GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to put some different wheels on are Terrain. I found a set of 22" wheels that we like wondering what size tire to run. Anyone running aftermarket wheels have any problems with tire pressure sensors or anything else that may affect sensors?

·
Registered
483 Posts
bsouth said:
Looking to put some different wheels on are Terrain. I found a set of 22" wheels that we like wondering what size tire to run. Anyone running aftermarket wheels have any problems with tire pressure sensors or anything else that may affect sensors?
You will probably have to have to reprogram the computer to keep the speedometer accurate. With 22" you would need a VERY low profile tire to make it fit right and look right in the wheel well.

Also, you may want to check the prices of 22" tires. A bit pricey.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm picking up a similar size tire for my Terrain, I am going to the shop this weekend and will post the tire options soon. Also, you would have to purchase new sensors for the aftermarket wheels, but really we have survived so long without knowing instant tire pressure, I think you can manage without for the summer.

·
Registered
830 Posts
22"... Way too big for the Terrain/Nox... It will look like a horse carriage... I think 20" is the bigger/better for that car... :banghead:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Just paint the inside of the rim black and mount them...cause that's how low a profile you'e gonna need with 22s... :hilarious:

·
Registered
17 Posts
whats the width of the rims? 22x?... My friend just got tires for his 22s and the size he got was 305/45/22....I ( think )his rim is a 22x10. The sidewalls are about 3 inches tall. GL bud.

·
Registered
978 Posts
808SLE said:
whats the width of the rims? 22x?... My friend just got tires for his 22s and the size he got was 305/45/22....I ( think )his rim is a 22x10. The sidewalls are about 3 inches tall. GL bud.
Although folks will find minor "published spec" differences amongst Tire Companies:

- 305/45/22 is actually about 5.4 (137.16mm) Sidewall height w/32.80 (833.12mm) Diameter

- 265/35/22 is actually about 3.65 (92.71mm) Sidewall height w/29.30 (744.22mm) Diameter

·
Registered
468 Posts
The 305/45 will be way too big. Speedo will be way off and its also more then the magic 3% increase and cause brake failure.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
cottonseed said:
The 305/45 will be way too big. Speedo will be way off and its also more then the magic 3% increase and cause brake failure.
I'm curious (not doubting you, just want to get educated !). How will the larger tires cause earlier brake failure. I would think the pads/rotors are still stopping the same amount of body-weight, and tire-patch (contract area) ought to be simillar (assuming same tire PSI). Maybe because the larger tire will cause the tires moment of inertia to be farther away from the brake/rotor contact point ??? To me this would make sense if you were only trying to stop the tire, but the car's weight is the main thing you are stopping.

Please educate me ! :help:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
RIT333 said:
I'm curious (not doubting you, just want to get educated !). How will the larger tires cause earlier brake failure. I would think the pads/rotors are still stopping the same amount of body-weight, and tire-patch (contract area) ought to be simillar (assuming same tire PSI). Maybe because the larger tire will cause the tires moment of inertia to be farther away from the brake/rotor contact point ??? To me this would make sense if you were only trying to stop the tire, but the car's weight is the main thing you are stopping.

Please educate me ! :help:
I will Rich, sending you a PM shortly.

Guys you need to remember that unless you can find a computer whizz, GM's Tech computer (GDS) is not able to reprogram your truck for any other wheel rim sizes except for switching from the OEM 17"s to 18"s[/color]

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
OnxBear said:

Guys you need to remember that unless you can find a computer whizz, GM's Tech computer (GDS) is not able to reprogram your truck for any other wheel rim sizes except for switching from the OEM 17"s to 18"s[/color]

Point #1 - She did, and I now agree ! THX, OnxBear

Point #2 - This is where GTPprix can probably fill the bill !

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
RIT333 said:
Point #2 - This is where GTPprix can probably fill the bill !
Ya, if he'd only grant us our wishes!.. lol[/color]

·
Registered
468 Posts
OnxBear said:

not true, as long as you keep the same overall diameter of the tire+rim then you will be ok. The tire size I listed is pretty close to the same diameter as the stock rim+tire combo. I believe off the top of my head there is only ~2% difference so when you are traveling at 100mph you are really moving 102mph.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
cottonseed said:
not true, as long as you keep the same overall diameter of the tire+rim then you will be ok. The tire size I listed is pretty close to the same diameter as the stock rim+tire combo. I believe off the top of my head there is only ~2% difference so when you are traveling at 100mph you are really moving 102mph.
First, I'm afraid that part is true.
Second, I wasn't replying to your post (not that I would) nor was I implying a tire/rim combo diameter, I was simply informing Black Granite on the computer reprogram availability...
Black Granite LTZ said:
You will probably have to have to reprogram the computer to keep the speedometer accurate.

·
Registered
468 Posts
OnxBear said:
First, I'm afraid that part is true.
Second, I wasn't replying to your post (not that I would) nor was I implying a tire/rim combo diameter, I was simply informing Black Granite on the computer reprogram availability...
What you said is not true. You stated that a person can only swap between 17's and 18's when that technically isnt even true unless you get the right size tires. A person can upgrade to any rim size they want but the tires will get thinner and thinner the larger the rim, thats why with big rims the tires are thinner. Upgrading to a larger rim and tire above that 3% where you would need the comp to be reprogrammed can cause brake failure like I stated before. I know this will blow your mind but you can upgrade larger then 18's without having to reprogram the computer so no need to find some "wiz" to do it. So now like the HID threads this one is going to be full of misinformation from people who think they know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
OK, you "guys" are both great contributors to the forum, so let's not have any arguements or what was probably just a little mis-interpretation, fair enough ?

I've learned tons from both of you !

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
cottonseed said:
What you said is not true. You stated that a person can only swap between 17's and 18's when that technically isnt even true unless you get the right size tires.

An English class would do wonders for you - I never stated anything of the sort - read and heed.
[/color]
So now like the HID threads this one is going to be full of misinformation from people who think they know what they are talking about.
Only if you keep adding to this thread - oh so naive.

[/color]
My apologies to you Rit and everyone else on the Forum that has had to read this senseless chatter on this post - school must be out.

·
Registered
468 Posts
OnxBear said:
My apologies to you Rit and everyone else on the Forum that has had to read this senseless chatter on this post - school must be out.
When do you go back?

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
OK, score is 1 to 1. Can we quit, and call it a tie ?

:angryfire:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts