GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to add OEM remote start to a terrain that was built without it? Im thinkin its possible to reprogram the BCM and program 2 new key fobs to the RCDLR to make this work, but Im just looking for more input from anyone with experience.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
jerm said:
Is it possible to add OEM remote start to a terrain that was built without it? Im thinkin its possible to reprogram the BCM and program 2 new key fobs to the RCDLR to make this work, but Im just looking for more input from anyone with experience.
I'm pretty sure that GTPprix can do this. Try a search on this topic, and I'm sure you will find some discussion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already did a search and didn't find anything other than him saying he could do it. I want to know if I can do it

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
jerm said:
I already did a search and didn't find anything other than him saying he could do it. I want to know if I can do it
Unless you can re-program ECUs, you would probably have a difficult time. I don't think it is a "plug and play" modification.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RIT333 said:
Unless you can re-program ECUs, you would probably have a difficult time. I don't think it is a "plug and play" modification.
I can reprogram ecus. Im a service tech at a chevy dealership :)

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
jerm said:
Seems like since you are a Service Tech, then you should have no problem installing it. Can you also make modifications to the DIC screens like GTPprix has done ? He has also been able to restore the ability to roll up and down the windows from the key fob, and also disable the DRLs. If so, where are you located, and how much would you charge ?

THX

·
Registered
161 Posts
My understanding is that an after market module/ mod was available from GM for the 2010 Terrrains to add remote start. Last time I checked, it was not available for the 2011. I will ask my service man next time I see him.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a 2008 Silverado and it was possible to add factory remote start by just going to the dealer and having them program the ECU... However, they said it was not possible to do on the Equinox or the Terrain.

·
Registered
193 Posts
jerm said:
Then why do you need to go to an internet forum to ask this question?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dishdude said:
Then why do you need to go to an internet forum to ask this question?
Just because Im a service tech doesnt mean I randomly go into vehicle ecus and see which ways I can program them. I'd rather ask first and know it can be done instead of blindly diving into something on a whim.

Thanks for contributing though!

·
Registered
36 Posts
On Sept 26th 2011 it was listed as an accessory on the GMC Accessories website but i checked today and it is no longer there. I have been searching for a part number but I am unable to find it. I have contacted GMC and the dealer and neither will not acknowledge is was on the website and there was a part number.

TO:GTPprix or someome that knows: what is needed to have a factory remote start? Is the only thing you have to do is enable it with a Tech II and buy a keyfob with remote start? or do you have to have a module or wiring harness or something else?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tahoebigah said:
On Sept 26th 2011 it was listed as an accessory on the GMC Accessories website but i checked today and it is no longer there. I have been searching for a part number but I am unable to find it. I have contacted GMC and the dealer and neither will not acknowledge is was on the website and there was a part number.

TO:GTPprix or someome that knows: what is needed to have a factory remote start? Is the only thing you have to do is enable it with a Tech II and buy a keyfob with remote start? or do you have to have a module or wiring harness or something else?
i checked about a week ago and it wasnt on the accessory web site either. SI lists it as an accessory option though, but the part number it gives is invalid in the parts catalog.

they dont even list the advanced 2 way remote start as an option. I kind of believe that is because of the new style key/fob though

·
Registered
193 Posts
jerm said:
Just because Im a service tech doesnt mean I randomly go into vehicle ecus and see which ways I can program them. I'd rather ask first and know it can be done instead of blindly diving into something on a whim.

Thanks for contributing though!
Let me contribute some more, this has been discussed in multiple threads previously. Thanks for contributing and creating another duplicate thread!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dishdude said:
Let me contribute some more, this has been discussed in multiple threads previously. Thanks for contributing and creating another duplicate thread!
Well as i stated earlier, I've already searched and didnt find the answer i was looking for. So once again, thanks for your contribution, but please take your superior reading skills and find another thread to up your post count in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been reading up on it and it looks like all you would need to do is reprogram the bcm. The only possible roadblock I saw was the option being blocked by the VIN. Dont know much about the TECH II but is this something you could look at or do you need something really specific to look for like changing the RPO code?

Another thing I saw which might be possible is if you get a new BCM you get to program it first before it becomes VIN locked so that might be another option to look at.

I wish I had a Tech II so I knew what I was talking about ;D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you'd be wasting your money getting a tech 2. It doesnt work on the equinox or terrain

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
jerm said:
i checked about a week ago and it wasnt on the accessory web site either. SI lists it as an accessory option though, but the part number it gives is invalid in the parts catalog.

they dont even list the advanced 2 way remote start as an option. I kind of believe that is because of the new style key/fob though
I would be happy to attempt to clear this up for you. In order to do so, I will need the last eight of your VIN. You can contact me privately. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As long as you have on star you shoule be able to use the iphone app to start the car. If you can do this a fob that would transmit a signal to start the car would seem lilley to me. I have both the fob and the app. Very nice on colde days !

regards

·
Registered
472 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts