GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after working me arse off for the last 2 weeks at work I decided to take a long weekend and do some things around the house.

Things on the list.....

1-Build a shed platform -ned tobuy and haul all supplies
2-Build a shed -need to buy and bring home
3-Visit friends in NJ

I have to say Icame away very happy and impressed with the Terrain and its ablility tofit my needs. I knowmy Acadia could have handled everything no problem but the Terrain is a much smaller vehicle.

So Thursday morning I was off to Lowes to purchase all the wood and cinder blocks to build my 7x7platform. I did all the shopping and brought it all out to the Terrain and was a little scared of how it was going to fit. I loaded the 2x4x8's first. The Terrain swallowed all 11 of them with ease. Placed a rag on the center console and extended them to there. I was able to close the hatch that way. Next, I loaded 17 cinder blocks alongside the 2x4x8’s. No problem. The final piece werethe 2 pieces of ¾ plywood 48x96 sheets. Unscrewed the Xm antenna in the rear and strapped down the wood on top. I was amazed it all fit and drove happily home.

Fast forward to Friday, off to BJ’s to pick up the 7x7 Lifetime shed. It came in 2 HUGE boxes. They fit (just barely)between the wheel wells and stuck out the back ever so slightly. Was glad they fit but was upset to find not one place under the bumper to tie down a rope to. Everything had sharp edges that could cut the twine. I had no choice and tied and prayed. I made it all the way back into my complex before the rope snapped over the final bump. Made it home fine and unloaded. I was still a little pissed about the tiedown or lack of.

This brings us to Saturday. In 3 months I have put 1975 miles and have not been on an extended trip. Enter a trip from Long Island to Westfield, NJ. 170 miles round trip. Highways, bridges, turnpike, local roads,etc. With all the stop and go I still managed 22 mpg doing around 75 mph. Was really happy about that. Was also happy with the ride, handling and comfort of the truck. As we entered the town of Westfield, I was greeted by a Merlot Red Terrain. Did a high beam flash but got no response from the other driver. : (

All in all, I was surprised by the Terrains capabilities and I am very please with my decision.

Sorry so long.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Thanks NY_Joe and good luck with the project.
Just wondering how the rear suspension held up to the weight of the 17 cinder blocks (plus the wood, etc.)
Did you notice much sag in the rear end?
I haven't had that much weight in our Terrain yet, but will be loading it with quite a few 2 ft. square patio blocks shortly.
I wonder what the max weight the cargo area can be loaded with?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great feedback and information for someone like me who is still waiting for their car. Now I know that if I ever decide to do shores around the house, I would, in theory, be able to. :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Joe, was the 22mpg with the 4 cyl or 6?

Now I'm glad I got the tow package because you can use the tow bar for tying down the liftgate......if I ever have to.

Just for giggles...you could have tied one of those cinder blocks to the end of the rope to hold down the liftgate. ;D

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gearhead said:
Did you notice much sag in the rear end?
Of the lady who rung me up, yes. In the Terrain , no. :D

Just joking. That is the first thing I looked at. Rock solid even with 2 sheets of 3/4 inch thick plywood on top.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GARYD said:
Joe, was the 22mpg with the 4 cyl or 6?

Now I'm glad I got the tow package because you can use the tow bar for tying down the liftgate......if I ever have to.

Just for giggles...you could have tied one of those cinder blocks to the end of the rope to hold down the liftgate. ;D
That was with the 6 cyl. New York driving didn't help. I am hoping for a little better on our trip to PA.

I didn't have cinder blocks on that trip otherwise I would have. After I wrote this last night I realized I could have tied to the chrome latch on the bed of the truck. However, the box was laying on top of it and they weight was too much to lift up.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I was thinking the same thing with the latch, but figured there was something on top of it.

I sure hope I can get 22 mpg. I'm only getting 17 now after 3000 miles. Then again I do have a racers foot. LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just seeing this thread. I just traded my old Chevy Avalanche for a new GMC terrain. I just remembered I need to get some sheets of plywood and was trying to decide if I should just let HD hack it up into pieces. Looks like you threw it on top. How did you fasten it? Just a few tie straps? I've always seen "oops" with people on the side of the road who lost roof carried sheet goods. Looking for ways to do this without damaging my new Terrain or the roof rails! Not that it is "rocket surgery" or anything. This is the one thing I definitely will miss about my Avalanche although I do have to say I found the drivers seat more comfy too, and I'm 6' @ 165 lbs, so it isn't like I'm heavy or anything, just has to do with the proportions I guess. Maybe it needs some time to mold to me :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts