GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Have a 2011 Equinox 1LT V6 and it seems that the air conditioning is not cooling very well. It's about 70 degrees today and I cranked the air with recirculate but didn't feel much cooler than the outside air. I could tell that the compressor was cycling, but it wasn't cooling as expected.

Had a similiar problem with my RX-8 and they just told me that's how the car is; hopefully this car is not the same. I tried searching on the forums for complaints/issues but wasn't able to find much of anything.

Anyone else not happy with their A/C performance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
"hopefully this car is not the same."

I don't think that's the case, I think most will agree that AC performance of these cars work very well, so there might be something wrong with yours. I'd have dealer take a look at it.

Just to make sure we aren't missing the most important thing - the AC button is on and you've turned the temperature dial all the way to coldest, correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
Is your system Climate Control or Manual?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
I would also have to recommend contacting your local dealership for more information. They should be able to assist you further. Please feel free to keep me up to date with any new information regarding the fix either on the thread or via private message. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
I would also have to recommend contacting your local dealership for more information. They should be able to assist you further. Please feel free to keep me up to date with any new information regarding the fix either on the thread or via private message. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Tricia, if everyone calls their dealer, what fun would the forum be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
LOL :hilarious:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,548 Posts
Right on, "dealer".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
So you have two vehicles from different makers that both blow tepid air out the a/c vents? You might want to get a thermometer and see if it really is cooling down in there...and if so you might be having hot flashes! :angryfire:

j/k :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
NoobNox said:
So you have two vehicles from different makers that both blow tepid air out the a/c vents?
You may be closer to the issue than you think ...

R-12 was replaced with R-134a as a refrigerant to help reduce ozone depletion in the early '90's...

Now R-134 is giving way to HFO-1234yf (Tetrafluoropropene).

Mandated in Europe for 2011 and coming to US Autos in 2013

The good news is unlike the switch from R-12 to R-134a...

The switch from R-134a to HFO-1234yf is a "drop in product" = completely compatible with previous R-134a systems...no system modifications required.

Many of us felt the R-134a systems didn’t cool our vehicle cabins efficiently as R-12. But this is because those vehicles were designed to use the (better cooling) R-12 systems, rather than a less-efficient R-134a system.

What efficiency HFO-1234yf provides to us consumers remains to be seen...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
ChevyMgr said:
Tricia, if everyone calls their dealer, what fun would the forum be?
I would have to agree that always taking the vehicle to the dealership may defeat the purpose of the forum in some way. However, because the vehicle is a 2011 and still under warranty, I would recommend starting with the dealership. I would also appreciate it if I could be kept up to date with the fix. Thank you again.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
Many of us felt the R-134a systems didn’t cool our vehicle cabins efficiently as R-12. But this is because those vehicles were designed to use the (better cooling) R-12 systems, rather than a less-efficient R-134a system.

What efficiency HFO-1234yf provides to us consumers remains to be seen...
I miss my old R-12 systems :cheers: My 1964 Impala 327 sedan would literally blow "snow" out of the vents on humid days ;D

I feel another BOHICA moment :eek:hno: with the new refrigerant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
The temp outside was 90 degrees, humid as hell. I had the temp at 74 and bumped it up to 78 and suddenly the car felt warm??? I tried all modes, auto and manual, recirc and outside air. I stopped the car for an errand and restarted it, and put the temp back down to 74 and in auto mode and it seems OK, not as cold as previous cars, just OK. Taking the car to the dealer is like playing Truth or Consequences. I tell the truth to them and suffer the consequences, of a BS story, "Thats the way Chevy's are" or "It's working just fine". Meanwhile I have sweat stains a foot wide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
If it is blowing 20 degrees cooler than the outside air you will get the "its normal" phrase. You might be able to get a dealership to put a few extra 134a in it to get some extra performance but dont expect much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
booradley said:
The temp outside was 90 degrees, humid as hell. I had the temp at 74 and bumped it up to 78 and suddenly the car felt warm??? I tried all modes, auto and manual, recirc and outside air. I stopped the car for an errand and restarted it, and put the temp back down to 74 and in auto mode and it seems OK, not as cold as previous cars, just OK. Taking the car to the dealer is like playing Truth or Consequences. I tell the truth to them and suffer the consequences, of a BS story, "Thats the way Chevy's are" or "It's working just fine". Meanwhile I have sweat stains a foot wide.
I have found that with the automatic climate control in both my 2011 Terrain and 2011 Regal - it works better if I set it to a temperature that "feels" good - as opposed to a specific temperature. For example - on a hot day - 74 degrees in my house would feel cold so you would think that 74 degrees in the car would be a good setting?? Not exactly - I end up setting it to 70 degrees to feel comfortable. Some of it has to do with sun load, humidity, temperature sensor position, etc.


A quick guideline to see if it is functioning (when it is below 100 degrees outside) - set the system to recirculate, temperature all the way down, fan on high, and let it run at least 5 minutes. Air temperature coming from the middle air outlet should be between 55 and 60 degrees (depends on outside temp and humidity)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
gmiemigrad said:
I have found that with the automatic climate control in both my 2011 Terrain and 2011 Regal - it works better if I set it to a temperature that "feels" good - as opposed to a specific temperature. For example - on a hot day - 74 degrees in my house would feel cold so you would think that 74 degrees in the car would be a good setting?? Not exactly - I end up setting it to 70 degrees to feel comfortable. Some of it has to do with sun load, humidity, temperature sensor position, etc.
I am finding the same thing on ours ( My better half notices it more then me,,,, I am about as sensitive as a rock). What seems to be a good number on the display may not feel comfortable at all. In general the air coming out of vents may feel cooler in most cases (according to her ;).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I have a 2006 Equinox (new to me), and when the humidity got high this summer, I discovered my A/C was freezing up. It would start off nice and cold and after a while would get warmer and warmer (also the air volume decreased). Chevrolet told my dealer that they were having trouble with a sensor under the evaporator, and a new "program" for this problem. So my dealer changed the sensor, and also "reprogrammed" the A/c. It appears to have fixed it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
ovel2clock said:
Hey guys. Have a 2011 Equinox 1LT V6 and it seems that the air conditioning is not cooling very well. It's about 70 degrees today and I cranked the air with recirculate but didn't feel much cooler than the outside air. I could tell that the compressor was cycling, but it wasn't cooling as expected.

Had a similiar problem with my RX-8 and they just told me that's how the car is; hopefully this car is not the same. I tried searching on the forums for complaints/issues but wasn't able to find much of anything.

Anyone else not happy with their A/C performance?
What ever happened here? Did you go to the dealer? Did they fix anything or did they claim it's working properly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,548 Posts
Sounds to be like the Penguin that was eating ice cream and he still had some on his lips - Looks like you may have blown a Seal !

;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
cmarcho said:
What ever happened here? Did you go to the dealer? Did they fix anything or did they claim it's working properly?
I am curious as well. Mine is starting to have similar issues. Temp suddenly feels like its about 80 degrees and can be fixed by re-adjusting the temp or having to turn AC off and back on. I have had this happen 5 times in the last two months.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top