GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tricia

Since you regularly monitor this forum, I am sure that you are aware that one of the biggest topics of discussion is the 2.4L Engine noise at start-up. There seems to be a lot of speculation about cause and repair procedure, but I'm not sure that anyone has the straight GM-opinion.

Many owners have been dissatisfied with their vehicles because of this problem to the point of trading in for other competing vehicles, and swearing off GM forever, many have lemon-lawed their vehicles, and others are just plain angry.

I would think that you, being a representative of GM, ought to have the desire, and power, to be able to find out what is really going on, and be able to report it back to the forum members.

Can you do the forum members this favor, or does GM really not know what is going on with their vehicles, or do they not care about keeping their customers happy after the sale ?

Tricia - please help us out on this one !

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
good post RIT333. I went the lemon law route, and because of the weak lemon law rules in Michigan, I'm stuck with the rattling startup lemon and a little monetary settlement..

I just want a reliable vehicle. Dont care about the money..

No support from GM or my dealership- Jim Causley Buick-GMC, clinton twp. MI.

I'm not sure what my next route will be, but I'm looking at other cars, Not GM products...

I kinda feel like going to the dealer and seeing if i can trade-in my terrain for 2012 model...but My experience with them so far ....I know they wont go that extra mile to make me a satisfied customer..

This Terrain is such a great product too! I really cant find anything else I want in the same price range!

·
Registered
515 Posts
If you are having a noisy start up, look at an entry in this section called Check Engine light - P0690. The poster said that after applying a software upgrade, his engine quieted down.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Iliketerrain said:
If you are having a noisy start up, look at an entry in this section called Check Engine light - P0690. The poster said that after applying a software upgrade, his engine quieted down.
Hmm... from what they say in that post, it sounds like that work bulletin is kind of specific. Hopefully they will post back in a few weeks if they are still noise free.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Iliketerrain said:
majority of the cases dont have a check engine light...Just an intermittant rattling startup...

I dont think the OP wants to start another thread on this already heavily discussed issue that GM continues to ignore..

He is just pleading with Tricia, the GM cust. assistance rep who works on this forum, to please talk to someone higher up the chain of command at GM. TO show them all this discussion...heck...Google 'Terrain/Equinox startup noise'....And to get us a solution..

·
Registered
949 Posts
What continues to surprise me is the number of new people coming forward all of the time, and posting on Edmunds.com with the issues of start-up/stalling.

If you keep an eye on that forum, there is a few new people every WEEK coming forward. But there is still no solid solution or response yet. Almost like they know it might be unfixable and they are just trying to shy away from it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
tart
wrusprod said:
majority of the cases dont have a check engine light...Just an intermittant rattling startup...

I dont think the OP wants to start another thread on this already heavily discussed issue that GM continues to ignore..

He is just pleading with Tricia, the GM cust. assistance rep who works on this forum, to please talk to someone higher up the chain of command at GM. TO show them all this discussion...heck...Google 'Terrain/Equinox startup noise'....And to get us a solution..
It's obvious to me that GM has no cure all solution or certainly it would be out there.There is something going on with compatability issues whether mechanical or software and GM is chasing their tails trying to get them in sync.I am sure Tricia has taken our matters up the line of command and it has been to no avail,at some point the gavel will come down on GM and they will have to address them.You are right Russ,in the 3 month time frame of my problems I never had a engine light come on.I now have the amount of miles on the new Terrain as I had on the Lemon Lawed one(2200) and it is nstill running fine and I still cringe every time I start it.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I can understand and do apologize for your frustrations. I have taken several routes to report your concerns. I even set up cases for several of you at one point or another. At this point the most I can advise would be to contact your agents and dealers and to continue to work with them towards resolution. I will also update you with any new information if and when it becomes available. Thank you again.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
I can understand and do apologize for your frustrations. I have taken several routes to report your concerns. I even set up cases for several of you at one point or another. At this point the most I can advise would be to contact your agents and dealers and to continue to work with them towards resolution. I will also update you with any new information if and when it becomes available. Thank you again.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Tricia, I for one appreciate your efforts: Thank you.

However, the plea here is, I think, for more active acknowledgement and answers from GM. Many of the dealers are really trying to figure this out (as those of us on this forum know, there *are* exceptions but that's another issue). The agents simply contact the dealers. But beyond that all we have are a limited recall notice and some service bulletins. There is SO MUCH that remains unanswered: For example,
-There are "rumors" of a bad batch of actuators used in production and in parts distribution. Is this true, and if so, how can good actuators be differentiated from defective ones?
-There are several vehicles that have had all of the prescribed work done and are still malfunctioning. What is the reason, and what can be done to fix them?
-There are on-going questions about the role of the oil, and reports of dealers being instructed to go back to dino oil. What role does the oil play in these issues, and what oil best mitigates the problems without causing other adverse effects?

But overall, what is the cause of these issues; and what is the "ultimate" solution? There are now over 125 vehicles that have been reported with one or more of the symptoms on the "issues" and related threads. While that may not be a huge percentage, it is still a pretty significant number! Can you PLEASE redouble your efforts to assist beyond the usual "agents and dealers" answer. There is clearly an issue here, unique to the 2011's with the LAF engine apparently, and the PLEA is for answers as to the cause and the solution: Not on a case-by-case individual basis but as to the 2011 LAF engines that exhibit this progression as a group.

Thank you.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tdog - Well said !

In other words, the owners of '11s deserve some answers, instead of being left in the dark.

Thanks for anything that you can do to help them. :thumb:

·
Registered
91 Posts
RIT333 said:
Tdog - Well said !

In other words, the owners of '11s deserve some answers, instead of being left in the dark.

Thanks for anything that you can do to help them. :thumb:
Depending on the number affected, a class action law suit may be in order.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I agree...Well said Tdog..

Tricia..I too appreciate your efforts..

But I hope that if you do work with GM, you must have some management level person that you can go to and state that you have an unusual amount of people with the same issue which has continued to occur, and more people are reporting it and no solution. I first mentioned my issue in April '11 and still have the rattling startup noise.

Tricia, I am now at a point where I went through the Lemon Law, it has been settled. I unfortunately still have the same vehicle with the rattling startup noise. GM doesnt have to treat me like I have a disease anymore (lemon law settled..). What do I do???

Without a concrete solution, I dont want to go back to the dealer again, be looked at like an idiot..have them not duplicate it and do nothing and send me home..I did that for 7 months..

We need a solution...I want to take it back to dealer, have them do the solution...and be done with this and enjoy my car for the next 4 years...

·
Registered
29 Posts
wrusprod said:
Tricia, I am now at a point where I went through the Lemon Law, it has been settled. I unfortunately still have the same vehicle with the rattling startup noise. GM doesnt have to treat me like I have a disease anymore (lemon law settled..). What do I do???

Without a concrete solution, I dont want to go back to the dealer again, be looked at like an idiot..have them not duplicate it and do nothing and send me home..I did that for 7 months..
Kinda confused on your settlement, did they just give you a longer warranty on your vehicle?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tdog - Agree with everything in your post and well stated. Between all the folks on this forum with the same issues and now all the people on Edmunds.com that are posting in with all the same issues I would bet between the forums out there, and there are several more (gminsidenews.com, and others) that there are well over 500 or so people with the same equinox or terrain 4 cyl engines with the same issues. And think of the many people that might have these issues and just not realize that it's a real issue. You'd think GM would want to deal with this appropriately, but it it's as big as I think it might be then it will cost them a fortune for a recall and a fix and i'm sure the bean counters are telling them to just wait it out and deal with each case as it comes up. In the end, it may end up biting GM/Chevy in the ass in a couple of different ways, whether class law suit or just losing a boat load of future customers.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Dark Age53 said:
Kinda confused on your settlement, did they just give you a longer warranty on your vehicle?
Michigan Lemon Law is weak (Big Three Headquartered here, probably has something to do with it.)

since my car is driveable, and the dealer couldnt duplicate it during the final repair attempt ( though they did hear it on a previous repair attempt) my attorney said that its almost impossible to get a refund or replacement.. so she fought for money settlement..settled with some money from GM...(not enough to really do anything)

During my lemon law case, i had to have no contact with GM or dealer..unless I had a breakdown..

now that its settled..back to where I was..rattling startup..still have the GM warranty- 100k..no extended warranty.

again, a little money to shut me up, but all i ever wanted all along was a fixed vehicle...after months of dealing with GM case workers,BBB, Lemon Law Atty.....and here I am back where I started in April..

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
wrusprod said:
Michigan Lemon Law is weak (Big Three Headquartered here, probably has something to do with it.)

since my car is driveable, and the dealer couldnt duplicate it during the final repair attempt ( though they did hear it on a previous repair attempt) my attorney said that its almost impossible to get a refund or replacement.. so she fought for money settlement..settled with some money from GM...(not enough to really do anything)

During my lemon law case, i had to have no contact with GM or dealer..unless I had a breakdown..

now that its settled..back to where I was..rattling startup..still have the GM warranty- 100k..no extended warranty.

again, a little money to shut me up, but all i ever wanted all along was a fixed vehicle...after months of dealing with GM case workers,BBB, Lemon Law Atty.....and here I am back where I started in April..
In your case..what does the word 'Settlement' mean? Did the money 'shut you up'? You still have the GM warranty...but yet is the 'rattling start up' covered for that duration...or now permanently settled with the money payout? Guess I'm still having a hard time figuring out just what GM got for their money....

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IceMan said:
In your case..what does the word 'Settlement' mean? Did the money 'shut you up'? You still have the GM warranty...but yet is the 'rattling start up' covered for that duration...or now permanently settled with the money payout? Guess I'm still having a hard time figuring out just what GM got for their money....
Good question ! If they gave him a cash settlement to shut up, seems like that implies that GM has no clue how to fix it, and we'll give you $x to keep you "happy", right ? Otherwise, they would have gone ahead and fixed it. This sounds like a bad omen !

Can't wait to get the answer !

Soap Opera - "As the Car Turns"

·
Registered
949 Posts
Tdog said:
Tricia, I for one appreciate your efforts: Thank you.

However, the plea here is, I think, for more active acknowledgement and answers from GM. Many of the dealers are really trying to figure this out (as those of us on this forum know, there *are* exceptions but that's another issue). The agents simply contact the dealers. But beyond that all we have are a limited recall notice and some service bulletins. There is SO MUCH that remains unanswered: For example,
-There are "rumors" of a bad batch of actuators used in production and in parts distribution. Is this true, and if so, how can good actuators be differentiated from defective ones?
-There are several vehicles that have had all of the prescribed work done and are still malfunctioning. What is the reason, and what can be done to fix them?
-There are on-going questions about the role of the oil, and reports of dealers being instructed to go back to dino oil. What role does the oil play in these issues, and what oil best mitigates the problems without causing other adverse effects?

But overall, what is the cause of these issues; and what is the "ultimate" solution? There are now over 125 vehicles that have been reported with one or more of the symptoms on the "issues" and related threads. While that may not be a huge percentage, it is still a pretty significant number! Can you PLEASE redouble your efforts to assist beyond the usual "agents and dealers" answer. There is clearly an issue here, unique to the 2011's with the LAF engine apparently, and the PLEA is for answers as to the cause and the solution: Not on a case-by-case individual basis but as to the 2011 LAF engines that exhibit this progression as a group.

Thank you.
Tricia- Tdog put it very well. I also appreciate your help, but we know (and understand) that there is only so much that our customer service agents can actually do for us. What we want, is communication. Not with our dealers, (because they keep going in circles, or just throw in the towel, because THEY don't know any answers) but we want communication with and from GM.

We appreciate your efforts, and quite honestly, your efforts may be the only ones that many of us here have. Financially, and emotionally, we need answers. Each one of us needs THE FINAL solution to this problem just as much as the other.

My husband isn't living in a 12-man tent in the middle of a desert in a foreign country for 12 months to come home to brand new year old car that stalls when we pull out into traffic. I, for one, will make sure that does not happen. He doesn't deserve that. If that means I have to take legal action, then I will. You can bet your bottom dollar that I will.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
yeah, i probably shouldnt have said 'shut up money'...but thats how I personally feel..

the settlement is instead of replacing or full refund...which they wont do..(I could drag it out in court...but my lawyer didnt really think I had a strong case,for Mich. lemon law...it was still running..)..

The idea is they want to make me a happy customer, we wont replace or do any fix...but here is some money...

The idea being, if and when the engine goes, i have some money to put toward a new engine.

they didnt give any extended warranty...I still have the standard warranty and can still take back to dealer to continue to repair for the issue..

once i get the settlement...I'm going to see what options I have..or Im going to hope they find a repair...and I will take back to dealer.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Should we start posting on their facebook pages again?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts