GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to change the oil in my 2015 V6 GMC Terrain. From the factory it came with a PF48 filter, which they apparently use at the factory to ease assembly line production, however GMC states that this vehicle requires the PF63E filter. There is a PF63 filter but it was recommended not to use it because of the different bypass valve pressure than the PF63E. Fast forward to 2021, I went to the store and found that they are now only selling the PF63 which is in a different box. I checked around and it seems that the PF63 has in fact replaced the PF63E now. Can anyone confirm this?

This site says it does replace the PF63E.

·
Registered
2018 Equinox 2LT 2.0T FWD V92
65 Posts
I am getting ready to change the oil in my 2015 V6 GMC Terrain. From the factory it came with a PF48 filter, which they apparently use at the factory to ease assembly line production, however GMC states that this vehicle requires the PF63E filter. There is a PF63 filter but it was recommended not to use it because of the different bypass valve pressure than the PF63E. Fast forward to 2021, I went to the store and found that they are now only selling the PF63 which is in a different box. I checked around and it seems that the PF63 has in fact replaced the PF63E now. Can anyone confirm this?

If that ain't confusing, I don't know what is!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
…I actually noticed the same thing at Wal Mart the other day…I’ve only got 2 PF63E filters left and I’m on the hunt for more…I usually buy a case of 12…

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
If that ain't confusing, I don't know what is!
If you want confusing check out bobistheoilguy on the net.
By the way the PF 63F is now out.

Daedra, I use the PF 63E, E is for e-core
I got some at WalMart a month ago about $8.50 each.
Amazon also has them.

·
Registered
2018 Equinox 2LT 2.0T FWD V92
65 Posts

I spent the last half hour looking around the web and I couldn't find any details about the change on the official GM sites.
I did however find the following on eBay from a seller listing the "new" PF63 filters:

So, according to this, the new and improved "e" style filters have been improved yet again by using a steel end cap and a larger gasket. Then they apparently decided to re-use the original PF63 designation as if the PF63e never happened.

The chart also indicates that there is a new improved version of the PF64 used on the 1.5 (LYX)and 2.0 (LTG) turbo engines, but they didn't change the PF64 designation, just the part number.

So... according to this, if you want the latest and greatest PF64 version for your 3.6L LFX, be sure that it is GM part number 12707246.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It used to be that I would use an OEM filter when changing my oil. Now I just use whatever mid/high tier filter I can find at the time for the application. As long as the filter media is rated for 10,000+ miles it should work fine for the 5,000-7,000 miles that it is in use. Especially considering I always use dexos licensed 5w-30 full synthetic.

Changed my oil a few weeks ago. Used the STP Extended Life oil filter that came with the oil change "bundle" at Autozone. It fit perfectly, was Made in the USA, and the engine is actually running quieter than it ever has.

There are only a handful of manufacturers of oil filters. Odds are the AC Delco is simply a rebranded version of some other filter. Last I checked, AC Delco oil filters were made by Champion Laboratories. Champion also manufacturers filters for several other brands, including STP.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
…it’s my understanding that the PF63F is just the designation for the bulk back of filters…the ones the dealers use that don’t come with boxes…

Reactions: rednox301

·
Registered
644 Posts
I am a freak for factory filters

according to google
The older PF63 has a by-pass pressure of 12 PSI. The newer ecore PF63E has a bypass pressure of 22 PSI. If your application calls for the 63E and runs at a higher oil pressure, it's possible the classic 63 might run with the bypass open, allowing unfiltered oil through. ... the pf63 is disc.

·
Registered
644 Posts
unfortunately shhh shh shhh from what I understand these motors love bypassing the oil filter ???IDK WHY??? but yea that filter should work fine anyhow but shhh hush hush on gm bypassing the over rated oil filtering feature available on these motors I understand that oil is like 25+ psi anyways, so whatever filter you decide will work.

·
Registered
75 Posts
"Adhered with hot melt." Why does that not inspire confidence?

Tom

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

according to google
The older PF63 has a by-pass pressure of 12 PSI. The newer ecore PF63E has a bypass pressure of 22 PSI. If your application calls for the 63E and runs at a higher oil pressure, it's possible the classic 63 might run with the bypass open, allowing unfiltered oil through. ... the pf63 is disc.
The new PF63 is not the same as the old PF63. I think its stupid GM kept the product name, however the product numbers are different. The new PF63 meets the PSI bypass spec.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

according to google
Odd that GM would issue a TSB back in 2015 that only the PF63e should be used and now goes back to PF63.
I now use the UPF63R which is an upgrades to the PF63e.

There was a TSB 19-NA-020 bulletin I have for Acadia that also used the PF63e OEM filter on +2017 3.6L LGX engines. It indicated that the UPF63R filter is "recommended" for 2 reasons.
1) It has the same 22PSI bypass pressure.
2) It has more robust components including a thicker metal outer case.

Here also is an attached pdf published by Champ oil filters. A very good filter that also makes many OEM filters.

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
WTF, how does anyone know which one to use anymore?

2014 Terrain SLE-2 /Silver Sky Metallic / 3.6 L V6 / AWD / Pioneer Stereo / 85,600 miles as of March 2021

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,842 Posts
Just for the record, I had been using SuperTech filters for 10 years with my 2011 Equinox. But late last year, Walmart stopped carrying SuperTech filters (probably negotiated the vendor’s profit margin to zero! LOL!). Anyway, I ordered a dozen off-brand filters online (made by Wix, apparently). They’re the same size as some of the Purolators I’ve also used ... about 3/4 length (between the very short, and overly long ACDelco filters).

And yeah - I have the 3.0L engine - which is not subject to GM’s “musical chairs” oil filter game with the 3.6L engine...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Wix filters have been my choice for oil filters for my ''fleet'' for a long time now.

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Wix filters have been my choice for oil filters for my ''fleet'' for a long time now.
I like Wix too, but I can’t seem to find the bypass valve pressure rating, so I haven’t switched to them for my Nox…

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Let me add a little wrench into this.
the 3.6's did come from the factory with a smaller filter with Red/White label which we (including me) thought was a PF-48. in reality- its a PF-64.
the label says replace with PF-63.

from a service bulletin- 2/17
"
These V6 engines are factory built with an ACDelco® oil filter PF64, which is commonly confused by many in the automobile service industry as an ACDelco® PF48 because both oil filters have the same appearance and oil can size. However these two oil filters are not the same and have different internal specifications. The OEM PF64 oil filter has a much higher bypass valve rating that matches the service oil filter requirement of the PF63E which was specifically chosen to match the performance demands of these engines.

The ACDelco® PF64 oil filter installed by the manufacturing plant meets the specifications of the ACDelco® PF63E, but due to the length of the ACDelco® PF63E oil filter can, the engine plant cannot build with it because it currently interferes with the assembly line process.
"

Reactions: JayTee2014
1 - 20 of 40 Posts