GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I own a 2018 Equinox Premiere for 13 months. I have a odor occasionally when the A/C is started. A sweet kind of nauseous odor that can last a few minutes.
I had the GM dealer look at it, but of course it didn't smell at the time. Only happens in the summertime of course. Almost an odor like antifreeze. The level in the overflow bottle has only dropped slightly from new.
Anyone have similar problems?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
The coolant system is a closed-loop, so it should not drop at all - not even a little. I would keep an eye on it, and make sure it is documented with your dealer, just in case there is a further issue down the road.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi,
I own a 2018 Equinox Premiere for 13 months. I have a odor occasionally when the A/C is started. A sweet kind of nauseous odor that can last a few minutes.
I had the GM dealer look at it, but of course it didn't smell at the time. Only happens in the summertime of course. Almost an odor like antifreeze. The level in the overflow bottle has only dropped slightly from new.
Anyone have similar problems?

Thanks
I bought my Premier in Dec of 2017 and have noticed the exact same problem. I don't smell the odor every time I use the air conditioner, just occasionally as you say. Mine though seems to have the faint smell of a dead mouse but I really don't think thats the case. I can't imagine what it can be and don't understand why it doens't smell all the time. Part time is bad enough but at least it doesn't last long, maybe 5 seconds or so. I haven't mentioned it to the dearlership.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was told by my neighbour ( AC tech) at local dodge dealer to always run the ac with fresh outside air at the start for a few minutes. Then, switch to cabin only air circulation. Something about getting rid of the trapped moisture in the air venting. He referred to it as the musty smell that can be created from moisture staying in the air ducts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was told by my neighbour ( AC tech) at local dodge dealer to always run the ac with fresh outside air at the start for a few minutes. Then, switch to cabin only air circulation. Something about getting rid of the trapped moisture in the air venting. He referred to it as the musty smell that can be created from moisture staying in the air ducts.
I've never run my AC on cabin air so for me the problem must lie elsewhere.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've been to told to run heat with ac on to help dry out and remove moisture, not sure if it works. Anytime I've had an odd smell ive rolled the windows down and cranked the ac for a minute or so on both outside and recirculating, seems to work well for me. Cold ac does seem to always have some sort of scent to it for some reason.

·
Registered
2018 GMC Terrain
37 Posts
I've experienced it in the diesel Terrain as well. Especially when the engine auto shuts off and back on at a stop. Asked the dealer about it during the last recall and of course they couldn't replicate it either. I had a coolant leak in the first 2 months, so I'm guessing some splashed somewhere and I'm getting residual smells from that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had a smell like this as well, a short time but a bad smell. It happens when I have the AC going then turn it down to low or off. It's exclusively when the air flow reduces a fair amount from where it was. I asked the dealer and they said it's the cleaner they uses to clean out the vents, it should dissipate over time. That was 1500 miles ago though. Planning on taking it in and actually making them sit in there and smell it happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a same problem. I go to the dealer 2 time. no result.Itake another new equinox same problem equinox 2018 1.5 . the motor stop and restart the ac vent smell 30 second chemical odor

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
We have an 2018 Terrain Denali and don't have have a smell. It's been in the upper 80s to mid 90s for almost 4 months now, garage is usually upper 80s when we leave the house, A/C is set to AUTO and each side temp is set anywhere from 71 - 75 so A/C is running on high until it reaches temp then will cycle down to a lower speed and START/STOP will activate when stopped.

If it's set to AUTO can you change to RECIRCULATE without it turning off AUTO?

·
Registered
958 Posts
scbearsfan--I'll have to double check mine in the morning, but I think the default in AUTO is for Recirculate. Whenever I switch to outside air, my AUTO light goes out--nothing else changes except that light as it changes to outside air. I'll check tomorrow and let you know if my memory is valid or my brain is playing tricks on me!:wink:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
c&wsinbad, you might be right. I know that if you change any of the other settings (floor, face, etc) AUTO goes off. The wife would always change those in the Enclave and Acadia until we had the after sale walk through and the guy said to keep it on AUTO and adjust the temp, something about the A/C not freezing up. Don't know if that's true, but it keeps her from turning it off, something I've been LOL trying to get her to do for 4 years.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I believe, if i understood the manual, in AUTO it will switch automatically between recirculate and open vents by itself. So i suspect if it is cooling and the temp outside is lower than inside it will open the vent till the temp difference reverses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 terrain denali. The A/C odor is definitely from some sort of chemical. The smell is only going off sometimes, and only when A/C is on. I have been to dealer twice as well. All they did was changing cabin filter and turned on some fan (said factory default was off). I knew I would be back. However, the problem was miraculously gone for 2 days, but 2 days only.

It's intermittent - can't easily turn the odor on on-demand.

Has anyone ever gotten it fixed, or at least figured out the cause?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2020 beautiful premier Equinox smelled like a new car for about 2 months - now horrible mildew. I removed everything from the car including carpets, including the car manual - everything! I cleaned and fabreezed everything and the smell seemed ok. Two days later, I opened the car door and the mildew smell knocked me over. Only 2800 miles on this car, I’m ready to go back to a Subaru. After reading other sites, this seems to be an ongoing issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You guys have seeping heater cores. In my experience installing these they either go perfect or have some small leaks that typically go undetected because the leak is in such a remote location. Jay Bee 2020 equinox needs to go to the dealer ugh... Not to mention when that stuff gets into your lungs or on your skin it takes years to leave once its absorbed. BAD BAD BAD bypass the heater core if you cannot fix your molding issues. Get the heater core fixed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts