GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just purchased a summit white Terrain SLE-1 as they didn't have any SLE-2 optioned Terrains available and I didn't feel like any of the additions were must haves, worth waiting for. However, I like the look and functionality of the luggage rails as well as would love to have the steering wheel w/ the audio controls and would like to get bluetooth.

The Dealer said there are installed bluetooth options available but I didn't ask about the others. Can we get the luggage rails and/or the steering wheel ordered and simply installed, or is it not that simple?

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's not that simple.

The issue with the roof rails is that they're built right into the roof to an extent (for strength and stability), so I don't think it's something that a dealer could just easily bolt on. As it's been commented on, the roof itself rather thin, so any sort of railing system would need to be attached to the frame of the vehicle.

Steering wheels can be easily removed and replaced, but it's a question as to whether the wiring harnesses and electronics are present to be able to 'plug in' to the stereo (and whether the base stereo even has that wiring or capability). Sometimes this is the case, depending on how GM manufactured the vehicle. All vehicles start out the same up to a certain point in the assembly line.

As far as bluetooth goes, there's another thread here on it, but also you're likely out of luck. I believe it's a completely different stereo unit in the SLE-1. Your only significant option would be to get an after-market bluetooth kit that plugs into the Aux input in the console. Bluetooth modules are chips that the built right into the system boards of stereos, so it either has one or it doesn't. And given that this is a different stereo unit, chances are it's not there (versus just being arbitrarily disabled, which sometimes happens).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. I did get the same comment from the dealer about the luggage rails a few minutes ago. Evidently there's added framing inside the roof to support the rails and you can't simply drill them in from the outside. The inside support would have had to have been installed from the factory. They thought the steering wheel would work but the cost of the new wheel wouldn't make it a logical upgrade.

It's not that big of a deal, we're still very happy with the car as is. The standards in the SLE-1 package, while missing some nice amenities, still make it a well equipped vehicle and a definite upgrade from the CX-7 Sport we traded in.

The bluetooth the wife didn't really even want because she wants her conversations to be private if there's anyone else in the car. We just need to get her a headset so she can be handsfree.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SnowItch said:
Took care of this by immediately identifying to a caller that so and so is in the car with me. I love the hands free implementation of bluetooth with the auto-muting of the stereo.
I do the same thing...I have it in my infiniti. I think she's just justifying not having it, though she's secretly jealous of mine ;D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I <3 my dealer.

They were very understanding of my disappointment with the lack of options in the SLE-1 I bought, so they held my paperwork until today, when they got in an SLT-1. Not only did I get the same previous incentives, but they knocked off 300 from the price just because it wasn't the exact color I wanted. Additionally, they took back the SLE-1 I previously bought, with no penalties for the ~200 miles I racked up while in my possession.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts