GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 2015 GMC TERRAIN, MY ABS AND STABILIZER LIGHT ARE ON.
WHEN I FIRST TURN CAR ON NO WARNING LIGHTS ARE VISIBLE BUT AFTER I DRIVE AN TRY TO BRAKE I GET
A GRINDING SOUND COMING FROM THE BRAKES THEN WARNING LIGHTS GO ON THE THE GRINDING SOUNDS STOPS. I BUT NEW BRAKES,ROTORS AND CHECKED ABS SENSORS THAT LOOK NEW. DOES ANY ONE HAS HAD THE SAME ISSUE IF SO WHAT CAN I DO

·
Registered
224 Posts
So based on your original post, when starting to move the abs and stability lights will come on. When these come on you will have codes. When you took it to your mechanic it may be possible that when he plugged in his scanner the vehicle had been shut off and then started. That may be why no codes showed up although they should have been in History. It is also possible that your mechanic may not have had a scan tool that would read the EBCM. As Lagger said above, it is probably the abs sensor but you will need a proper scan to narrow it down to what side etc.. Get that fixed and the stability warning will also go out. Good luck with it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok eventhough I. He k abs sensors and they look new no dirt or grime or can it be the abs module. I was not there when my mechanic checked my brother in law went. Everything works except for the warning lights and everything looks new. Thank you both for your input

·
Registered
224 Posts
Its really good to help and I hope you get it sorted. Do not look at the condition of the sensors in of themselves, there are plenty of items that fail that look really good. People get brand new car batteries and the battery fails internally so exterior condition does not indicate performance. Now can it be the ABS module? It is possible but highly unlikely as there are other more likely items to look at first. You really need to scan the vehicle especially if those lights are on, that way you have the best shot at capturing the problem. As this is the ABS system, the codes will start with C. It will probably also give you piece of mind that its not the abs module and the expense that will incur. Let us know what you find as it will help the rest of us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I did obd2 scanning and no dtc available. Took for a 2 mile drive and nothing registered. Obd scanner was still trying to pick abs system but no codes given what should be my next step. Any suggestion

·
Registered
224 Posts
Based on what you are saying, the scanner that you are using is not meant to read those codes. It is not surprising as some scanners will only read the powertrain codes and nothing else, no B,C only the P codes. Rather than springing for a more expensive scanner, you should be able to go to Autozone or equivalent and have them read the codes for you. Ask first if their tool will read ABS codes (it should) and then you will have a better idea. Bring someone with you to stay with the car as you will need to keep it running, otherwise those lights will go out and they may not be able to read anything. If the lights are on, and they plug in and cant find anything, then you may have no choice but to go to a dealer and let them tell you the problem, you may then have a problem the ABS module itself not communicating (very rare)
Sorry i cannot help you beyond that, I do not have the information I need to be more pinpointed.

·
Registered
744 Posts
U codes need to be read also. Those are CAN communication codes. All 4 code families need to be read to get the big picture for a true diagnosis.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure if similar but when I had my 2012 Terrain, I had the ABS and service stabilitrak lights on, pulsating brakes and the dealer replaced the wheel hub.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok I changed the both front sensors and light still is going on with pulsating brakes.
I did have battery disconnected to try a reset computer but computer did not reset.
I am looking for ECU fuse but can't locate it, the owners manual is not giving me wear to find it any suggestion on where
is the ECU fuse located

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok FYI guys i was able to have abs/stibilitrak light go off. I changed both hub bearings and the front driver side hub sensor was broken i will attach the picture. it's a shame that the hub bearing itself was still good. But i changed both for
my piece of mind and problem was fixed thank you for all your help

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
We had this same problem with a 2012 Terrain. the problem is with the front hub bearing. The magnetic strip on the inside edge of the bearing is where the speed sensor picks up the signal. This strip will be fractured, broken or missing. You have to replace the hub to fix the problem. You may as well do both because this has been a known issue with these vehicles. you may also find that the lower ball joints will be bad when you get into the job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same issue. Had my tires rotated last week. No sooner did I leave within 15 minutes, the abs/stabilitrak come on while braking and feeling a pulse sensation. I took it back to the place that rotated the tires they said it was the hub assembly driver side front $433.24. I am having no grinding or loud noises when breaking or driving. The Speed sensor replaced yesterday by a mechanic I trust. The abs/stabilitrak still on solid when I start the car. Any suggestions? Its extremely annoying.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have the same issue. Had my tires rotated last week. No sooner did I leave within 15 minutes, the abs/stabilitrak come on while braking and feeling a pulse sensation. I took it back to the place that rotated the tires they said it was the hub assembly driver side front $433.24. I am having no grinding or loud noises when breaking or driving. The Speed sensor replaced yesterday by a mechanic I trust. The abs/stabilitrak still on solid when I start the car. Any suggestions? Its extremely annoying.
Code scan is required to know why warning is on. No other way to determine what's going on without a system scan.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Not that I want to sound like a jerk but there are 4 code families which are P, B, U and C and brake codes are not in the P code powertrain family of codes. Hopefully your mech. can scan all 4 code families because if there is a message there should be a code set.
You can pull off the negative battery terminal for 15 min. and see if it goes away, sometimes the system needs a reboot other than that it needs to be deep scanned.

·
Registered
224 Posts
palmtrees4815
Registered

Joined 11 mo ago
5 Posts
#16 1 d ago

I can imagine how annoying this can be, a couple of thoughts, firstly i would not take it back to that tire shop, $433 for a hub is expensive, you can get 4 for that price. With your trusted mechanic, how did you come to suspect the speed sensor? When the sensor was replaced, is that when you scanned the car? You could have several scenarios at play, the hub assembly would need changing, the abs pump, the abs module. Guesses really, parts replacement, so the only true way is to get the car properly scanned by a upper level scantool, as repairman mentioned. It really is a pity that we are getting to the stage that you need a computer just to diagnose the most basic of problems. Good luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts