GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Do you like your V6?

• I love it - would buy it again

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's okay - wish it had more power

• Wish I would have gotten the 4 cyl

3.0 V6 Owners - Do you like your engine?

10K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  inphoenix 
#1 ·
Just interested in seeing what V6 owners think about their engines. Not really concerned with fuel economy, just the driving experience.

#2 ·
If you totally take fuel economy out of the equasion you won't get any "wish I had gotten the 4cyl" votes....that's really the only reason that any of us chose to go with the 4 banger. (other than cost)

#4 ·
Wife and I test drove both 4 & 6 NOX and Terrain, separately, on numerous occasions.
MPG was not really a concern for us.
Big difference between the 4 & 6 when merging/passing on the highway was noticed by both of us.

We were used to more power so to go down to the I4 would have been a big change for us, one we didn't feel comfortable making.
We have 4 kids and 2 dogs plus lots of cargo, all the time.

Wife uses the Terrain 95 % of the time.
I have a sedan for work.

We use the Terrain for trips to the Grandparents and relatives, doctors trips, Family outings, etc.
If the Terrain was a grocery getter only, we may have considered the 4 cylinder.

#5 ·
I'm happy with the 6 overall,pulling a small hardtop or full of people,and luggage, for the size of the beast it has good passing umph,and fairly quiet.............

my beef is the trans,I'm just not a fan of it.............(and yes I have had the latest flash done to it)

#6 ·
I am very pleasantly surprised by the difference in my V6 and the tranny after several thousand miles. My Terrain just turned 7,000 miles and it is a totally different vehicle than it was when it was "new". I think the biggest improvement is the engine torque is so much better now that it has the torque to pull a load or an incline without continually downshifting. I must say that when it was new, I viewed driving it as totally unique experience as I'd never driven a vehicle that shifted so often. Now it drives much more like a "normal" automatic transmission vehicle and really doesn't seem unique at all. Now, I'll be the first to admit, (1)I'm probably getting more used to it,(2) the tranny shifting is so much smoother that it isn't very noticeable, and (3) the increased engine torque requires a lot less transmission shifting to do it's job. Bottom line is--give it some time, I think you'll also be pleasantly surprised.

#7 ·
Had no interest in the 4 cyl. Tested it just to say I did test it and I hated it. I will never own or rent a 4 cyl, but that's just the way I am. I want it to GO when I hit the gas and I don't have that heavy of a foot. In 30 years of driving I have NEVER gotten a ticket. They will shift smoother (break in or human learning the vehicle who knows) I'm currently at 19k miles and don't regret it for a second. Now if I could just get one of the Caddy super chargers...

#8 ·
inphoenix said:
I will never own or rent a 4 cyl, but that's just the way I am. I want it to GO when I hit the gas
Try test driving a Subaru WRX and you'll see a 4 cyl with SOME get up and go ! People used to say the same thing about 8 cyl. vs 6 cyl. engines until Buick introduced the Regal GNX. So, "never say never". 4 cyl. engines have come a long way, and will go a lot further in the future with the new Gov't. Gas Mileage goals.

#9 ·
In internal combustion engines there is nothing compared to capacity to generate torque, a 5 lt will always leave a 1.8 lt eating dust then when things like turbo or other ways of forced induction start working the gap is reduced and in the new engines is freakishly close but by then the big engine is gone... (note that I don't object any smart ways to produce torque, I wish all cars had a turbo mandatory)

By the way my DD is a Subaru and I love it... ;D

RIT333 said:
Try test driving a Subaru WRX and you'll see a 4 cyl with SOME get up and go ! People used to say the same thing about 8 cyl. vs 6 cyl. engines until Buick introduced the Regal GNX. So, "never say never". 4 cyl. engines have come a long way, and will go a lot further in the future with the new Gov't. Gas Mileage goals.

#10 ·
RIT333 said:
With all due respect, RIT333, let's compare apples to apples.
I mean, wasn't the GNX a turbo that was capable, with minor tweaks (chip reprogram), of approx. 12 sec. 1/4 mile?
;)
That beast was so squirrely outta the hole with the stock tires, my buddy had to keep sandbags in the trunk for traction!

#11 ·
RIT333 said:
I had a buddy who had one of those or something similar. It was a Subaru and he put a TON of aftermarket into it, I'd guess $10k easy. It was quick as hell, but the whining got a little old (or was that from the fart can on the back) Anyhow while it was really quick, it was a little too "ricer" for me. I know 4cyl's have been or are getting better, but part of my issue is that I won't drive something that small or light. I don't need an Excursion but my cut off is at least a mid size or larger. I'm on the road too much to feel safe in anything smaller. My dad has an Accord with a 4, it's fair I liked his Accord with the 6 much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.