't need them right away, which is why I hesitated initially. My grandchildren don't live close enough for me to have the unit installed right away. But it will be fun to have when they are with me! :D I know they will appreciate it!

Does anyone have the headrest dvd's and is the unit fully integrated into the vehicles audio/video system?
How do you like them (or ask your kids/grandkids!)
Pricing?
Thanks

·
Registered
635 Posts
I know a guy who put the ceiling mounted DVD monitor in. Was around $1400 CND installed. Came with the wireless headphones.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roesterman said:
I know a guy who put the ceiling mounted DVD monitor in. Was around $1400 CND installed. Came with the wireless headphones.
Thanks! Those are nice too! I have the sunroof so the center unit is out. Actually, I like the headrest units because they wouldn't block my rear view mirror when in use. Something I took into consideration. ;)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
crownkid said:
Just something to think about! I am planning to add the Headrest DVD's for the rear entertainment. (when I get my T!) I know, I dragged my feet on whether or not to add them at the time of ordering, and when I decided, it was too late. The price I was given from the dealership was $2500. That is just crazy! My local car electronics will install the GMC leather matching headrests for $1450 and $300 more to add the FLO TV tuner. I Checked around locally for prices.
I really don't need them right away, which is why I hesitated initially. My grandchildren don't live close enough for me to have the unit installed right away. But it will be fun to have when they are with me! :D I know they will appreciate it!

Does anyone have the headrest dvd's and is the unit fully integrated into the vehicles audio/video system?
How do you like them (or ask your kids/grandkids!)
Pricing?
Thanks
FOR as much as it looks like your going to use those dvds, I'd go to wallyworld and buy a set of hangons for 125 dollars and but them on when the kids are there

·
Registered
635 Posts
The factory DVD monitors are not in the headrest. They are in the upper part of the back of the seat and flip upwards when open. When open they are behind the headrest. We love them(keeps kids quiet/not fighting). We also had DVD players in our last 3 Montanas. Wallyworld players are ok but then you have a Warren of wires, cluster of cables and a bevy of batteries to deal with.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When we ordered we included the rear entertainment. My son is 2 and loves it. However, we have created somewhat of a monster. He thinks all cars should have them. The monitors are in the back of the seat and flip up behind the headrest and it came with 2 wireless headsets and remote. Yes, the system is fully integrated into the radio and such. And actually now that I am remembering with the rear entertainment the radio came with the upgraded version. I personally would spend the extra money and get the factory. By flipping the screen down when not in use it keeps the screen better protected. I'm completely happy with the system and have had no problems.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roesterman said:
The factory DVD monitors are not in the headrest. They are in the upper part of the back of the seat and flip upwards when open. When open they are behind the headrest. We love them(keeps kids quiet/not fighting). We also had DVD players in our last 3 Montanas. Wallyworld players are ok but then you have a Warren of wires, cluster of cables and a bevy of batteries to deal with.
Yes, the factory DVD's in the back of the seat are what I dragged my feet on! I am still trying to see if I could add the option to my order before the TPW. I don't know if that will fly. So my second choice is the headrest sets. You are right about the cables and wires-I do not want that in my car--even though I am getting these for the grandkids, I travel ALOT and often have family or friends along so adults will be using them too! Maybe I'll even get a chance to sit in the back seat and watch a show on the road! LOL ;D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TerrainSLE2 said:
When we ordered we included the rear entertainment. My son is 2 and loves it. However, we have created somewhat of a monster. He thinks all cars should have them. The monitors are in the back of the seat and flip up behind the headrest and it came with 2 wireless headsets and remote. Yes, the system is fully integrated into the radio and such. And actually now that I am remembering with the rear entertainment the radio came with the upgraded version. I personally would spend the extra money and get the factory. By flipping the screen down when not in use it keeps the screen better protected. I'm completely happy with the system and have had no problems.
That's great! :) Do you have the FLO TV tuner installed with your system?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nope. No flo tv. We just have about 20 animated movies in the console for him to choose from. Although he tends to watch the same ones over and over again!! The only thing I would change is the wireless headsets. His head is too little for them so I either have to listen to the movie too or he has to listen to music and watch the movie which he really doesn't mind. I tend to just listen to the movie but that drives my husband crazy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The following information is from FLO TV for anyone interested. This is a great addition to your entertainment system. You don't have to have a subscription-you can actually buy it for a month during the time you travel! Less or equal to the cost of a single DVD!
Hope this information is useful for some of you out there!

FROM FLO TV REP------
Thank you for contacting us.
You most certainly may purchaes a month at a time the months you are traveling. This will cost 19.99 per month plus tax. Just to let you know, we do have an annual intro offer at this time. You can purchase 18 months for 199.99 plus tax. That would average out to about 12.00 per month. We will be glad to help you with your subscription
Learn more about our service offerings at http://www.flotv.com/get-flo-tv/auto-device/automotive-packages.
Thanks again for your email.-----

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TerrainSLE2 said:
Nope. No flo tv. We just have about 20 animated movies in the console for him to choose from. Although he tends to watch the same ones over and over again!! The only thing I would change is the wireless headsets. His head is too little for them so I either have to listen to the movie too or he has to listen to music and watch the movie which he really doesn't mind. I tend to just listen to the movie but that drives my husband crazy.
I understand completely! I know many, many movies (disney) by heart from the kids and grandkids watching like a broken record! LOL
Thankfully I love disney too!
As for the headsets, I am amazed that there are not many kid (toddler) friendly sizes -- sure makes sense for todays market!

·
Registered
635 Posts
As far as I can see FloTv is only available in the USA.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Roesterman said:
As far as I can see FloTv is only available in the USA.
You are correct! The coverage does not extend outside of the 48 contiguous states, not at this time.

http://www.flotv.com/

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is another point of interest for those of you who are contemplating and /or considering the rear entertainment DVD's. GET IT when you order! It's half the cost of aftermarket and WAY less of a headache! Like I said earlier, I dragged my feet and then was stuck making a decision on aftermarket products. A problem? No, not really, unless you were thinking along the line of the headrest units!
When I finally decided to have the dvd units added, my choice was limited to the headrest or drop ceiling unit.
Well, I didn't want the drop one because it blocks the rear view mirror when in use. Even though I mostly use side mirrors but nice to have the other when necessary.
So, I wanted to get the headrest set. They are out of the way and are independent of each other.
Now for the PROBLEM--I found out AFTERWARDS, that on the 2011 model of the Terrain. the headrests have part of the safety airbag system in it? My dealership told me this when I asked for an install price. So far though, I have not found any information to confirm that.
If anyone can put a light on this it would be great!
Of course, I am STILL WAITING on my Terrain to be delivered which was supposed to be here over a week ago! But that's another post! LOLOL :D ;D :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fourmoremarine said:
Did I hear somewhere that Flotv is winding down operations? IE: going out of busines
That is what it looks like according to it's own site. I thought it was a fantastic idea and to have access to tv on the road without a cumbersome contract (purchase a month service when you want it!) it should be a big hit!
Sounds like FLO TV needs to find someone to help boost the sales and attract customers with kids. They show commercials for sports fans and that is nice, however, they could improve their sales by directing their advertising towards parents which seems to be a larger customer base for this type of product!
WOW! I could be a sales person! LOLOL :D :D :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts