GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Chevy Equinox LT1, so it doesn't have the upgraded stereo system. I have my amp and two 12" subs from my old Chevy (Colorado) and I was hoping to put those in my Equinox, but it looks like that might not be able to happen. At first I was going to use what I thought was an empty subwoofer cubby in the back until I realized there is an 8" ANC speaker in there, plus I think it would rattle too much anyway. So I will just build a speaker box to fit the subs in the back, so that is not a problem. It is the amp that I am worried about, not sure how to hook that up without replacing the factory stereo head unit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so I got the amp all hooked up using the adapter. Then the issue was the ANC (Active Noise Canceling) module was making a horrible sound through the sub at start up (or below 2k rpm's). I asked the stereo shop about disconeecting the ANC module and they said they called JL and some other places and he was told the only thing to do would be to cut the wire to the speaker. I said NO WAY!!!!

After doing a little research, I discovered that the ANC module has it's own fuse. Fuse #7 to be exact. Pulled it! The system sounds fantastic now and I haven't had any further trouble with the stereo since then. :thumb:

·
Registered
163 Posts
On my 2012 when I pulled the #7 fuse I lost the ability to turn on radio with key out of ignition. So its either remove the ANC wiring from the sub at the amplifier under dash and send instead stereo inputs to it through an extra amp. Now personally the thought and application of the ANC is novel but I have a loss of higher frequency hearing and actually at times find the low freq tone pulses from the ANC annoying. But I do not drive it anyway, the wife drives it, she has normal hearing.

Yes I can "feel" the sound cancellation working, kinda like real light constant puffs of air past my ears. If I was driving the Nox on a daily basis I would definitely remove ALL the ANC, since I drive concrete mixers for a living I am used to noisy engines. To me the Nox is NOT noisy, but again I have a near total higher frequency hearing loss.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Silverado6x6 said:
Yes I can "feel" the sound cancellation working, kinda like real light constant puffs of air past my ears. If I was driving the Nox on a daily basis I would definitely remove ALL the ANC, since I drive concrete mixers for a living I am used to noisy engines. To me the Nox is NOT noisy, but again I have a near total higher frequency hearing loss.
I thought that the 4 cyl. engine noise that GM was eliminated with the ANC was the low frequency noises, hence the use of the sub woofer for the noise generation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For me, the ANC was more trouble than good. I kept thinking my front speakers were blown (even had the dealer replace them once), but it turns out it was the ANC doing it's thing. I have always driven trucks in the past, so they were very noisy, so to me my Equinoz is like a Cadillac, quiet and comfortable. So I had no problem making the decision to pull the fuse to disable the ANC. Since I am running an amp and subwoofer, I personaly would not want to run the stereo without the engine running, I would end up eating through batteries like crazy. Also, in order to disconnect any wires to the factory speakers, and/or microphones, your either have to cut or take apart the interior pretty extensively, which can then lead to rattles and creeks. Pulling the #7 fuse was truly the best option.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whiffer2 said:
If I pull the #7 ANC fuse, will it disable the stock woofer? Or just the ANC piece of it? Thanks all
It is just the ANC, if you look in your owners manual, the schematic says #7 is ANC. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
whiffer2 said:
If I pull the #7 ANC fuse, will it disable the stock woofer? Or just the ANC piece of it? Thanks all
What year model is your vehicle? Do you have a Terrain or Equinox? Or SRX? I'm assuming you have the 4-cylinder? (Because no V6 came with the ANC.)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
2015 Equinox 1LT V6 w/Pioneer system here. Anyone know the color codes for my wires to intercept my HU's signal BEFORE the amp. Got an old school system I'd like to transplant! Eclipse 10" subs, MB Quart mids/highs, Orion power!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
BandDirector said:
2015 Equinox 1LT V6 w/Pioneer system here. Anyone know the color codes for my wires to intercept my HU's signal BEFORE the amp. Got an old school system I'd like to transplant! Eclipse 10" subs, MB Quart mids/highs, Orion power!
You might message member " rednox301 ". He has the complete Chevrolet manual and wiring diagrams. But I think this has been discussed and is in several threads here on the forum. Try a search with different keywords like "subwoofer" "amplifier", etc.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Yes Jaytee is right it should be.. but the key word is amplifier..not 100% sure if it is the 3rd or 4th thread. You will figure it out.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Re: Re: Add Amplifier and Subwoofers without replacing factory stereo

BandDirector said:
I posted the wire colors for the low levels from the head unit before the amplifier. However, they're for the 2013. I won't know if they're the same for the 2015. But could be a good start.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Re: Re: Add Amplifier and Subwoofers without replacing factory stereo

whiffer2 said:
whiffer2 said:
2012 equinox Lt 4cyl. Thank you
You didn't say if you have the premium sound package, but that might be standard for the LT trim? Frankly, the answer to your question is as simple as you actually just pulling fuse #7, then turning on the radio to see if the sub works. Why don't you try doing that?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I did a search, but the thread I found looked like the person tapped the wires AFTER the amp and it wasn't clear to me if someone posted up the wire colors pre-amp. I'll double check and post up if I have questions...all the stuff is still in my '04 Saturn Vue, and I've got to start getting it stripped so I can sell it.

I have to admit I've been playing with the idea of buying the stock sub enclosure off of eBay and trying to modilfy it to accept one of my Eclipse 10" subs (8710.4). It only requires 0.5 cu. ft. sealed enclosure and the stock enclosure seems to be about that. I know I'd have to dremel out the "ribs" in the box for the required depth, but my next concern is how thick is the box? I've got the same sub in a JL stealthbox in my '98 Z28 and it seems to be about 3/8" to 1/2" thick, so depending on how thick the stock enclosure is, I may have to reinforce it with fiberglass on the inside, but that would take way some air space. I like the JL stealthbox for the Equinox, but it seems it's anywhere from $449-$549 online and I'd like to avoid that if at all possible...but it's not out of the realm of possibilities...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=6075.msg101301#msg101301

Chas said:
Curious: why didn't you use the Low Level source from the head unit? (The brown, brown/white, tan, and dark blue wires in the other connector?)
The wires that are called out in this thread are the High Level outputs to the rear speakers. This is after the OEM amplifier processes the sound. I would believe there would be less distortion if the low level sources were used from the head unit directly to your new sub amp instead of processing the Low Level in the OEM amp, converting back to Low Level, then finally back to your new sub amp? (Also, I don't know if the OEM amp cuts out any of the lower frequency from the rear speaker outputs?)
I don't think anyone has actually tapped these pre-amp wires, though. And like I mentioned, these wires are for a 2013. GM made some changes in 2014, so I don't know if they're the same colors for 2014+.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, so I got the amp all hooked up using the adapter. Then the issue was the ANC (Active Noise Canceling) module was making a horrible sound through the sub at start up (or below 2k rpm's). I asked the stereo shop about disconeecting the ANC module and they said they called JL and some other places and he was told the only thing to do would be to cut the wire to the speaker. I said NO WAY!!!!

After doing a little research, I discovered that the ANC module has it's own fuse. Fuse #7 to be exact. Pulled it! The system sounds fantastic now and I haven't had any further trouble with the stereo since then. :thumb:
Do you have the wiring diagram with the audio control?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 Chevy Equinox LT1, so it doesn't have the upgraded stereo system. I have my amp and two 12" subs from my old Chevy (Colorado) and I was hoping to put those in my Equinox, but it looks like that might not be able to happen. At first I was going to use what I thought was an empty subwoofer cubby in the back until I realized there is an 8" ANC speaker in there, plus I think it would rattle too much anyway. So I will just build a speaker box to fit the subs in the back, so that is not a problem. It is the amp that I am worried about, not sure how to hook that up without replacing the factory stereo head unit.
What color wires do u hook up together I tried dark green and light blue white

1 - 19 of 19 Posts