GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe this was discussed somewhere already but has anyone had an issue with an unpleasant odour coming from the vents. This is not an outside odour coming in but rather generated within the air system.

The odour is noticeable when the A/C is turned off and the air is not being cooled. It appears to be present whether it's set on outside air or recirculation. It's a sour smell that has just been getting noticeable and worse since the A/C has been used a lot this summer due to the extreme hot temperatures we've had all summer.

I think it may be mould or something forming from the water that comes off the A/C evap. coil in the system. Could this be occurring on the filters and if so I heard some rumour about activated charcoal filters available for the 2010 and up NOX. The water from the evap. coil is draining because I see the puddle underneath the car.

Any thoughts about this or similar experiences? I don't want to have to keep smelling this.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Is it a moldy smell?

Have you checked your passenger compartment filter? I would pull it out and see if it has the same smell.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
2010Nox said:
I believe this was discussed somewhere already but has anyone had an issue with an unpleasant odour coming from the vents. This is not an outside odour coming in but rather generated within the air system.

The odour is noticeable when the A/C is turned off and the air is not being cooled. It appears to be present whether it's set on outside air or recirculation. It's a sour smell that has just been getting noticeable and worse since the A/C has been used a lot this summer due to the extreme hot temperatures we've had all summer.

I think it may be mould or something forming from the water that comes off the A/C evap. coil in the system. Could this be occurring on the filters and if so I heard some rumour about activated charcoal filters available for the 2010 and up NOX. The water from the evap. coil is draining because I see the puddle underneath the car.

Any thoughts about this or similar experiences? I don't want to have to keep smelling this.
Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? I can also look into this for you with your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I had my pontiac Aztek (a nice crossover), there were several posts about smells in the HVAC. The suggestion was made that extensive use of the AC results in lots of condensation on the evaporator coils. Shutting down leaves any moisture that has not drained away to "percolate" in the cooling fins, where mold (and who knows what else) can grow. The recommendation was to run heat for the last minute or so before shutting down, to evaporate the residual moisture. This seemed to work for them (and me).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a plausible solution. I'll try it and see before I start complaining to the dealership about it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have also heard of this problem on some cars if you use the recirculate function all the time. If you do they say to switch back to regular air conditioning mode for the last few minutes to get rid of the excess mosture. Having to turn on the heat sounds like there is another problem as this should NOT be needed unless maybe you live in a very high humidity place. I live in Mich. which for the most part is fairly humid and never had this type of problem on any vehicle I have owned.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Would this be something that could be taken care of by a dealer turning on the option of the fan running after you turn the vehicle off?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sumr616 said:
Would this be something that could be taken care of by a dealer turning on the option of the fan running after you turn the vehicle off?
Could help and it wouldn't make it any worse.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had this problem with my 2009 Malibu. Dealer turned the afterblow on and sprayed mildew killer in the system and it did not resolve the issue. They finally had to disassemble things and used a special solution from GM (that was on back order for 2 weeks) to clean/spray individual parts. Problem gone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts