GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find the thread where there were questions about the 3M film. I had it applied to my Terrain very soon after I got it and finally got around to taking pictures of it this weekend, for those interested. See attached.

My husband and I made the decision to have the chrome on the front of the vehicle covered also, to give it that extra protection. I am very happy with it and hope it will save the car from too many stone chips, particularly in the winter months and early spring here in southern Ontario!

Loving my new wheels!

Cheers,
TG

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Looks good!

As I mentioned in some of the other threads on the topic, I opted to not get it, as I got it on my last vehicle, as seemed to be a pain to properly keep clean. I would recommend you find a good way to wash it and keep it clean, and if it works, please share. I was never able to keep mind terribly clean on my last car, so it always looked like there was a thin film of crap on the front of the car.

Good luck, the stuff works well!

·
Registered
115 Posts
TG--thanks kindly for posting the pictures. Looks absolutely terrific. I just ordered the NuSolis stuff for my Nox, so will try to do it myself soon. hopefully will look as good as yours!

Unfortunately, I did have one little rock hit the bumper and make a nick already :'( , but hopefully that will be it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
scottyyyc said:
Looks good!

As I mentioned in some of the other threads on the topic, I opted to not get it, as I got it on my last vehicle, as seemed to be a pain to properly keep clean. I would recommend you find a good way to wash it and keep it clean, and if it works, please share. I was never able to keep mind terribly clean on my last car, so it always looked like there was a thin film of crap on the front of the car.

Good luck, the stuff works well!
Hello All this is TG's Hubby again (The one who does most of the vehicle cleaning)...

Scottyyyc in hopes of answering your question directly and to help others with this also.

I typically wash both of our vehicles with a store bought specific car wash gel (no real favourites in this department most will do.) however I would strongly recommend AGAINST using dish soap, they should only be used before waxing, they are very hard on vehicles wax and paint job and are typically used for removing wax build up. Upon a regular washing of either of our vehciles which both the 3M Film applied to. I find it best to use Meguiar's Quick Detailer on the hood and 3M film right after it is dry. This has prevented any hazing or clouding build up on the film. I have to say I have had the film on my 2009 Chevrolet Malibu and have never had ANY issues with it looking hazy. Typically once I am done washing thevehicles you cannot even tell 3M film is on the car. Maybe something to try Scottyyyyc.

But this is what I have found works best, and so everyone has context TG took the pictures after we were done washing and I wiped it down with the Meguiars Quick Detailer.

Cheers,

TG's Hubby

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Could you possibly tint the film....I can't see it. LOL
I have the same stuff on top of my Harley saddlebags. Been there about 3 years now. Still looks (?) good. You are absolutely right about dish washing detergent...don't use. I use Blue Coral car wash for my bike and cars. When I'm in a hurry and I don't want to take forever drying the bike/car, I use Mr. Clean AuyoDry system. Works like a charm.....no waterspots.

·
Registered
37 Posts
To each their own, but I don't care for the very visible line running across the hood. I don't really care for it in the other places, but that's the way it came. I have it on my GMC dually fenders but the line runs right at the seam so it's not very visible.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I just saw the line going from left side to right side. I think over time it might be more noticable. Especially a black finish. On my Harley with gunmetal paint it's not that noticable until you get real close. I don't know why the film is applied so far up the hood. You would think only the front vertical sections would need it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Folks...

This is TG's husband again.

I have to say besides the line that is barely noticeable across the hood (the 3M Film goes up 18" up the hood) you can't see any of the seams or lines. The detailer did a great job of hiding it.

Regarding the line across the hood, it was done to avoid the bouncing rocks from hitting the hood. Also it is rarely noticeable when the vehicle is clean and honestly the vehicle has to be really dirty for it to be noticeable at all.

Cheers,

TG's Hubby.

·
Registered
8 Posts
SnowItch said:
I vote it's time for TGHubby to create his own account ;D
Well, Here I be, with my own account! I'm so proud!

I will provide me input where I can on TG's Terrain....But she really loves it and drives it 99% of the time.

I have been figuring out a few things with the USB function though and the radio.

Cheers,

TGH

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Great....2 for the price of one. ;D
Now we can get a male and a female perspective on the same topic. Will it be unbiased???? LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
pimpollo said:
Nice......!!...what color is that one?? Carbon Black.....or onyx?
Cyber Metallic Grey is the colour.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone...I will do my best to bring an unbiased ;) opinion.

Cheers,

TGH

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Thanks for the great pics, TG & TG'sHubby (and welcome TG'sHubby)!
Depending on where you live and if there's a lot of gravel roads, for example, a cover such the 3M film may well be worth the time, $$ and effort in the long run.
One question, if one was inclined to do so, how would you go about removing it?
Just curious is all.

BTW, you may want to add the pics to the Picture Forum as well, just a thought...
;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
ckmullin said:
That stuff is garbage, suggest to anyone not to get.
And the reasons for that opinion?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I use that stuff on my Harley and love it. I put it on top of the saddlebags because I keep hitting them with my foot when I get off the bike. Nobody even knows it's there until I tell them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ckmullin said:
Have had this sort of product before...and just crap. Get something flying @ you ~120kmh, trust me it that plastic/whatever coat won't stop it. When they try to sell you that extra stuff...they have a piece and try to poke it with a pencil or nail in front of you. Get that guy to jab that nail @ 120kmh into that material...think you get the point.

It will just cut out a piece of that stuff, let it flutter in the wind...so to fix it, you'll need a razor blade to cut it off flush. You can touch up paint but you cannot touch up that stuff. Get enough dings with that and it will feel like sandpaper... w/ paint chips to boot!

...at least on the stuff I've dealt with.
Well that's your opinion and you are entitled to it, I just strongly disagree with it. As mentioned in the rest of this thread and from the other comments. I have had my 2009 Malibu covered for about 3 years now and have never had a single problem with it, rock chips aren't noticeable, not rips and/or tears in the material and I drive on a major highway everyday.

Having said all of this to each their own and there are many different qualities of this material out there to be purchased.

Thanks,

TG's Hubby

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I really don't think that the 3M film is suppose to stop a nail at 120 mph....nothing will stop that. The film is suppose to protect from ordinary road debris like sand and dirt and bugs and an occasional heel mark.
I wouldn't be without it on my saddlebags. And if I could successfully get it on the front fairing, I'd put it on there too.

It's a great product for what it's intended for.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Maybe the underpaid underling at the dealership installed it incorrectly to begin with. Mine never curled up anywhere. Are you sure it was 3M and not some lesser known knockoff?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Called the shop that has tinted every one of my rides and they want $570 to do this #m stuff on the terrain... OMG!

·
Registered
10,107 Posts
$570 is a big ouch !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts