GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I have purchased 2 new vehicles in the last 30 years...with this BS going on very likely my new car buying days are OVA
Maybe 2 to 3 years max until they get their act together.
I don't gamble, do drugs, or chase wild women.
I have to spend my money on something:cool:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Snow belt, AWD is the better choice. As previously said better resale also. Just look around at other SUV's on the road and you'll mostly see AWD on the back of them in snow country.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,996 Posts
Snow belt, AWD is the better choice. As previously said better resale also. Just look around at other SUV's on the road and you'll mostly see AWD on the back of them in snow country.
When I was still living in New England (pre-1995), the only AWD I ever noticed was on Subarus. Now I go home and it seems like it’s on every vehicle!

Still - I did just fine getting around with only FWD, and if I ever move back, I’ll probably continue with FWD.

What’s the real advantage anyway - assuming we’re driving on plowed roads, and not trying to plow through 8-10” of snow? Maybe you can go a little faster with AWD? Or - if you do go off the road, probably stuck with FWD, but maybe not with AWD?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
When I was still living in New England (pre-1995), the only AWD I ever noticed was on Subarus. Now I go home and it seems like it’s on every vehicle!

Still - I did just fine getting around with only FWD, and if I ever move back, I’ll probably continue with FWD.

What’s the real advantage anyway - assuming we’re driving on plowed roads, and not trying to plow through 8-10” of snow? Maybe you can go a little faster with AWD? Or - if you do go off the road, probably stuck with FWD, but maybe not with AWD?
In my hilly area the FWD start spinning the right front, steering goes away and they start veering to the right ditch losing that important momentum so you let off the gas, slow down or stop and your stuck. Now that car is blocking the hill and everyone is stopped and in the same boat with FWD. And this happens on packed snow covered plowed roads or even with 3-4 of inches of fresh snow on the previously bare road.
I always ran studded snows on my FWD cars to avoid that problem and at least studs made them drivable.
I drove RWD vans for decades at work, could take them uphill where no FWD could go. Sideways up the hill with rears spinning but had steering control and maintaining momentum up we go. Towed my snowmobiles to go have fun into storms with a RWD van and a '67 Chevelle for many years until I could afford 4x4 tow rigs. I would never attempt that with FWD.
75% of drivers out there are clueless and skill less in the snow with useless all season tires, and that's being conservative. Add FWD and it ups the percentage.
Off the road in deeper snow your stuck with AWD, unless it has a locking rear diff as it's only really 2wd with the RR and LF tires spinning. Same applies to a 4x4 truck without a posi rear.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,996 Posts
In my hilly area the FWD start spinning the right front, steering goes away and they start veering to the right ditch losing that important momentum so you let off the gas, slow down or stop and your stuck. Now that car is blocking the hill and everyone is stopped and in the same boat with FWD. And this happens on packed snow covered plowed roads or even with 3-4 of inches of fresh snow on the previously bare road.
I always ran studded snows on my FWD cars to avoid that problem and at least studs made them drivable.
I drove RWD vans for decades at work, could take them uphill where no FWD could go. Sideways up the hill with rears spinning but had steering control and maintaining momentum up we go. Towed my snowmobiles to go have fun into storms with a RWD van and a '67 Chevelle for many years until I could afford 4x4 tow rigs. I would never attempt that with FWD.
75% of drivers out there are clueless and skill less in the snow with useless all season tires, and that's being conservative. Add FWD and it ups the percentage.
Off the road in deeper snow your stuck with AWD, unless it has a locking rear diff as it's only really 2wd with the RR and LF tires spinning. Same applies to a 4x4 truck without a posi rear.
Oh yeah ... the hilly terrain ... forgot about that. Brings back memories now. When I was a kid my father had a '73-'75 (?) Plymouth Fury III for a little while. HUGE trunk on it. Official car of Mob Hitmen: stores up to 6 bodies! (LOL!). He only worked about 5 minutes from home, but it was all uphill on the return trip. In the winters, the last hill would stop him, and he'd get so mad! Had to leave the car at the foot of the street and walk the rest of the way. When the roof was re-done, I remember him throwing a couple packs of spare shingles back there - and that seemed to help, but he ultimately got "fed up" and traded that "boat" in for a '76 Chevy Malibu Classic, a fairly heavy vehicle with another V8, smaller trunk, and better in the snow (especially with snow tires, which he always used back then).

Here's the best picture I could find of a vintage Fury-3 similar to my Dad's (4-door, with the vinyl roof ... and MA plates, ironically). Wish I still had some of my Dad's old cars. They weren't anything special, but he sure was ...:cry:

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The cop car versions with a 440 were pretty sporty back then. And they were quick boats also.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Awe man my 1st vehicle was 1965 Impala 283 with 2 speed slushglide auto 4 door boat. Where have the years gone?

Reactions: repairman54

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Awe man my 1st vehicle was 1965 Impala 283 with 2 speed slushglide auto 4 door boat. Where have the years gone?
Too quickly IMO. My first was a '64 bug then to a '64 Jetstar 88 then to a '67 Caprice.

Reactions: Crankme69

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If surround vision is what I call the 360 Birdseye view, it's my favorite option.
I can actually parallel park with that option :)
It's great if you're OCD and want to be perfectly placed in a parking spot :)

I have the big sunroof and would prefer not to have that because I worry about leaks but I'm willing to pay big bucks for the Birdseye view :)
Yes, the surround vision is the birdeye view. We don't have a problem parallel parking, so still not worth the money to me....lol. But like I said in an earlier post, I don't want the stock unit if it looks cheap and doesn't have the functionality. We are supposed to go to the dealer soon and look at some used ones to get an idea of features. Maybe tomorrow since they are open late on Thursdays.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Base display:
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Speedometer Automotive design

Optional display:
Car Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Automotive design

The optional display is definitely a step-up in appearance. The base unit will definitely get the job done, but the upgraded display just adds a more modern flair to the interior and doesn't quite scream "rental car" as much as the base unit.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Oh my . you guys are making me feel old. My first car was a '55 Olds 98 four door hardtop with all the bells and whistles (along with the custom rusted out body).
A year later I move up to a '61 Olds Delta 88.
It was my brother who first bought a used '61 Impala with the Power Glide slush box and inline 6.
Sometimes I think it was easier to maintain and repair those cars instead of what we have now. A broke headlight was under $2 to replace. Now. . . several hundred and have to remove or at least pull back half the front bumper, grille, etc.

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Base display:
View attachment 18030

Optional display:
View attachment 18031

The optional display is definitely a step-up in appearance. The base unit will definitely get the job done, but the upgraded display just adds a more modern flair to the interior and doesn't quite scream "rental car" as much as the base unit.
Thank you for the side by side comparisons. Too bad I cannot convince her to get the Terrain, then I wouldn't have to worry about this. In the Terrain both screens look nice.....haha

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I actually found some on dealer lots (long way from home) that had actual photos taken by the dealer (not renderings from GM) and I agree the stock stereo has rental car written all over it..... Sucks.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Thank you for the side by side comparisons. Too bad I cannot convince her to get the Terrain, then I wouldn't have to worry about this. In the Terrain both screens look nice.....haha
The Terrain does look a little better with both screens. The biggest benefit to the Terrain is you get the 9-speed automatic transmission instead of the 6-speed transmission in the Equinox. If GM is going to force the 1.5L engine on everyone, I would rather have the 9-speed than the 6-speed despite the Terrain having the push button shifter.

Now with full production delayed again until November you will have a little more time to decide which is best for you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The Terrain does look a little better with both screens. The biggest benefit to the Terrain is you get the 9-speed automatic transmission instead of the 6-speed transmission in the Equinox. If GM is going to force the 1.5L engine on everyone, I would rather have the 9-speed than the 6-speed despite the Terrain having the push button shifter.

Now with full production delayed again until November you will have a little more time to decide which is best for you.
If it was up to me, I'd much prefer the Terrain. I like the style better, the dash better, and the 9 speed....... But, the wife likes the look of the rally sport, and it has been hard to convince her otherwise. Maybe if I make the argument about the rental car stereo, she'll take a second look.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If it was up to me, I'd much prefer the Terrain. I like the style better, the dash better, and the 9 speed....... But, the wife likes the look of the rally sport, and it has been hard to convince her otherwise. Maybe if I make the argument about the rental car stereo, she'll take a second look.
There is an Elevation Edition coming for the 2022 Terrain that will give you similar exterior features to the Equinox RS such as the 19" black wheels and black-out trim.

Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Water

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yes, I saw that too. I don't understand what the delay is with being able to order one. They don't offer a build and price option currently.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Why not have her look at the newer Chevy Blazer.? A real looker, 5 seats, good cargo capacity, 9 speed transmission and you can still get a V6 or 2.0L turbo. Either that or the 5 seat configured Acadia AT4 .

Show her these pics for a start - -
And she can get other colors and a lighter color interior as well.

Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

Reactions: rednox301

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I do not like the 9 speed in my Traverse. Too much shifting. The 6 speeds in the rest of my fleet are just fine.
IMO excessive shifting is excessive wear no matter how intensive your maintenance is. I do not seeing it going 200k miles like 6 speed trans. .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Why not have her look at the newer Chevy Blazer.? A real looker, 5 seats, good cargo capacity, 9 speed transmission and you can still get a V6 or 2.0L turbo. Either that or the 5 seat configured Acadia AT4 .

Show her these pics for a start - -
And she can get other colors and a lighter color interior as well.
She loves the Blazer, but it is out of our price range, and honestly if you look at interior volume, there isn't that much difference between it and the Equinox / Terrain to justify the hefty price difference.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts