GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we are supposed to have ACOUSTIC LAMINATED GLASS to help quiet cabin, triple door seals and liquid applied sound dampner on our Equinox's.
So far all I have seen is the front windshield has acoustic glass. Are we supposed to have this on all the glass because there are 7 more places this could be ? What is triple door seal? What is liquid applied sound dampner and where is it applied?
Dealer knows nothing!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
ccharlie said:
So, we are supposed to have ACOUSTIC LAMINATED GLASS to help quiet cabin, triple door seals and liquid applied sound dampner on our Equinox's.
So far all I have seen is the front windshield has acoustic glass. Are we supposed to have this on all the glass because there are 7 more places this could be ? What is triple door seal? What is liquid applied sound dampner and where is it applied?
Dealer knows nothing!!!
Acoustic glass for the windshield, laminated glass for the front door windows. Check the labeling in the glass on each window and it'll tell you there. The acoustic glass for the windshield as that's where most wind noise comes from; it's a form of laminated glass but dampens noise better. Laminated glass isn't common in this class for the front door windows but it also helps with noise, mainly wind noise. The back door windows and rear glass is tempered, not laminated and definitely not acoustic. For most cars in this price range, it's laminated for the windshield and tempered elsewhere. These small GM crossovers definitely use a pricer glass to keep noise down.

Triple seal: open the door, look at the weatherstrip seals on the door and the car's door opening. That'll tell you the number of seals. They keep noise, especially wind noise (and of course water) out of the passenger compartment.

As for the liquid sound dampener, I'm guessing in the wheel wells. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
136 Posts
excell explanation by Tmats. If the side window glass is laminated, similar to windshield, you'll see a plastic sheet (kinda like Saran Wrap) on the top of the window edge , if you lower the window and look close at the top edge. It's sandwiched between 2 layers of glass. Won't be there in back side windows. Truly is an unusual luxo feature bat this price point.

I think the "liquid" insulation is in both the wheel wells and door posts? Works pretty well in unit I spent 1/2 hour testing.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I had a "Captain Obvious" moment today as I was reading an article and I wanted to resurrect this way old discussion. My apologies to those who have already figured this out.

So, I am reading that as of 2018 all new vehicles must have laminated side window glass, just like the windshield. No biggie, Equinox's have had that since 2012 (or so). The rationale is that laminated glass would help secure the occupants inside the vehicle in a rollover situation.

What I hadn't think about was the difficulty of getting out of the vehicle (or getting in) should an emergency window egress be required.

I've seen countless videos of people breaking side windows with a small hand held seat belt cutter/ window breaker emergency tool. Some have pointy hammer like heads or some sort of spring loaded device that when struck or pushed against the glass causes tempered side windows to shatter and allows the occupant to escape. Now those tools are pretty much useless, given the windows in our vehicles.

On new vehicles the windows will not shatter and once you manage to break the glass the plastic laminate (between the glass) has to be cut / sawed / kicked the rest of the way out to allow egress.

So, just something to remember should the situation ever arise.

Have a great week!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts