GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Hubby just installed a tiny red LED light in the (gosh, I don't know what to call it even) the 'cubby' hole that is directly in front of the gearshift. It's mounted in the top (ceiling) portion so that it shines down onto the black liner on the bottom.
It's so cool!!, made we wonder why GM didn't put a LED light there to begin with. Makes it so much easier to see at night.

Along with that, he took the AWD decal off the back liftgate and put it directly under the power point inside this same cubby hole, so that the chrome AWD decal lights up too with the newly added red LED.

And of course, the usual tradition of debadging the entire back end and with the purchase of a new 'TERRAIN' decal, he centered that beneath the license plate (same height as the factory position of the decals) but with enlarged spacing so that it reads all the way from the insides of the reverse lights (it's stretched out). Looks so HOT!! on Black.

I'm going to have to steal back my extra key fob, just to keep his fingers off my truck!! Ha-Ha ;D

·
Registered
10,499 Posts
How 'bout some pictures ?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
PICTURES.......We gotta have PICTURES. ;D
Sounds cool.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never posted pics before, so here we go. I must warn you I'm not a professional, my Hubby has one though for his cars and such but he wasn't available. So I don't know how these are going to turn out on the forum. I can't get a good picture of the center console with the light on so I'll have to get my guy to do that later.

I'm just waiting for my new plate to arrive in the mail so that's why ICEBEAR is still on.

As you can see, ONXBEAR shares her bedroom with the 'HOG' nicknamed TAZ and previously mentioned EMILEY MY06 Custom Supercharged 2.4 Solstice http://www.pasmag.com/features/top-rides/284-snow-bird [/color] (under the lift) and GDZILLA the fearsome tuned MY09 R35 GTR on top.

I'll have to downsize some images of EMILEY and GDZILLA and post in that other thread one day soon here as I promised sometime ago already.

So my apologies for the car covers being on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Very slick!
"T E R R A I N"
8)
Can't wait for more pics!
Thanks, ONXBEAR!

Just curious, why not "ONYXBEAR"?
Too many letters for Alberta Plates?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'm having a hard time picturing this in my mind...is the AWD badge in the interior now or still outside in a different place?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
NoobNox said:
I'm having a hard time picturing this in my mind...is the AWD badge in the interior now or still outside in a different place?
I think it's inside, under the HVAC controls where you'd put your sunglasses, for example.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the accolades :) and yes, too many letters for AB plates...

gearhead said:
Very slick!
"T E R R A I N"
8)
Can't wait for more pics!
Thanks, ONXBEAR!

Just curious, why not "ONYXBEAR"?
Too many letters for Alberta Plates?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gearhead said:
I think it's inside, under the HVAC controls where you'd put your sunglasses, for example.
You'd be correct gearhead,
I just have to decide what design or emblem to have printed on the black liner so that the LED will light it up. I'm thinkin' an actual Bear outline would look cool!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
ONXBEAR said:
You'd be correct gearhead,
I just have to decide what design or emblem to have printed on the black liner so that the LED will light it up. I'm thinkin' an actual Bear outline would look cool![/color]
Indeed it would.
8) :eek: ;D
What colours are you thinking?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thinking of putting the outline for the "Bear' design that will go on the black liner in white then that way when the red LED light shines on it, it would contrast nicely together. :)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
ONXBEAR said:
Thinking of putting the outline for the "Bear' design that will go on the black liner in white then that way when the red LED light shines on it, it would contrast nicely together. :)
Indeed, white would set it off nicely!
I was thinking maybe even a red outline to match the interior stitching during the daylight.
Depending on what the paint composition was, it may become a little "too red" at night?
Even a blue outline may give off a purple-red glow at night?
Whatever the case, please do post up some pics if you get a chance!

·
Registered
13 Posts
ONXBEAR said:
My Hubby just installed a tiny red LED light in the (gosh, I don't know what to call it even) the 'cubby' hole that is directly in front of the gearshift. It's mounted in the top (ceiling) portion so that it shines down onto the black liner on the bottom.
It's so cool!!, made we wonder why GM didn't put a LED light there to begin with. Makes it so much easier to see at night.

Along with that, he took the AWD decal off the back liftgate and put it directly under the power point inside this same cubby hole, so that the chrome AWD decal lights up too with the newly added red LED.

And of course, the usual tradition of debadging the entire back end and with the purchase of a new 'TERRAIN' decal, he centered that beneath the license plate (same height as the factory position of the decals) but with enlarged spacing so that it reads all the way from the insides of the reverse lights (it's stretched out). Looks so HOT!! on Black.

I'm going to have to steal back my extra key fob, just to keep his fingers off my truck!! Ha-Ha ;D
Very Nice! I would like to completely DE BADGE my SLE but worry there might be alignment holes under neath them . Does anyone if there are holes under the emblems?( I don't mean to hi jack your post).

·
Registered
10,499 Posts
terrainasaurus said:
Very Nice! I would like to completely DE BADGE my SLE but worry there might be alignment holes under neath them . Does anyone if there are holes under the emblems?( I don't mean to hi jack your post).
I would say that there is a 99.9% chance that there WOULD NOT be any alignment holes. First, that would be a place for rust to occur, and also, most emblems are crooked, so if there are holes - then they don't use them ! (Just kidding on the 2nd part).

I have NEVER seen any alignment holes in back of emblems since they started using adhesive to attach them. Pre 1970s or so, they were attached by a push-nut that would grab a tab on the emblem.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If they are on with double back take, use floss to take them off with. Back and forth motion. That's what Harley dealers do to take tank emblems off.

·
Registered
482 Posts
GARYD said:
If they are on with double back take, use floss to take them off with. Back and forth motion. That's what Harley dealers do to take tank emblems off.
Sometimes floss will break. I use monofilament fishing line. Works great and very strong.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Don't get the cheap floss. It's a little gentler then fishing line, but either will work OK.
Good alternative suggestion.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
None of the chrome badges have mounts, they are all 3M tape or equivalent.

terrainasaurus said:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ahhh no, that's a great way to piss off bikers like my hubby, if its not done right, then you have scratches.

All you need is a small flat plastic hand tool that any Glass shop journey-man or glazer will have or a flat screwdriver with some cloth on the end.

Place the hand tool under one corner of the emblem and heat the emblem (letter) up to warm or very warm with a hairdryer, by pulling on the letter after a few moments you'll see that the adhesive will start to let go and the letter will pop right off. Some guys will use a heat gun but that's tricky cause they are too hot for fear of damaging the paint surface.

No scratches this way.

Just my 2 cents. But my guy has done alot of de-badging.

GARYD said:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Not if it's the waxed floss and you change often. You are also right about using a hair dryer and not a heat gun.
What Harley do you have? I just traded in my 03 Ultra for a 2010 Limited. The only way to fly. ;D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts