GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a new 2012 2 lt awd and was wondering how much of a difference there is in gas mileage between the 2 engines.Does the 4 cyl have decent power for travelling up hills?Thanks

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
900cfi said:
I am looking at buying a new 2012 2 lt awd and was wondering how much of a difference there is in gas mileage between the 2 engines.Does the 4 cyl have decent power for travelling up hills?Thanks
I would suggest looking at the EPA Gas Mileage figures to see the "relative" differences for the various configurations.

As far as "decent power for hills" - it is best for you to test drive the 4 and 6 over these hills and make your own decision. Not to be wise, but if I told you that my 4 cyl is adequate for the hills I travel, it may not be adequate for your hills - correct ?

Good luck, and make an educated decision that you can live with.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Unless they have made big improvements in MPG on the 2012 I-4....I would go with the V6, just because I really dont think its that big of a difference in MPG...

Im getting 20MPG on my AWD I-4.. and before I hear its my driving, again, I had a 2.4 I-4 in my last vehicle, HHR I was getting around 26 MPG or better, as rated.

as far as power of the I-4 I think its fine..

I bought the I-4 because The engine had good power, did what I needed...AND I thought it would be better in MPG than, the V6...now I have learned its not that big of a difference, and with the issues I have had with the I-4,, I really wished I had gone with the V6..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Both engines still have to pull, and push when the awd is required, the weight of the vehicle plus passengers. These are not Honda's or Toyota's. It has a lot to do with starting from stop and inclines...it's uses energy. It takes more energy when there is less less hp on tap to do that.
I drove both, and what is important to me is the overall smoothness of the engine and how it's transmitted back to the driver, that's why I chose the 6. It is by no means a powerful engine, it runs out of steam quickly. What is surprising is that my 07 avalanche for my style of driving around town, only got about 15 percent less mpg.
I do only have 1800 miles on it, and really haven't taken any long runs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am currently on my second tank of gas and currently only getting 23 mpg (mostly highway). I certainly hope this will improve over time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have had the I4 for over a year now with 11000 miles on it. You can see my numbers " fireman591" Get the V6 DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A TERRAIN WITH A I4. It is hit or miss with gas mileage and they are underpowered and loud. Plus they can't tow anything over 1500# which is a high number considering it strugles to move it's own weight. Hold off and get a Ford Escape 2013 model. Great power and great gas mileage. No more GM products for me or my family. GM does not stand behind their products!

http://www.fuelly.com/car/gmc/terrain/2011

·
Registered
57 Posts
Approximately 1200 miles so far since I purchased. City/hiway mix equals 19.8mpg. V6 AWD

·
Registered
77 Posts
2012 Terrain, 4cyl, AWD SLT1.

First tank (coming home from dealer on freeway showed 28.2mpg), most of the rest of the driving was city running errands, 23.4mpg (hand calc). The second tank is showing 23mpg with no freeway and only 20 miles of highway. We have not run ECO mode yet, but after we get some more miles on, we will try it and see how much difference. We expect 28 or better highway and 22 or better city. I would expect the V6 to be 3-4 less for each of those.

If we were going with the v6, it was only a short jump to a 1/2 ton pickup with 5.3 v8 (which we priced out and it was plenty attractive with the incentives currently offered along with dealers giving more on pickups).

·
Registered
15 Posts
We just drove from Michigan to the Gulf of Mexico--Terrain 4 cyl --800 miles on speedo at start. Reset "average milage" to zero-- 27 mpg on level Indiana freeway-- in the hills of Kentucky and Tenn milage went UP to 27.7 !!! I expect milage will improve some after break-in.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I also reset the average speed when I fill the tank. I way overestimate what my average speed is. Very happy with the 4 cyl. The best mileage has been 29 mpg mostly highway with the A/C on and 4 people in the car.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
900cfi said:
The 2012 GMC Terrain AWD with the 2.4L, 4 cylinder engin can get up to 20 MPG city, 29 MPG highway, and 23 MPG combined. The 2012 GMC Terrain AWD with the 3.0L, 6 cylinder engine can get up to 16 MPG city, 23 MPG highway, and 19 MPG combined. The 2012 GMC Terrain FWD with the 2.4L, 4 cylinder engine can get up to 22 MPG city, 32 MPG highway, and 26 MPG combined The 2012 GMC Terrain FWD with the 3.0L, 6 cylinder engine can get up to 17 MPG city, 24 MPG highway, and 20 MPG combined. I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me directly with further questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
The 2012 GMC Terrain AWD with the 2.4L, 4 cylinder engin can get up to 20 MPG city, 29 MPG highway, and 23 MPG combined. The 2012 GMC Terrain AWD with the 3.0L, 6 cylinder engine can get up to 16 MPG city, 23 MPG highway, and 19 MPG combined. The 2012 GMC Terrain FWD with the 2.4L, 4 cylinder engine can get up to 22 MPG city, 32 MPG highway, and 26 MPG combined The 2012 GMC Terrain FWD with the 3.0L, 6 cylinder engine can get up to 17 MPG city, 24 MPG highway, and 20 MPG combined. I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me directly with further questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Let me guess, Those MPG numbers are with no wind, level ground, 50 mph highway speeds, 0% ethanol and one person in the vehicle ;D LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been reading alot about how terrible the 4 cylinder engine is in gas mileage and power and wanted to add my 2 cents. We currently have about 10,000 miles on or 2011 4 cylinder FWD Terrain. I'd say our gas mileage is on par with the EPA. We normally drive 2 lane roads with speeds at 60 mph. Our strictly highway mileage during the summer months typically ranges between 28 and 34 mpg. We've gotten as high as 37 with a huge tailwind and as low as 26 with a strong headwind. If we would drive at 55 our mpg usually goes up 1 or 2 mpg better. Now city driving is not that consistent. By driving easy with a light foot we can average over 22 mpg. If we drive like it want to drive, it is usually in the 16 to 20 range. We find the power in city driving to be more than adequate and highway driving to be just adequate and nothing more. It would be nice to have more power, but then we would sacrafice our mileage. So far we have no complaints with our terrain on gas mileage. Now transmission shifting and other quirks is another matter. My sister also owns a 2011 Chevy Equinox FWD and has very similiar gas mileage results. One thing I've noticed about gas mileage is the 4 cylinder does not like going faster. Our interstate mileage results at 75 mph is only 24 to 28 depending on wind. We knew that when we test drove it and it wasn't a factor because we rarely drive over 60 mph where we live.

·
Registered
161 Posts
oops!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most tanks with our V6 we average 17mpg. We did a 1,000 mile drive back in november, at at 75mph we got 24.1mpg with our AWD V6.

·
Registered
27 Posts
OK I own both a V6 and I4 2011 and I did the test by the DIC, I work 46 miles round trip one week I took the 4 and the other I took the 6 the A/C was off on both 80% Hi way and 20% City and I drove like an Old person to get the best MPG, and my result is.

V6 Average 21 MPG
I 4 Average 28 MPG

Both Have about 9K Both are FWD.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You have the good I4 engine then...

I had the I4 for one year and 28k miles

so alot of MPG checking..

now I have the V6

both are AWD vehicles..

·
Registered
1 Posts
The wife and I just bought a new 2012 Nox AWD LTZ,V6.Took it on a roadtrip to Garderville NV for a few days to see family.Averaged 21+mpg and racked up about 1200 miles so far.MPG seems to be okay for what the vehicle is,no complaints.I will put on a performance exhaust as soon as I find the pieces/parts I need.Same same with a CAI.I averaged 24+mpg hwy with last 1500 Silverado (2011-5.3,Z-71 reg.cab) Looking forward to some nice healthy mods...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts