1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
14 Posts
So no more "big" engine option. Glad we got one of the last of the 2020 2.0T models last year.
I can't imagine towing 3500 pounds (its rated capacity) up a hill with the 1.5T.
Here's another article from C&D:

·
Registered
128 Posts
So no more "big" engine option. Glad we got one of the last of the 2020 2.0T models last year.
I can't imagine towing 3500 pounds (its rated capacity) up a hill with the 1.5T.
I'll be very surprised if that was not just a copy-and-paste error unless Chevy was using the 1,500 versus 3,500 towing difference solely as a sales incentive for the more expensive 2.0L and 9-speed. The 2021, regardless of configuration, is only 1,500 lbs.

I drove the 2020 FWD 1.5L with 6-speed at the dealer. The route was uphill on a highway on-ramp, a few miles at highway speed, and then off and back on main roads with two adults. I had to floor it to reach 60 MPH, barely, to merge at the top of the ramp. Then I drove a 2020 AWD 2.0L on the same route. There's a world of difference. I definitely agree with this comment from that article, although maybe something changed for 2022:

Underpowered and frequently out of breath, the Equinox's turbo four-cylinder engine won't win any fans with its sluggish performance. The turbocharged 1.5-liter four-cylinder makes 170 horsepower, and when paired with the optional (and heavier) all-wheel-drive system (front-wheel drive is standard), it takes a heavy foot to hustle the Equinox up to highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Everything old is new again. That review quote mirrors my personal review of a '16 2.4 vs 3.6 AWD 'nox especially with the a/c on.
3.6 version is still the champ over the 2.0 . And last versions bigger hatch makes it more usable IMO.

Reactions: jimtech

·
Registered
296 Posts
You have to remember these are journalist that drive 700 hp super cars and praise handling and acceleration above all else. The 1.5 is more than adequate and rarely ever needs full throttle to reach hwy speeds. It's in the same class as pretty much every other base model CUV and I would say even far better than the Rav4 or even the CX5 base engine. If you came from a 2.4 previous gen, or even a 3.0 V6 you will be more than happy with the 1.5T. The only thing I found mildly annoying about it was the turbo lag. If you are a heavy footed driver that likes to send your engines towards the redline regularly you will not like the 1.5. It runs out of breath pretty early in exchange for a very healthy tq curve.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Everything old is new again. That review quote mirrors my personal review of a '16 2.4 vs 3.6 AWD 'nox especially with the a/c on.
3.6 version is still the champ over the 2.0 . And last versions bigger hatch makes it more usable IMO.
I liked the 3.6L V6 in the 2015 Impala we traded in on the Equinox. It, along with the 6-speed auto matched the car well.

The 2.0T/9-speed gets slightly better mileage than the Impala did, I averaged about 24.5 MPG with the Impala and my wife about the same, she averages about 26 MPG with the Equinox.

·
Registered
2019 Holden Equinox LT
27 Posts
They look amazing! I'm so jealous we're not going to get them in Australia :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
It sounds like the 1.5 (properly equipped) can tow 3,500 lbs. If I'm not mistaken the 3,500 lb tow rating had been limited to the 2.0 liter motor. What changed?

·
Registered
128 Posts
It sounds like the 1.5 (properly equipped) can tow 3,500 lbs. If I'm not mistaken the 3,500 lb tow rating had been limited to the 2.0 liter motor. What changed?
That Car and Driver article was incorrect. Here are the recently-released official specs: Chevrolet Equinox - 2022

Trailering Capacity
(lb. / kg)2:
1500 / 680

If only 8% of people opted for the 2.0L engine and the possibility of towing 3,500 pounds, I'd guess the actual market share of 2.0L purchasers who also opted for the hitch was noticeably smaller than that 8%.

·
Registered
2018 Equinox 2LT 2.0T FWD V92
57 Posts
If only 8% of people opted for the 2.0L engine and the possibility of towing 3,500 pounds, I'd guess the actual market share of 2.0L purchasers who also opted for the hitch was noticeably smaller than that 8%.
That may or may not be true, but thus far at least, every 2.0T badged Equinox that I've seen has had a trailer hitch (or at least a hitch cover), so it apparently was very popular. I purchased mine used as a CPO, so I don't know what the added cost was when ordered with a new vehicle.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm so disappointed about the demise of the 2.0 engine option; earlier it was not going to be available on the refreshed 2022 model, then it was going to return but the less powerful version, now we learn that it's not available at all. We went from having three engine options in the gen 3 Equinox/Terrain to one marginally adequate powerplant. :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm very happy with the 2.0. The auto industry has lost their minds - Ford not producing cars (except the Mustang) Cadillac phasing out gas engines....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a hard time believing GM will dump the 2.0 on the Equinox. The engineering is done. The 2.0/9 speed is so much nicer setup. Glad I'm not in a position of needing a new one for several years.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
More and more and after seeing this and other vehicles going to smaller and smaller (and even 3 cylinder) turbo engines . . . . is the reason we bought a 2019 Acadia with the LGX 3.6L V6.
It saddens me to see that our choices in vehicle drive trains will be either "adequate" small turbo ICE or more and more plug-in electric.

I see Ford in it's new Maverick compact truck at least is offering a hybrid gas/electric. I think GM is shooting itself in the foot in going all electric at this point of time down the road.
To me, the Equinox would be an excellent candidate for a hybrid application since with a properly designed electric motors hybrid system could supply needed torque and a small internal combustion engine there to recharge batteries along with some power assist using a properly designed and managed system. Not the dismal e-Assist system GM had some years back.

I guess being older and retired now helps in that we were only putting about 6K miles a year on our two vehicles. Then we got wife's daily little Sonic driver and fun errand car plus the COVID affect.

The past 1.5 years have reduced out annual driving mileage by at least 60%. Needless to say, by my calculations we should be good for at least 10 to 12 years with our current vehicles. Maybe more. Hoping that is the case.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My current fleet is all naturally asperated and will always be until I have no choice.
Most of the fleet see's mostly highway miles so I'm going for the big miles. Traverse with a 3.6 was one of it's major strong points along with adequate towing capacity in the buying decision.
My '16 3.6 'nox has been great also, just coming up on 80k miles now with only normal maint. and wear items.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The 2.0T may return but not the current one. Who knows. However the current 2.0t is great engine and should last easily to 200k. The 2.0T in the Buick Envision and Cadillac XT4 is less powerful but better gas mileage. I'm wonder if it has something to do with cooling why its not in the 2022 Twins. I think the new one has the turbo near the firewall and not the front of the car like the current one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts