GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my 2010 Equinox 2.4L is currently at 34 000 km / 22 000 miles.

The engine started sounding really bad.

Today at work, after driving a short 2 km to go eat something I decided to make sure there was enough oil.

I stopped the engine, looked on the yellow gage in the engine, removed the excess oil with and old cloth, put it back in, wait a few seconds, remove it again.... NO oil at all on it!

I was surprised because the oil light didn't come up, so did I do something wrong?

Is it normal to add oil between oil changes?

(I don't really know, my only car before this was an old Cavalier 97 that was already over 200 000km when I got it. I was used to add oil, but was thinking a new car shouldn't need it...)

I have an appointment next monday to look at a two kind of weird noises when starting the engine when cold and do an oil change, I'll probably ask them to look at this too if you tell me it's not normal.

(First kind of noise is the "diesel" noise that seems to be well known here, the other one happens after 1 or 2 second the engine started, it makes a sound as if 2 metal parts rubbing together, like SCRRRRSSSHHHH ::)... sometime it's louder... sometime it's longer or shorter but no more than 1 second... sometimes it doesn't happen at all)

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would never depend on the oil light to tell me when to add oil ( at the point it does come on you are usually way way low). Oil level should be checked periodicly on your own. In your case where you may be losing some for whatever reason, check it quite often.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Terra-Nox said:
I would never depend on the oil light to tell me when to add oil ( at the point it does come on you are usually way way low). Oil level should be checked periodicly on your own. In your case where you may be losing some for whatever reason, check it quite often.
Agreed - a common comment about the oil pressure light is that it indicates that your engine has just seized, or is about to ! :thumbdown:

·
Registered
29 Posts
BigBlarg said:
NO oil at all on it!

Is it normal to add oil between oil changes
When was the oil changed, who changed it and how many miles on the oil?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When and the mileage, I don't remember.

I usually change it when it's around 10%. (and it's on synthetic oil)

The car dealer did it, and it is currently at 13%.

I called back the dealer to explain the problem, they told me it would be better to get there tomorrow morning instead of monday.

Edit : And the oil have a strong gas odor... (I do know what it smells, I worked in a gas station for 3 years...)

·
Registered
715 Posts
The 'gas' smell likely means that fuel is washing down into the oil pan. That thins out the oil and allows or makes you use oil past the rings.

Get the oil changed NOW and keep an eye on the oil level. Report the oil smell and have the dealer check into it.

It's not uncommon with the 4 cylinder, judging form the posts about that engine on this forum.

·
Registered
194 Posts
So a car with 22,000 miles has had how many oil changes? How many monts have you owned the vehicle?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car is 1 year and 6 months. It would be my 3rd or 4th oil change. I did what the dealer told me to do... change the oil when the car says to do it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car is at the dealer right now.

When I talked to them this morning they told me : "It is normal for a car to use about 1L of oil every 3000 km."

Seriously? Even my old Cavalier '97 at 270000km didn't use that much oil. I had to add around 0.5L between oil changes...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Another victim of the GM OLM. No way I'm riding out the full OLM on this DI engine.

No good running car with low mileage should use oil in 3000 miles or km's.

·
Registered
371 Posts
GM Oil Life Monitor. That little percentage monitor your watching drop from 100% to 0% before you change your oil.

·
Registered
482 Posts
BigBlarg said:
Oil Life Monitor

For the 'normal' thing, a better term would be 'acceptable' . Some engines tend to use oil between changes and a Liter every 3000KM I think would fall into that catagory by GM standards (like it or not). It sounds like yours is using more then that and should be kept an eye on.

·
Registered
371 Posts
BigBlarg said:
Then, when am I supposed to change the oil?
IMO, even if using the synthetic oil I won't go more than 5000 miles or 6 months between changes. This 2.4 DI engine is showing to be very hard on oil. I actually haven't gone beyond 3000 miles yet. I've read several UOA's (used oil analyis) as well as my own UOA from this engine and they aren't pretty. Fuel dilution is high in most all of them and I think all of them that I've read the oil sheared from a 5w-30 to a 5w-20 oil viscosity.

I just don't like waiting as long to change my oil as the OLM would take it. Changing more frequently is cheap insurance to dump out any contaminants and get fresh oil in the engine. I think GM intentions for the OLM are good, however to many things can happen in an engine in the time/mileage it takes to drop from 100% to 0%.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Every 1000KM ;)

There are many different ideas on when it should get changed, the OLM is supposed to have some fat in it (meaning it will suggest oil change BEFORE it might really be needed). I use it as a guide and typicaly change oil at around 20% (10% if I can't get it done sooner). Many seem to think there is some magic to the 3000 mile change, whether you are driving in one hundred degree stop and go traffic or easing done the road at 60 MPH in 50 degree weather most of the time.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Here's an FAQ about OLM.

http://assets.cobaltnitra.com/teams/repository/export/975/c7820afba1004895010145efa6b30/975c7820afba1004895010145efa6b30.pdf

One thing to keep in mind is the system is only a calculation of engine revolutions, temp, starts, etc. It does nothing to magically test the oil. It's based on how you drive your car and the conditions you drive it in. For example it will drop faster in winter months or a lot of short stop and go trips or drop slow in summer months or more long highway trips.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Then would it be better to switch back to the old standard (mineral?) oil AND change it more often? Synthetic oil is not cheap...

·
Registered
371 Posts
BigBlarg said:
Then would it be better to switch back to the old standard (mineral?) oil AND change it more often?
Some would suggest doing so, but those with 2011's and newer would be going against the GM recommendation to use Dexos oil. Obviously I'm just some forum post with an opinion, but I just can't get myself to follow the OLM on this engine. I also change my own oil so I save a little there. I use synthetic for less $ than standard oil change at any shop.

On my 2005 Silverado 5.3 I get closer to using it, but that's an entirely different motor.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Lucky for me, most of the cars I've owned didn't use any oil at all.
A NEW car shouldn't either. With the improved materials and machining and quality control (?) tolerances are tighter and the "quart in 3000 miles is acceptable!" is a load of B.S..

Synthetic oil, particularly a brand name one, should be able to go the length of the OLM countdown. Of course, as the original poster said or implied, he didn't check the oil level enough.

The OLM is set for conventional oil in most cases. Even the new models should be, and are, set for the Dexos oil and GM has shortened the interval on some of their OLMs, particularly the 2.4 L engine.
Re-programing is being done on some that are in for service.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts