GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2018 Terrain AWD and try as I might I cannot find anything detailing the specifics of the AWD system in this particular vehicle beyond the vague promotional details GM puts out. I was curious if anyone has any technical documents, personal experience, or links to any articles/papers that may explain what the system in this vehicle is doing. I have heard a variety of different things about it (front wheel bias, has a transfer case so it's actually technically a four wheel drive, is limited to only sending 50% power to the rear axle, etc) and am just curious as to what's really going on.

I am by no means a car expert, perhaps a car enthusiast, but right now more than anything else I'm confused. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
When you switch to AWD/4 wheel its still fwd drive biased. I can't find any where its says percentage of power per axle. I can tell you from experience in AWD in snow all 4 wheels can spin. So its probably gives the power to wheels with most traction using the traction control and ABS. If you still have the Hankook factory tires they suck in the snow if you are in fwd only. Better in AWD but still not good tires. I will be replacing mine this year before winter even though they might only have 40k on them by then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you switch to AWD/4 wheel its still fwd drive biased. I can't find any where its says percentage of power per axle. I can tell you from experience in AWD in snow all 4 wheels can spin. So its probably gives the power to wheels with most traction using the traction control and ABS. If you still have the Hankook factory tires they suck in the snow if you are in fwd only. Better in AWD but still not good tires. I will be replacing mine this year before winter even though they might only have 40k on them by then.
Thanks! Yeah when we purchased the vehicle it came with some Bridgestone Ecopia All season tires that seemed to really grip in the bad weather in either mode. I assume the previous owner had similar issues. I hope your performance goes up when you replace them!

Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I recently purchased a 2018 Terrain AWD and try as I might I cannot find anything detailing the specifics of the AWD system in this particular vehicle beyond the vague promotional details GM puts out.
Perhaps these links will get you pointed in the correct direction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps these links will get you pointed in the correct direction.

Thank you! These are fantastic resources and answer nearly all of the questions I have!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts