GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my spring cleaning on the inside of my 2015 Equinox.

Used 409 cleaner with a tooth Brush for the the Grooved lines.

Wiped down with warm Terry Cloth.

After I used a little Tire shine on a Terry Cloth to bring back the Shine.

Look Like New.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Ruger48 said:
Just did my spring cleaning on the inside of my 2015 Equinox.

Used 409 cleaner with a tooth Brush for the the Grooved lines.

Wiped down with warm Terry Cloth.

After I used a little Tire shine on a Terry Cloth to bring back the Shine.

Look Like New.

I have seen manufacturers' warnings against using tire shine and other similar products on rubber floor mats, as it makes them slipperier.

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
1999 White C5 Coupe said:
I have seen manufacturers' warnings against using tire shine and other similar products on rubber floor mats, as it makes them slipperier.
+1

·
Registered
909 Posts
I can't seem to get the brown dirt off my weathertechs and not sure I want to use any kind of tire dressing on them... Reminds me of an '86 Aerostar we had in the 80's growing up that had vinyl seats that my dad used to like to keep looking new with ArmourAll... every time he turned a corner, I either slid into my sister or she slid into me!

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
1999 White C5 Coupe said:
409 is just a normal "cleaner". It isn't a tire shine or similar.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I've been wiping down my cars with 409 for over 25 years now. Gave up on dragging out the **** hose, buckets of soap, etc. Just spray on the 409 and wipe it off with a double sheet of paper towel folded twice. I use every side then fold the next double sheet. Wipe the wheels with it, too, but still use Windex on the glass.

Water beads up afterwards too.

OK - let's hear all the talk about how this is damaging my clear coat ... ::)

·
Registered
909 Posts
...he didn't say 409 was tire shine, he said AFTER he used 409, he then used tire shine. I use 409 all the time inside and out too, it's the slippery tire shine on floor mats that causes concern. If that gets on the sole of your shoes, could cause issue when hitting brakes or gas if everything's all slippery now...

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
BandDirector said:
I can't seem to get the brown dirt off my weathertechs and not sure I want to use any kind of tire dressing on them...

To remove brown stains and oxidation from floor mats, I've used a Bleche-Wite tire cleaner diluted about 2:1 with water in a spray bottle, wet the floor mat with Bleche-Wite and sprinkle on Bartender's Helper powder cleaner. Then scrub with a short bristle scrub brush. A natural bristle scrub brush works best. This combination also works great on tires sidewalls.
Do not do in the sun if you can help it or let dry out or you will have to start all over again. Maybe spray a mist of water over the mat as you do this. Let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse and scrub lightly with the brush again as you rinse. If a stain is really tough, you can try using straight Bleche-Wite. It is like a concentrated 409 or Fantastic.
This usually gets out those brown stains which usually come from asphalt oil on shoes carried onto the floor mats.

Bleche-Wite is good for a lot of tough cleaning jobs. I've used it straight on concrete oil spills and stains and other jobs that need oil or grease removed but would not survive petroleum based solvents or things like acetone, MEK, etc.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My Weathertechs are pretty brown as well, regular washing did nothing except make them clean. Not sure if 409 or Bleche white is available in Canada, will experiment and see what I can find here that works. I am pulling them out for the summer anyway so I may just wait until my next trip to US and get what I know will work.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Just an option to add. If you have the time to let them air out afterwards, vinegar is a good way to get some stuff like salt out. Mine usually clean up pretty nicely with just a little soap and water. Back with cloth mats though, I used vinegar to get the salt deposits out. As a very mild acid, I imagine it would be effective on stains and deposits on plastic too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts