GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
yeah I figured that too- with the 4 cyls pump being attached to the Timing belt or something like that.
Thus her mentioning it was the V6 a 2nd time. Price didnt change.

I would think that a person manning the Service desk would be familiar with the 4 and 6's in a very popular model.

Reactions: bigb12359

·
Registered
7 Posts
... then a dealer charge for this job should be something like $300-$400?

That sounds too cheap to me. Betcha there's a "book minimum" of two hours labor - which would run the tab all the way up to $500+ (for the V6).

=====

The ProDemand Mitchell guide for this vehicle has the Water Pump time to remove and replace set at 3.5 hours. This would be what the dealer uses.
Using their "average" labor rate puts this at almost $600. Maybe they quoted the OEM cost of the pump at $600?? ($600+$600=$1200)

Still, I second that this is a great how-to guide for those that are not afraid to turn a wrench!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Water Pump - Remove and Replace
V6; LT; LTZ B 3.50

SKILL LEVEL B which means basic knowledge needed

3.5 hours labor

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I don't understand these "book minimum" labor charges.

If rbarrios, a non-professional, "home"/"shadetree"/"layman" mechanic (albeit, a very good one) says he could do this job in 1.5 to 2.0 hours (which I believe), then how is it that a professional mechanic, with all his tools right there at the ready (including hydraulic lifts, and power-everything), is given 3.5 hours to do the same job? The estimate is vehicle-specific, right?

Sorry, but that just looks like greedy dealership markup to me (yet again).

RockAuto has the AC Delco Water Pump for $70 (retail). What does the dealer get it for ... less than that, I'm sure. Let's call it $50. So OK ... you want to mark it up to $150 (which is criminal), but OK. Then two hours of labor at $150/hr (worst case). It's a $450-$500 job at the dealership, tops!

But in keeping with the typical dealership "reputation" ... just give the worst-case quote of $1200 (for the I-4) ... and what (?) ... see if you can get away with it? Or would the Service Manager put the stopper on that, ultimately bill the customer "only" $500, and tell him, "I saved you $700 today"?

You can't tell me the dealership doesn't know how to quote a lousy water pump job.

Reactions: c&wsinbad

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Good old American greed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well written w/great pics of a "How To". Thanks.

This should be made a stickie for easy to find for others.. Do you do stickies here ?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Alldata for my '16 says

Labor Information Skill Level Mfg. Warranty Standard
Water Pump B 3.2 4.5

21 - 27 of 27 Posts