GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FINALLY picked up our new Terrain on Saturday morning after waiting 13 weeks!!!

SLT-2
4 cyl FWD
carbon black metallic

We do not have the navigation system or rear DVD. One of the first things I noticed when I got to messing with the stereo was that the treble seemed a little weak, and seemed biased towards the rear. Sure enough, when I put my ear right up to the tweeters on the A-pillars I do not hear anything. This is with the balance/fade all the way into that corner, and the stereo turned up pretty loud. I hear sound from the woofers on the doors and the center speaker on the dash, but nothing from the A-pillars.

Anyone "heard" of this before??? Sorry for the terrible pun. Looks like I will be bringing it into the dealer to get looked at.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I don't think they install 8 speakers unless you get the "premium sound".
Could be the "sub-woofer" and "a pillar" speakers are some of the ones not installed?
I'm guessing, by all means ask your dealer.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I think all SLT-2s have the premium stereo. In fact, I believe everything above SLE-1 has the 8-speaker system.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Terrain said:
I think all SLT-2s have the premium stereo. In fact, I believe everything above SLE-1 has the 8-speaker system.
SnowItch said:
All nox/terrains get the 4 door speakers and the two column speakers. All models also get the subwoofers - the subwoofer is only used for music if you get the 8 speaker sound system. The only speaker that is only found in the 8 speaker system is the center speaker mounted on the dashboard.
Thanks guys/Gals!
ajbowman, based on that info, sounds as though you'd be best off to bring it to the dealer.
:(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update - my wife brought the terrain in to the dealer this afternoon. The salesman (not a mechanic) popped his head in and said "they are working fine" and that was that. I was pretty disappointed because I could swear they are not working. So when I got home I turned the treble ALL the way up and mid/bass all the way down. If I put my hand over the tweeters I do hear a difference so they must actually be working.

I messed with the EQ a little and ended up with treble all the way at +12, mid and bass at zero. Anyone else think there is not enough treble???

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
ajbowman said:
update - my wife brought the terrain in to the dealer this afternoon. The salesman (not a mechanic) popped his head in and said "they are working fine" and that was that. I was pretty disappointed because I could swear they are not working. So when I got home I turned the treble ALL the way up and mid/bass all the way down. If I put my hand over the tweeters I do hear a difference so they must actually be working.

I messed with the EQ a little and ended up with treble all the way at +12, mid and bass at zero. Anyone else think there is not enough treble???
Play a song with a lot of highs like Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield.

If you can't hear the highs in that one, then maybe get opinions from friends, the neighbours, etc.

·
Registered
635 Posts
ajbowman said:
update

Have you had your hearing checked lately?...Higher frequencies are the first to go... This is from WEB MD http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/hearing-loss-symptoms

Symptoms of hearing loss include:

Muffled hearing.
Difficulty understanding what people are saying, especially when there are competing voices or background noise. You may be able to hear someone speaking, but you cannot distinguish the specific words.
Listening to the television or radio at higher volume than in the past.[/color]
Avoiding conversation and social interaction. Social situations can be tiring and stressful if you do not hear well. You may begin to avoid those situations as hearing becomes more difficult.
Depression. Many adults may be depressed because of how hearing loss is affecting their social life.
Other symptoms that may occur with hearing loss include:

Ringing, roaring, hissing, or buzzing in the ear (tinnitus).
Ear pain, itching, or irritation.
Pus or fluid leaking from the ear. This may result from an injury or infection that is causing hearing loss.
Vertigo, which can occur with hearing loss caused by Ménière's disease, acoustic neuroma, or labyrinthitis.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ironically I just had my hearing checked last week at work (I work in an industrial plant and have it checked every year) and I am as good or better than my baseline.

I think I just need to ride in the car a little more and see if I get used to it. We will see.

·
Registered
65 Posts
gearhead said:
Play a song with a lot of highs like Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield.

If you can't hear the highs in that one, then maybe get opinions from friends, the neighbours, etc.

gearhead...........that is one excellent musical choice...................and yes it sucks to loose your upper range ,I have been suffering from tinnitus for 5-8 years.

·
Registered
136 Posts
ajbowman said:

I agree with you. Check my post in another thread, as I am a audio nut I found this from day one. But will fix it.
We also have the premium Pioneer system and the upper octave just is too low of output..

I have our Terrain booked into a shop which has given approval for me spend a few hrs with them.I have full audio measurement systems PRAXIS, SoundEasy as well as MLSSA. These systems I perfer Praxis for measurements on the fly. This Stereo shop will allow me to take my system to the shop set it up and measure our factory system once the wiring is exposed. Plus I will then do measurements with a few changes we are doing by switching out the Pioneer speakers with another few sets. This may be all for no cause if the amp in the system is also set with a crossover. If no sound quality changes with a simply speaker change then next will be a AMP change.!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts