GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a very lengthy trip in the Terrain. All I can say is wow. Drove from Montreal Quebec to Edmonton Alberta and spent a few days in the mountains (Banff Ab) as well. As we were in a hurry on the way down, drove 3 days for about 12 to 14 hours per day in the Terrain. Was an unbelievable pleasure to drive. Encountered all sorts of weather and road conditions along the way. My average fuel economy is about 8 liters / 100 km or about 29.5 mpg. Not bad with the hilly country / mountains and 110 km speed limits in some areas.

Unfortunately, while traveling to Banff from Edmonton two deer came out of the ditch and each of them chose one lane on the highway to stand in. I was not able to stop in time and ended up hitting one of them. Felt very bad for the deer as it appeared that both back legs were broken on impact. Was able to contact a park ranger to tend to the deer. The Terrain suffered a broken grill, a cracked headlight mount, a small dent around the headlight (about an inch and a half on the left passenger fender), and the bottom molding separated from the the plastic around the bumper. There is also a small stretch mark on the plastic around the bumper. All in all the truck faired pretty well in the incident. Appointment at a dealer in St. Laurent on July 20 to fix the damage.

I asked for a new fender (very small damage to it around the head light) but the advisor said that it was better to keep the original factory part. Any opinions on this? The vehicle is 2 months old on July 13. As I say, the dent is very small, hard to notice unless you look for it. In fact, if not for the smashed grill, you would be hard pressed to find any damage to it at all.

Over all, the vehicle performance was amazing in my opinion. Mind you I came from a 95 Neon, so this is quite the upgrade for me. It is a pleasure to drive and I look forward to many more trips to come in the future. I will try to upload a few pictures of the mountains and other areas in a while.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Seveniron.
Glad your trip was good save the deer incident.
Had you been in a Neon...

Don't know what to tell you about the dent, I guess it's a subjective call.
If it really bothers you, get it replaced, but make sure it's a genuine part, the colour matches and it's a real good body shop.

Please do share some pics!

·
Registered
170 Posts
If possible I'd keep the same part because there is a label with a VIN, if you ever sell the car and the buyer is knowledgable he will check that all parts are original to the terrain to confirm there has been no accidents. Besides the colour will not match the rest of the car (never does in my opinion).

Good lord you're Ok after your deer encounter.. too bad for the deer.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
oracle said:
If possible I'd keep the same part because there is a label with a VIN, if you ever sell the car and the buyer is knowledgable he will check that all parts are original to the terrain to confirm there has been no accidents. Besides the colour will not match the rest of the car (never does in my opinion).

Good lord you're Ok after your deer encounter.. too bad for the deer.
I'd go with the new part making sure it was OEM The carfax is going to tell them the vehicle was wrecked
My last vehicle was in a accident and the dealer brought out the carfax on trade and tried to give me less for the vehicle... accident was less than 2000.00dollars damage...

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
Wow, those are some pictures. Could you label the locations. I thought they were taken from an airplane.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I want to see some pics of the damage... :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The mountian pics are all from the Banff AB area (most from the top of the mountain once you get off the Gondola). The sunset is midway between Regina and Saskatoon. The city was taken from the Calgary Tower (there is a glass floor so it makes it look like you are in a plane).

As for pics of the damage, well sorry, but I dont want to remember it once its fixed so no pics.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Having pictures of the previous damage could help you sell the car later on in life when it reports that its been in a front end collision.

The pictures look amazing. Very cool trip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts