GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been looking at the Terrain for a few months now, and finally think I am ready to move forward. I am going to go with the SLE-2 since that has everything I want but I am uncertain about one thing.

4 cyl or V6?

Test drove both, the 4 cyl just seems a little slow off the line, like my 2008 Saturn Aura which had the same 2.4 engine. It's a great car otherwise and once you get moving it's fine. The V6 was peppier off the line, but seemed the same once you got past 15-20MPH. I also liked the feel of the electric steering on the 4 cyl also.

Any advice from owners who have had the opportunity to drive for longer than a test drive?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I getting ready to place my order and it's taken a lot of thought on this myself.
I will be traiding in a 2008 Cobalt SS (2.0 Turbo) that can go 0-75 mph (sec.) 8.2 to something that can go 0-75 mph (sec.) 14.5
But I need a lot more room for my trips to Yellowstone and when I go to star partys (10 Meade telescope)
So that big question was do I go I4 or V6.
Right now I am leaning towards the I4, I really need to mpg that it can get.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Don't let someone else tell you what to buy. Drive them both and make YOUR own decision. It's your money, spend it on what YOU want, not what other's think you should buy!!! ::)

·
Registered
635 Posts
If you are going to use vehicle for frequent towing get the v6. I got the i4 and do some light towing.
I4 is peppy if you dare to step on the pedal. If you baby the gas pedal it will feel sucky.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Roesterman said:
If you are going to use vehicle for frequent towing get the v6. I got the i4 and do some light towing.
I4 is peppy if you dare to step on the pedal. If you baby the gas pedal it will feel sucky.
Exactly.

Seriously, the only reason to get the 3.0 V6 is the towing rating.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same question when looking for my terrain. I got the dealer to let me have one for the afternoon and I drove my typical routes. Going up and down hills, on the interstate and back roads that were familiar to me. I found to I4 to be just fine. I'm comparing it to my previous 3.7L Jeep liberty. It won't win many drag races, but for me, the mileage is more important.

But it's your money. With either engine the terrain is a great vehicle.

Chad

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got an Equinox with the I4 as well. Remember that this engine is new and has direct fuel injection. It is peppy when it needs to be.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I don't think either engine is the "wrong choice", but if you are like me and never plan to tow anything the I4 will give you the bonus of great gas mileage considering the size/weight of the Terrain. As others have said, the I4 likes to rev since the power band is in the upper rpm ranges, and the engine loosens up nicely after you get 4-5k miles on it. Neither engine is going to win many stoplight drag races, but if that is a priority then a different type of vehicle should be on the menu. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like everyone else has said, drive it and see what works best for you. I like some extra power and while I loved the gas mileage of the I4, I just wasn't sure about it, so I went for the V6. Still waiting on my 2011, so we'll see if I'm happy with it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just a question here, would there be any benefits having in the V6 with AWD in snowy situations? I want a vehicle that can handle some snow as I leave early in the morning to get to work and plow and the roads are less then desirable at that point in time.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Only if you are in a drag race - LOL.

I would guess that the 4 cyl. might be a bit better than the 6 cyl. because it would have less torque at lower rpms, and less apt to spin the wheels from a stop. However, I think it would be such a small difference that it should not be a factor in this part of the decision. IMHO

·
Registered
306 Posts
I must say that in my years, and yes they are many years, I've never seen the issue of engine size in a particular vehicle be such "a big deal". Generally people pick the vehicle, engine and accessories that THEY want. Here, people have to go out to the forum and take a poll to decide on what other people think they should buy. This never ceases to amaze me!! Seems to me that car companies offer options (options = choices) like engines so we can configure the vehicle so it meets OUR needs, not someone we've probably never met on a forum. WHY then, do we need to know what everyone else thinks we should put under the hood--drive both engines and figure it out for yourself, after-all, whose money are you spending? ::)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Couldn't of said it any better. Test drive both and decide what you want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got the v6 with awd. If I wanted fwd, I probably would have gone with the 4. Drive them both, and order the one you feel will serve your purpose.

PS, I love my v6 awd. Has been good on muddy roads, and should be good when we get snow this winter.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did drive both (fwd models), and the 4 cyl was so sloooow off the line. The V6 was much better in that regard. After I got moving, the 4 cyl seemed perfectly fine. I have a feeling the fuel economy would be very similar with both.

I have had 3 cars that had 4 cyl Ecotec engines, and I loved them! I never heard of anyone having any issues with them, the oil filter is simple to change and the electric power steering feels great.

If it wasn't for my love for the Ecotec, I would easily choose the V6. I just wanted to see if anyone had "regrets" on an engine purchase.

I went out this weekend and test drove the Acura TL/TSX, Hyundai Tucson and the Terrain. The Terrain was by far my favorite of the bunch! I know what options I want, now it is just which engine!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Real world gas mileage isnt that close.

Here is my fuelly link:

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/bballr4567/terrain

Our last few fill ups have been all screwy due to tons of traffic and my wife driving around at work.

Currently, our tank is averaging 26.4 with the same city driving. Ive had to reteach the wife how to drive it and to not make it downshift while on the main road here.

If you do get the I4, dont be afraid to give it some gas to get going. If you pussyfoot around, itll be slow to speed but if you give it gas, itll respond nicely.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bballr, you have pretty much the exact Terrain I am looking at. Minus the heated seats - don't need those in Las Vegas :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts