GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Just buy and use the UPF63R upgraded filter as I mentioned earlier. Same 22PSI bypass filter and more robust construction. Problem solved.

Or the Champ PH1500 for less than $6 ea with shipping on Rock Auto. I just ordered 4.
Even less each if you buy 5 or 6.

Reactions: Daedra

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
…and Rock Auto has the WL10255XP for $6.78! 🤔
Check out the Champion Labs PH-1500 [Luber-finer] version . . $3.41! !. Normally $10 to $18.
Heavy duty well designed and equal to the ACDelco Gold Ultraguard and made in U.S.A. Even less than the WIX at Rock Auto.

https://champfiltration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Champ-March-NPI-PH1500.pdf?zoom=75

Here it is $18 on Amazon - - Amazon.com: Extended Life Oil Filter PH1500 by: Champ Labs: Automotive

Champion Labs makes many filters for heavy duty commercial applications and European uses.

·
Registered
2013 GMC Terrain SLE-2 3.6L Crystal Red Tintcoat
67 Posts
Wow, what timing...I have an appt. tomorrow for full syn. Dexos oil change at my local Chevy dealer. Hopefully they'll be installing the correct filter. I never thought GM would go so far as over engineering a freakin' oil filter!.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I spent the last half hour looking around the web and I couldn't find any details about the change on the official GM sites.
I did however find the following on eBay from a seller listing the "new" PF63 filters:

View attachment 17806

View attachment 17807

So, according to this, the new and improved "e" style filters have been improved yet again by using a steel end cap and a larger gasket. Then they apparently decided to re-use the original PF63 designation as if the PF63e never happened.

The chart also indicates that there is a new improved version of the PF64 used on the 1.5 (LYX)and 2.0 (LTG) turbo engines, but they didn't change the PF64 designation, just the part number.

So... according to this, if you want the latest and greatest PF64 version for your 3.6L LFX, be sure that it is GM part number 12707246.
In your last paragraph you mean PF63, not 64...correct?. I know, it shouldn't be this confusing

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am getting ready to change the oil in my 2015 V6 GMC Terrain. From the factory it came with a PF48 filter, which they apparently use at the factory to ease assembly line production, however GMC states that this vehicle requires the PF63E filter. There is a PF63 filter but it was recommended not to use it because of the different bypass valve pressure than the PF63E. Fast forward to 2021, I went to the store and found that they are now only selling the PF63 which is in a different box. I checked around and it seems that the PF63 has in fact replaced the PF63E now. Can anyone confirm this?

This site says it does replace the PF63E.
I've been using Wix on my 2013 since new. Here's the Wicked contact info. They actually answers phone calls.

WIX Sales:
(704)864-6748

Filter Interchange/Application Hotline:
800-949-6698
Customer Service:
(704)864-6748

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Wix WL10255 are $1.64 at Rock Auto! With shipping and tax, I just ordered 12 for $29.61. Research says same bypass valve rating, but better filtering than PF63 and higher burst rating! Can’t beat that price shipped!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Didn’t get the XP, the standard Wix is better rated than standard AC Delco I’ve been using for the past 145K miles. I’ve got 2 PF63E’s left, so these 12 Wix should get me to 200K miles.

…oh, and rock auto even let me enter a 5% discount code an hour or so AFTER I placed the order, so I saved another dollar 🤦‍♂️😁

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Wix WL10255 Vs. AC Delco PF63E
-BOTH have 22psi bypass valve setting
-Wix has 350 psi burst rating Vs. 253 psi for AC Delco
-Wix filtration: “Laboratory Test Performance per ISO 454812: dirt-holding capacity of 18 grams and 99% efficient at 23 microns (a human hair is roughly 70 microns in diameter)”
Vs. AC Delco of “98% multi-pass filtering efficiency at 25-30 microns for excellent filtering capabilities.”

Seems the Wix is a better filter for 1/2 the price of the AC Delco based on Rock Auto pricing!

·
Registered
67 Posts
So is it safe to say that this WL10255 is the same filter as the base NAPA pro select oil filter?. Just asking because I have two left.
BTW: I did take advantage of a local Chevy dealer $49.99 6 quart Dexos oil change coupon a couple of weeks ago, and they did install the 'new' PF63. That's a decent deal for a Syn. oil change, especially here in So. Cal.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
So is it safe to say that this WL10255 is the same filter as the base NAPA pro select oil filter?. Just asking because I have two left.
BTW: I did take advantage of a local Chevy dealer $49.99 6 quart Dexos oil change coupon a couple of weeks ago, and they did install the 'new' PF63. That's a decent deal for a Syn. oil change, especially here in So. Cal.
I’ve always heard Wix makes NAPA brand filters…so I would think so…

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
NAPA gold are Wix or at least they used to be, not sure on the rest of the line.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I just bought 4 of the (made in U.S.A.) Champion Laboratories (Luber-Finer) PH1500 Oil Filters which are identical to the heavy duty PF63 upgrade UPF63R ACDelco Ultraguard.

Unlike the Mobil 1 filters now made in Korea, the PH1500 is made in the U.S.A.

The Champion Laboratories PH1500 from Rock Auto is $3.41.
Champion Laboratories has been making quality filters for many years for automotive, commercial, specialty and industrial applications. They make high end oil filters for ACDelco, Motocraft, and other private labels

The UPF64R is recommended for Corvette and Camaro engine use.

The Champion Laboratories PH1500 is identical to the ACDelco PH63R heavy duty filters having the same 22-PSI bypass.
GM has a TSB out on the PF63 and PF63e recommending the UPF63R for increased burst strength and filtering efficiency.

The Champion Laboratories (Luber-finer) PH1500 has the exact same size, stamping, weight and internal structure of the ACDelco UPF63R filter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just checked the very similar part number of the Napa pro select (2100255), it should be the exact same filter as the Wix WL10255.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Dozen Wix filters just showed up. I’m due for an oil change now, so I’m just gonna skip over the last 2 PF63E’s I have left and try the Wix now just in case I discover an issue…like I did early in my Nox’s life when 2 different K&N oil filters wouldn’t seal and I had a leak 😡

·
Registered
512 Posts
I am loving the Quaker State dexos full synthetic 5W-30 and STP Extended Life oil filter combo on my Equinox. It is currently running smoother and quieter than it ever has. The first 57K miles of its life was on dealer oil and OEM ACDelco filters every 5K-7K miles. Then at 57K miles I changed it myself with STP full synthetic oil and an ACDelco filter. Then at 60,000 miles changed to the QS oil and an STP filter. Very noticeable improvement.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts