GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be going from a v6 ford explorer to a 4 cyl. 2012 equinox. Is this engine as sluggish as I hear it is?? I have read that a person couldn't pass another car on the highway...Is this true?? Will I be able to make it up mountain roads without engine problems? Having second thoughts! Should I back out before I pick it up on Monday? Is there anyone with positive feedback?

·
Registered
161 Posts
rob669 said:
I will be going from a v6 ford explorer to a 4 cyl. 2012 equinox. Is this engine as sluggish as I hear it is?? I have read that a person couldn't pass another car on the highway...Is this true?? Will I be able to make it up mountain roads without engine problems? Having second thoughts! Should I back out before I pick it up on Monday? Is there anyone with positive feedback?
See my other posts. Totally satisfied with mine. Have owned lots of HP V8s. Don't know about the hills. Best bet is to drive one and decide for your self, as you will get posts on here both ways, as it is kind of a less filling more taste decision

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree. If you are concerned - do a test drive.

I picked mine up earlier today and the wife and I just did a 60 mile round trip to do Christmas shopping. Unless you are towing something, this thing has plenty of zip, even in ECO mode. 28MPG average for 80% highway driving.

I'm very happy with my purchase. I hope you'll feel the same way on Monday.

Reactions: afireinside7710

·
Registered
10,396 Posts
rob669 said:
If you didn't drive one before you ordered it, maybe you should do that, and then make an educated decision based upon your own feelings, instead of asking for another's opinion.

It is your money, why would you ask for another person's opinion ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did test drive the car.it was on a flat surface around town where the dealer wanted me to drive it .wife is worried about the hills once they get slippery in the winter even tho its awd. we owned a 4 wheel drive which was great in the snow,but never an awd .our driveway is very steep and i just want to be able get up the **** thing! Thanks for your replies

·
Registered
161 Posts
rob669 said:
i did test drive the car.it was on a flat surface around town where the dealer wanted me to drive it .wife is worried about the hills once they get slippery in the winter even tho its awd. we owned a 4 wheel drive which was great in the snow,but never an awd .our driveway is very steep and i just want to be able get up the **** thing! Thanks for your replies
Take it out on some open road and nail it, not drive just around town Leave the salesman at the dealership. I usually get offered to take a test vehicle over night. Re: your driveway, it sounds like you are concerned with AWD vs 4WD, and not on road performance. I don't know about steep driveways, but would guess the AWD is going to be ok, as hopefully you are only talking a few yards or so. Over the past 5 or 6 years on these forums everyone seems to like their AWD once they understand how it is supposed to function. Earlier models were on demand AWD and I assume that current models are as well, or similar, but are not 4WD. Do not know if full time AWD or on demand AWD in current models. Maybe someone could elaborate
Combined with traction control, I would think that you would do as well but your results may vary.

Like I have posted, I am satisfied with the 4cyl and have quite a background in powerful V8s. No it is not as fast but seems adequate to me. Yes, you might have to plan ahead a little farther for passing on a two lane etc, but you should do that anyway.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Take it for a good long ride....I wish I had gotten the V6..not that I think its a sluggish engine..just issues with my I4 engine..and now seeing that the MPG is not that much different between the 2 engines..

I had 2 V6 engines then went to I4 on my last vehicle (06 HHR)..So for me, I think the power of the I-4 is fine....(coming from another similiar I-4 engine)

I have the AWD and love it! ITs the first AWD/4WD vehicle i have ever had. I had alot of fun in the winter last year, and look forward to this winter! I drive around in my vehicles for work, and really hated getting stuck in winter weather....I had no issues at all last year.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Save your money upfront and in the long haul. Get the 4cyl. Is gas going to get cheaper ...ever?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Not sure is the rattle problem is still around with the 2012's. If you want a 4 cyl. you may want to get another SUV. Ford has a new escape out soon and the Kia Sorrento is a nice ride too.

·
Registered
222 Posts
RNOX said:
Not sure is the rattle problem is still around with the 2012's. If you want a 4 cyl. you may want to get another SUV. Ford has a new escape out soon and the Kia Sorrento is a nice ride too.
Yep, if your dead set on a 4 cyl. look elsewhere.

·
Registered
368 Posts
nox-rocks said:
Yep, if your dead set on a 4 cyl. look elsewhere.
Take heed: Nox-Rocks speaks from experience.

If you combine this thread with the "Issues" and "Noisy Startup" threads relating to the 4-cylinder startup noise and related issues, there are 3,042 posts with 130,335 views regarding this situation on the 2011's... on this board alone! There are more on Edmunds and other boards. There are no reports of it on the 2012's yet, but the posts on the 2011's started after New Year's. GM could avoid the debate over whether the 2012's are fixed by acknowledging the cause of the issue in the 2011's, but to date they have not.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Let's not forget we're talking about a company here that built a minivan (Venture) for something like 7 years with a crash cage that folded up like a house of cards. In the IIHS crash test, the front of the van came right in on the crash test dummy, taking off its legs, and earning the Venture a failing grade and the lowest safety rating of all the minivans on the market at that time ('97 to 2004?). I almost bought one of these things in '02 until I saw those crash test results. When I called GM to ask for an explanation their response was that they didn't agree with the IIHS' findings and instead preferred to look at 'actual crash data' - which meant you were safe in their vans until you were involved in an offset head-on collision ... then you were probably learning how to walk with dual prosthetic legs.

So the point is - GM has turned a blind eye in the past, refusing to correct problems in the middle of a production run (because, in their opinion, there WASN'T a problem). Maybe "NEW" GM will be different, but that remains to be seen. Personally, I don't think I would buy the current generation Equinox knowing what I know now. Fortunately, I've been lucky so far with my V6 (12,000+ miles and no problems), but maybe I'm only about halfway to the gates of Hell.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I traded a 2009 6 cylinder Malibu with the largest engine that came in that car for my 4 cylinder AWD 2011 Equinox. I have had zero issues. It does not have the same zip my Boo did, but it has saved my butt more than once on these Pennsylvania roads with their short on ramps. While it won't win any drag races, it has enough power to do the job -- and I leave mine in ECO.

We have a driveway 1/2 mile long, straight up the side of a mountain. My Malibu was totally useless after the first sign of snow (I typically parked it and drove our Silverado during the winter). So far, no issue with the Nox.

When I test drove a car, I find the most winding, up/down roads I can. I test drove the 4 cylinder Malibu and hated it; it was constantly shifting all the time every time I'd go up a hill. I do not have that problem with the Nox.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just finished a 1400 mi trip including the West Virginia Turnpike. Plenty of power 90% of the time only time it seemed slow was on the steep uphill climbs trying to get around all the people who were even slower. About the same as my HHR and down shifting was minimal usually just 6 to 5 which is barely noticable. I got 27.5 mpg for the trip averaging ~70mph. I am a happy camper for a 4 cylinder it runs just fine. :thumb:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mochaman said:
I just finished a 1400 mi trip including the West Virginia Turnpike. Plenty of power 90% of the time only time it seemed slow was on the steep uphill climbs trying to get around all the people who were even slower. About the same as my HHR and down shifting was minimal usually just 6 to 5 which is barely noticable. I got 27.5 mpg for the trip averaging ~70mph. I am a happy camper for a 4 cylinder it runs just fine. :thumb:
Thanks for the trip report, are you using ECO mode at all?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I used ECO the whole time. I am still not sure what it does though ;D

·
Registered
194 Posts
ECO seems to have the best influence whn used with Cruise Control as it also control fuel to teh cylinders (actually shuts it off when cruising at a fixed speed - only adding enough to maintain speed) and it helps with shifting. Most noticible in hill climbing as it will down/up shift at the most efficient moment to help get the best mileage.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am a religious Cruise Control user it does make a difference my foot is no as calibrated as it is. I can drive with my legs crossed for the most part on the highway and speed up slow and resume easily with the button. If you are looking for the best milage it is the only way to do it and I have been for the last 4 or 5 years. 35 mph and up I use it. From what I was reading ECO shuts off the fuel when decelerating which is why some report a "dragging" feel sorta like a jake brake that semis use as well as locking the torque convertor at lower speeds and rpms making it more efficient with a direct instead of fluid drive. The computer also optimizes the down shifts on hills which is why I have no complaints about my mountain trip and too many"hunting" down shifts.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.