GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Equinox is putting out a gas smell if ac is left on before staring engine. Sometimes it put's out the gas smell
when I turn ac on while car is running. Almost 80% of time ac is putting out this gas smell. It is very strong, makes you dizzy and sick to your stomach, I actually had to pull car over for fresh air. Went to dealer today and agent looked to me as though I was crazy, to busy come back Monday. I had same problem with my 2016 Equinox and dealer refused to help find problem. It lasted about 8 months and went away. I can't go that long this time. They say if they cannot duplicate problem then it does not exist. Wonder what school taught them that reply. Anyway gas is
smelling like propane or antifreeze. Any help would be appreciated. This is a lease car with 1200mls. Maybe a private lab to determine what the fumes are, because dealer does not know.. HELP ME:sad:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Why would you lease a 2018 model if the 2016 had fumes that lasted 8 months and the dealer refused to help find the problem?

2018 is a totally different model so no problems would carry over, also it doesn’t use r134 anymore as refrigerant so that’s not a related issue either if that were the original problem... the new refrigerant has a kinda different smell to it so i’d say that’s not the issue. id day the big issue here is the dealer not being very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW, I am shocked @ some of your response's- 1999 White C5 Coupe, guess why?? the 2018 had GREAT incentive and can lease for a great price plus I am at a different dealer. Kastner 03, If it's not r134 what gas's could it possibly be??? probak118, If the dealer would test drive the car they would definitely smell the problem. The problem is that today's service industry uses computers to determine everything, there is no hands on training and dealerships will not spend $$$$$ on things they can't get reimbursed from the manufacturer. Come on guys , this is a real issue and I am looking for serious answers only, I want to resolve the problem not discuss
could of should of would of???????????????????????

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd drive it with window open a little and try another dealership. Could be a leak somewhere or a catalytic converter not doing it's job.

·
Registered
955 Posts
WOW, I am shocked @ some of your response's- 1999 White C5 Coupe, guess why?? the 2018 had GREAT incentive and can lease for a great price plus I am at a different dealer. Kastner 03, If it's not r134 what gas's could it possibly be??? probak118, If the dealer would test drive the car they would definitely smell the problem. The problem is that today's service industry uses computers to determine everything, there is no hands on training and dealerships will not spend $$$$$ on things they can't get reimbursed from the manufacturer. Come on guys , this is a real issue and I am looking for serious answers only, I want to resolve the problem not discuss
OP, you're being a bit sensitive. Kastner was defending your buying the 2018 and telling you that it's not r134; he didn't say it isn't the current refrigerant. Probak118 is suggesting that you give the dealership service department a crack at resolving it; granted, you haven't had success in the past (and it appears that may have been a different dealer/service department), but if the smell is as prevalent as you state (80% of the time)--and they still can't diagnosis, take to another dealership. If the tech doesn't drive the vehicle, then escalate to the service manager--I've never met one that wouldn't agree to go for a ride with me.

You came hear looking for assistance and suggestions; they (with the exception of the ONE that questioned why you purchased) offered things to address as possible ways of identifying a solution. We can't diagnosis a smell thru the forum, but we can offer different approaches. You've got to accept their inputs with an open mind; they really are trying to help!:wink:

·
Registered
660 Posts
If it is smelling strongly then as mentioned Kastner it cannot be the AC refrigerant.

The 2018 uses R1234yf which has a very slight odor and is non-toxic according to this fact sheet

https://refrigeranthq.com/r-1234yf-refrigerant-fact-info-sheet

pre-2014 cars r134a was used and that smelled like ether it seems....i am not sure what the 2016 used though. By law there should be a sticker that tells you when you open the hood.

Some people are oversensitive to some smell...so the question is are you sensitive to the plastic smell that new cars have which outgas itself over time (especially that you suffered it from 2 new cars) ?

Here are some tips to accelerate that outgasing...

https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-New-Car-Smell

·
Registered
531 Posts

are you asking what gas could the smell be or what gas is he refrigerant ? the refrigerant is r1234yc 134 is now a thing of the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the follow up, not sure what the exact smell is. Only thing I know is that it comes when the AC is on. What other smell could it be.????? I'm 6'2" & 250lbs not a sensitive type of guy. What fume can burn your eyes and make you noxious

·
Registered
660 Posts
Thanks for the follow up, not sure what the exact smell is. Only thing I know is that it comes when the AC is on. What other smell could it be.????? I'm 6'2" & 250lbs not a sensitive type of guy. What fume can burn your eyes and make you noxious

Allergies and sensitivity to chemicals have nothing to do with size or appearance of hardiness:wink: I am 6 ft and 220 lbs and mulberry flowers makes my eyes water uncontrollably with eyes swelling and lungs clogged to near pneumonia if i do not take care.

2 new cars and same symptoms that went away with first new car aging......A reasonable guess would be some allergic or chemical sensitivty reaction to the new plastic offgassing or outgassing...whatever the correct verb.

you can easily try it by leaving the car with open windows in hot sun for a few days and venting it with fan blowing at max when driving and the vents open for a few days and see if that improves it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ac vent odor equinox 2018

My equinox 2018 have a same probleme ,the ac is on I stop the motor stop and restart after 30 second ac smell chemical product .qc canada ,I go 3 time to dealer didn t fine the problem . I try a brand new equinox 2018 samthing

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem from here 2017 Chevy Equinox 2.4L AWD LT

Odd enough I have the same problem, I doubt its the antifreeze or refrigerant as I'm not loosing either. The smell happens with AC on or off. Also it happens with both hot and cold air. Although now that rain comes around sometimes, NOT always, the smell gets bad enough I have to lower the windows and freeze until the smell goes away, usually after 5 minutes. My family notices the smell every time they get in the car. They say my car smells like mold. This smell happened both during the summer and during the cold months also. Not sure where it could be coming from. Also I'm not that sensitive to normal smells but this on gets strong. Funny enough as this doesnt always happen I dont want to take it to the dealership and have the same "We could not smell anything" excuse that you guys have been experiencing. Now, I know this is a common issues as there are quite a few complaints about this throughout the webs. This seems to happen on all models from 2010 to even the latest 2018 which is odd as it is completely redesigned. Was considering upgrading to newer model for new features but seeing it carries same problems GM refuses to fix I will more likely stay away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Odor in 2018 Terrain

We have the same problem with our new Terrain. My husband doesn't notice it but he has a poor sense of smell. I notice the odor about 30% of the time and associate it with the ac kicking in. The odor makes me sick to my stomach...It will go back to the dealer after Christmas. I love the vehicle & hope it can be fixed soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Equinox and noticed this odor from the day I got it after it shuts off at a stop and restarts there is a slight odor. I corrected it recently by changing the cabin air filter with a charcoal impregnated cabin filter and no more odor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts