GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an issue with the AC compressor cycling every 15 seconds? Took it into service last week for this issue. They emptied out the freon and re-charged. Drove out and did not use ac for a few days. It still does the same thing. I will say that the weather in south Florida has been relatively cool at 55-70 degrees and you would think that it would not ask for more cool. Maybe will have to wait until we get into the 80's and 90's to see how it really works. Plus the blower fan is really noisy after the number 3 setting. I do not mean a metallic or bearing noise but just loud! Guess that's"normal" And of all things no AC vents in to rear seat area! Enough ranting. I still think the Equinox is the best in it's catagory and I do like driving my Silver Ice Nox.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
How humid has it been? If its been high, the AC compressor will kick on to dehumidify the air before sending it to the cabin to keep the windows from fogging. ;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
bballr4567 said:
How humid has it been? If its been high, the AC compressor will kick on to dehumidify the air before sending it to the cabin to keep the windows from fogging. ;)
A/C runs when defog runs.(keeps wind shield clear, even in winter with heat on) Gm cars have been like this for at least 15 yrs that I know of.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Roesterman said:
A/C runs when defog runs.(keeps wind shield clear, even in winter with heat on) Gm cars have been like this for at least 15 yrs that I know of.
Yup.

However, itll run the compressor whenever the car calls for it not just when its on defog. Another safety thing instituted by law.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Three conditions will cause a/c to turn on regardless of season.

A: Any setting is used involving defog
B: Manually turning on a/c.
C: Climate control turns on a/c due to rise in cabin temp

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like it operates like a heat pump system used in homes. Compressor runs for heat and cool both.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Indeed, the AC is all-season.
If you have the Auto Climate Control, just set the temp you want and forget it.
Be sure the AC LED is "ON".
On a long cruise, that's the best way so you don't have to fidget with the fan and temp settings all the time.

·
Registered
446 Posts
There is a very good reason for the A/C to cycle a lot. GM figured out a few years ago the way to make an A/C compressor last a long time was to keep the freon cycled in it often to keep the gaskets and such from drying out. So in all GM vehicles since the mid 90's, they all cycle the A/C often no matter what the weather. One of the many reasons GM can offer longer warranties than other companies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts