GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok 2012 terrain; 2.4 awd, driving a few days ago and abs,service stabilatrac and traction control light all on, scan abs codes,getting C0040,sub code brake switch fault and right front wheel speed sensor,replace both,(did not replace bearing) only sensor, same issue now.
Drive for a few feet,all lights go off,drive a few hundred feet and hear the abs pump kick on and bam all lights return? Wires all seem ok? Next step wheel bearing?
I’m also a bit confused as everything I’m seeing my code C0040 is right front speed sensor, but on my cheap scanner in says brake switch fault (sub fault) so I replaced both, I have never noticed issues with brake lights not working or intermittent flashing, just thought it’s a cheap part do it!
I did notice with the speed sensor disconnected the lights will all remain on and no abs pump check or whatever it’s doing, my thought is that it’s receiving a signal from the wheel?

·
Registered
152 Posts
A chipped reluctor tooth or a worn wheel bearing can cause code C0040. Since you replaced the Wheel speed sensor the bearing is probably next. Can you look in the sensor hole while rotating the hub to inspect the reluctor for damage?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried but was unable to see in there, am I correct that pre 2012 you could see the reluctor ring from the back?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I got a C0045 code on my 2011 last August (2019), haven’t done anything about it, and after seeing it routinely throw the Stabilitrack and T/C alarms on the cluster through the end of last year, I haven’t seen it in months (since Dec or Jan).

Explain how that happens ...

P.S. I had a tire blow out on this wheel in September of 2016 at 98,000 miles. Didn’t get the C0045 code for three more years at 133,731 miles. Related somehow? Maybe not. Haven’t seen the code in almost 5,000 miles now...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts