GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I own a 2006 Equinox LT. For several months now the A/C keeps freezing up. I will have the A/C and fan on then about 15 min into the drive the air flow almost comes to a stop. I will turn the A/C off and leave the fan on, eventually the air flow will come back up to full force. It is almost like you can smell ice melting and sometime i have seen ice come from the vents. I have checked it for leaks and changed the in cabin filter. Please if anyone can help with this that would be great.

Thanks,
Nick
06NOXLT

·
Registered
441 Posts
ice from the vents?

a/c isnt really a user serviceable part.....sounds like something is shorting out making the fan/compressor shut off....other then checking all plugs and looking to see wiring is frayed, i would say best bet is to take it to a shop/dealer

·
Registered
306 Posts
Most of the time when a A/C freezes up, it's due to the blower fan being set at too low of a speed. When this occurs, the volumn of warmer air blowing over the coils to be cooled is not sufficient to pull the cold OUT of the coils and they ice up. The bottom line is--turn up your fan speed and control the temp inside your vehicle with the temp control knob, not the fan speed.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can have the fan blowing on full power or on low and it will still freeze up. I tried changing the temp using the temp control knob, but still froze up. It seems like the compressor never shuts off while the A/C is running. Is there a cycle switch or something along those lines that might be malfunctioning?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yes, the compressor has a "switch" on it to keep it from running continuously. I'd say you need to have someone check this out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts