GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My wife and I are looking at ordering her a new Equinox (or Terrain) in the next week or two. I have optioned out the Equinox the way I feel would suit us from a style, cost, and functionality standpoint, but I wanted to hear from current owners to see if there are things they wish they had, or things they wish they didn't pay extra for.

We are looking at ordering a 2022 AWD Rally Sport in Seaglass Blue Metallic

with the Rally Sport trim level, it looks like it comes standard with heated seats, power liftgate, leather wrapped steering wheel, remote start, etc. All the things that most people would want in a vehicle now a days. That being said, the only "extra" options I felt we needed were the floor liner package, and the panoramic power sunroof. Personally, I don't need the sunroof, but it's her car, and she loves sunroofs, so.....

I also was curious how you owners with FWD felt about your vehicles winter performance and handling. We live in Michigan so my initial thought was AWD for great winter time traction and handling, but then again, my wife has driven a FWD Cruze for the last 8 years without too much issue.

What about the standard touchscreen vs. the 8 inch? From a sound standpoint, are they the same? Or does the larger screen get you an actual stereo upgrade? My initial thoughts are the standard until will be fine, since even the base 7 inch is an upgrade from what she has in her Cruze, but I wanted to hear owners opinions.

Sorry for the long post. I look forward to reading all your comments / opinions.

'goose

·
Registered
223 Posts
my thoughts:
I always try to keep my cars a simple as possible so there is less to break, fail or go wrong. I wouldn't bother with the sunroof or the AWD. A set of snow tires on a FWD car is more than sufficient for MI roads (I am just over the border in SW ontario and get the same weather). The infotainment is a personal choice but I have been in '18 Nox with both units and although the base one works fine, it just looks cheap and I don't think it has all the functionality of the larger unit. I'm not a sound nut so don't really have an opinion one vs the other but will say mine with the 8" screen option sounds better when using XM, I don't think the shark fin antenna is particularly good for standard radio signals.
For the floor liners, unless you get a good deal on the GM ones I would just go aftermarket. I have a set of 3D Maxpider liners and they have been great. Fit perfectly and seem durable. No curling like I had with Weathertech liners on my other cars.

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I live "next door" to Michigan and even have driven our previous 2015 Equinox FWD up to northern regions in National Forest in winter. In fact, one time we drove through the smoky mountains in snow when everyone else down there was pulled off to the side of the road.

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Land vehicle

I have owned a few 4WD vehicles, but can not really say I needed that function nor if it really was necessary.
I always drove responsibly and took weather and road conditions into account.

BTW. .. . Great avatar of 'ol man Gustafson there. . . Love those 2 films.

Reactions: bigb12359

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my thoughts:
I always try to keep my cars a simple as possible so there is less to break, fail or go wrong. I wouldn't bother with the sunroof or the AWD. A set of snow tires on a FWD car is more than sufficient for MI roads (I am just over the border in SW ontario and get the same weather). The infotainment is a personal choice but I have been in '18 Nox with both units and although the base one works fine, it just looks cheap and I don't think it has all the functionality of the larger unit. I'm not a sound nut so don't really have an opinion one vs the other but will say mine with the 8" screen option sounds better when using XM, I don't think the shark fin antenna is particularly good for standard radio signals.
For the floor liners, unless you get a good deal on the GM ones I would just go aftermarket. I have a set of 3D Maxpider liners and they have been great. Fit perfectly and seem durable. No curling like I had with Weathertech liners on my other cars.
The only issue I have with upgrading the infotainment system is GM makes you add the advanced safety package as well. So to get 1" more screen I have to pay $1,545 and get adaptive cruise control and HD surround vision. These are things I feel we don't need. I don't like hearing that the standard unit looks cheap though.... We are buying this car, and when it's paid off it's time for me to get a new truck, so my wife needs to be happy with this for a loooong time.

One of the reasons I thought AWD was necessary is because I have read that the 19" wheels / tires are terrible in the rain and snow. She will not deviate from the Rally Sport package, which comes with 19" wheels. AWD is a $1600 option..... So deleting that would pay for the infotainment upgrade.....haha

The sunroof, I'm not even gonna go there. She has one in every car she has ever had, she won't give that up, and I'm not even going to try.....haha

The only reason I was going to get the GM floor liners is because they are cheaper than the Weathertechs, and we have a toddler and a dog.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live "next door" to Michigan and even have driven our previous 2015 Equinox FWD up to northern regions in National Forest in winter. In fact, one time we drove through the smoky mountains in snow when everyone else down there was pulled off to the side of the road.

I have owned a few 4WD vehicles, but can not really say I needed that function nor if it really was necessary.
I always drove responsibly and took weather and road conditions into account.

BTW. .. . Great avatar of 'ol man Gustafson there. . . Love those 2 films.

Best movies ever! Haha

·
Registered
299 Posts
The only thing here is that we bought the premier model and for what we paid I could had purchased the Arcadia. The added room would come in handy when toting the grandkids around and I would of really preferred the V6 over the turbo 4 cylinder.

Good luck with your purchase...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only thing here is that we bought the premier model and for what we paid I could had purchased the Arcadia. The added room would come in handy when toting the grandkids around and I would of really preferred the V6 over the turbo 4 cylinder.

Good luck with your purchase...
Thank you for this information. It is certainly something to think about.

·
Registered
140 Posts
AWD vs FWD really depends on where you want to be able to drive it, how often, and if you plan to put proper snow tires on it or not. My wife drives a AWD Terrain with all-season tires, my previous car was a FWD TL with winter tires. In the snow/ice, from a dead stop, her Terrain will just walk away from my car. Overall driving dynamics, my TL was way better with the winter tires. It stopped and cornered better than the Terrain did with all-season tires. So if you drive in the snow a lot and want reassurance on your ability to pull out into traffic and such, stick with AWD.

Now....if you plan on being out in the mountains in the winter...I would suggest winter tires and AWD. We took the Terrain up into the Rockies this past winter on all-seasons. We would not have made it at all if we didn't have AWD...we legally couldn't have driven in the snow storm without AWD since we didn't have winter tires, as well as it was just slick as snot and we watched non-AWD vehicles drifting lane to lane as they spun their tires on the steep inclines. We made it, we drove slow, it was nerve racking...if we do that again....we will have winter tires. Even my TL would have struggled in the mountains with winter tires. Only so much traction you can get when only half of your wheels try to apply power on a steep grade.

I replaced my TL with a V60...and unfortunately still only FWD. I would have preferred AWD...but that is mostly because I drive like a jackass and like being able to mash the gas and go no matter if dry, wet, or snowy. As well as it would have greatly helped get my car up our steep driveway in the winter. My car does not drive in the snow often for that very reason...our driveway is North facing and steep and difficult to get up with a FWD car on all-seasons.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Thank you for this information. It is certainly something to think about.
We also turned over our 2015 Equinox in favor of a 2019 GMC Acadia SLT. It had just a smidge larger footprint than our 2015 2nd gen Equinox, but much more interior and cargo space when configured to the same 5 place seating. It also has the 3rd row which we keep folded down, but do use occasionally for the grand kids.
We wanted to stay in a V6 engine also and we are getting 21 to +22MPG in mixed town and secondary road driving and easily 28 to 34 MPG on the highway. As good or better than our 2015 Equinox.
Of course now with chip shortages, all vehicles are taking longer to order and arrive let alone find one for a discounted price at dealers. Not sure what "street prices" are on anything anymore.
We did save a lot on the Acadia in June 2019 getting almost 25% off MSRP with GM and dealer discounts. We did travel to Laura GMC in Collinsville, Illinois since they had such a large selection at the time and prices no one else could match.

They also sell GMC Terrain of course.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant Automotive design

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good info here on the AWD vs. FWD.... I drive a GMC Sierra that is a 4x4. I have to use 4WD several times a year when the weather gets bad, but we all know 2wd trucks are not great in the snow. I could see omitting the AWD option on the Equinox, especially since her current vehicle is FWD only. I guess I will have to see how she feels about it. She said she struggled with the cruze in the winter, but the cruze is a diesel, so I think it's heavy weight in the front end and massive amount of torque might have played a roll in its poor snow handling.

As far as the Acadia option goes, that one has to be off the table. We talked at length about what she wanted and she basically said she wanted my truck to stay the dedicated family vehicle and she wanted something with more room for day to day stuff.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The only issue I have with upgrading the infotainment system is GM makes you add the advanced safety package as well. So to get 1" more screen I have to pay $1,545 and get adaptive cruise control and HD surround vision. These are things I feel we don't need. I don't like hearing that the standard unit looks cheap though.... We are buying this car, and when it's paid off it's time for me to get a new truck, so my wife needs to be happy with this for a loooong time.
Holy smokes. I didn't realize that is how GM packaged the larger screen. Doesn't make sense to spend that much if you don't really need it or want the rest of the package. I'm not sure if you could find any on the lots to check out but if GM updated the screen programing and graphics maybe the 7" unit isn't so bad. The 7" screen in our Sonic has updated software compared to the Nox and is much better. The sound is even better than the nox but it has a proper aerial on the roof and not a shark fin.
Maybe try to talk her out of the Rally Sport package. 19" rims might look better but you might come to regret the harsher ride, added weight and more costly tires when it comes time to replace them.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Counterpoint...resale potential on an AWD will be better/easier in a snowy region than FWD. Even here in my region of PA where we get maybe 30-40" of snow per year, FWD Equinoxes just languish on dealer lots while most buyers want AWD. You save money getting the FWD version, but might have a tougher time when it comes time to sell it or trade it. Just throwing that out there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Counterpoint...resale potential on an AWD will be better/easier in a snowy region than FWD. Even here in my region of PA where we get maybe 30-40" of snow per year, FWD Equinoxes just languish on dealer lots while most buyers want AWD. You save money getting the FWD version, but might have a tougher time when it comes time to sell it or trade it. Just throwing that out there.
Valid point.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,996 Posts
@greygoose : Let's see how much you're going to pay for this Equinox Out-The-Door (without adding in the variable costs associated with taxes, title, and tags)?

So ... we're talking just the agreed-to Purchase Price, PLUS the stupid Dealer "Fee" (which is advertised as a "doc" fee, but is really just a weapon Dealers use to victimize unsuspecting buyers), MINUS any Rebates, special discounts you qualify for ... but NOT including taxes, title, and tag fees::

Example (per Chevrolet.com "Build & Price"):

2022 Chevrolet Equinox RS Trim, AWD
MSRP: $32895
Color: Seaglass Blue Metallic ($0)
Floor Liner Pkg: $325
Panoramic Sun Roof: $1495
Total: $34715

GM Cash Allowance: $500 (a terrible number)

Net Total: $34215

=====
This time of the year, buying a '22 in 2021 ... you'll be very lucky to get 10% off that $34715 number ($-3472). If you add in the $500 GM Cash, that gives you an even $4,000 off and an Out-The-Door price of about $30,000. And maybe you have GM "Points" you can apply to bring it down further, but regardless ... $30,000 for an Equinox is WAY too much money in my opinion.

Good Luck!

====
UPDATE: I just checked actual pricing via Chevrolet.com's "View Inventory" and it's worse than I thought: $32k+ just for an LT FWD with the options you want.

This is a bad time to be buying a car. Keep driving what you've got ... even if it's a tricycle.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Valid point.
Keep in mind that AWD adds several expensive components to your drive train, like rear differential and transfer case.
These require added maintenance and could be a factor if you are keeping it for the long haul.

Reactions: Silversn95

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@greygoose : Let's see how much you're going to pay for this Equinox Out-The-Door (without adding in the variable costs associated with taxes, title, and tags)?

So ... we're talking just the agreed-to Purchase Price, PLUS the stupid Dealer "Fee" (which is advertised as a "doc" fee, but is really just a weapon Dealers use to victimize unsuspecting buyers), MINUS any Rebates, special discounts you qualify for ... but NOT including taxes, title, and tag fees::

Example (per Chevrolet.com "Build & Price"):

2022 Chevrolet Equinox RS Trim, AWD
MSRP: $32895
Color: Seaglass Blue Metallic ($0)
Floor Liner Pkg: $325
Panoramic Sun Roof: $1495
Total: $34715

GM Cash Allowance: $500 (a terrible number)

Net Total: $34215

=====
This time of the year, buying a '22 in 2021 ... you'll be very lucky to get 10% off that $34715 number ($-3472). If you add in the $500 GM Cash, that gives you an even $4,000 off and an Out-The-Door price of about $30,000. And maybe you have GM "Points" you can apply to bring it down further, but regardless ... $30,000 for an Equinox is WAY too much money in my opinion.

Good Luck!

====
UPDATE: I just checked actual pricing via Chevrolet.com's "View Inventory" and it's worse than I thought: $32k+ just for an LT FWD with the options you want.

This is a bad time to be buying a car. Keep driving what you've got ... even if it's a tricycle.
No GM points, but I get GM discount.

I'm being told that with chip shortages the way they are, it will take 3 months or more to get this vehicle. I'm also not seeing any on lots around me. The ones they have are base models or Demos, 3 different dealers I have called inquiring about ones they have "in transit" all said the same thing..... They're spoken for.

With the lack of vehicles everywhere, and the length of time to get one made, we likely won't see this one until January, maybe longer. I understand what you are saying about the discounts, but that's pretty common when it comes to getting the next year model. If there were any 2021s to be had, I'd surely go that route, but there aren't....

·
Registered
568 Posts
Keep in mind that AWD adds several expensive components to your drive train, like rear differential and transfer case.
These require added maintenance and could be a factor if you are keeping it for the long haul.
Servicing these are really no problem. I literally just replaced the rear differential fluid in my 2015 a few weeks ago. It cost me $3 for a 10MM hex socket and $13 for 1qt of Valvoline Full Synthetic 75W-90 gear oil in the flex fill pouch (only need 1/2 of that for the rear diff). Backed the Equinox up on to the rhino ramps, drained the old oil, cleaned off the magnetic drain plug, refilled the diff with the new oil, and everything was all set. 30 minutes of my time, $16, and a small bruise on my shoulder blade from crawling around under the car.

Transfer case is next one of these days.

Sure the transfer case, diff, rear CV axle, or whatever could still fail. You just maintain as best you can and see what happens. It would be a shame to deny yourself something you really want [or need] for fear something on it might break later on down the road. Kind of like wanting a zip-up sweatshirt, but buying the cheaper pull-over version in fear the zipper could break at some point on the other one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Servicing these are really no problem. I literally just replaced the rear differential fluid in my 2015 a few weeks ago. It cost me $3 for a 10MM hex socket and $13 for 1qt of Valvoline Full Synthetic 75W-90 gear oil in the flex fill pouch (only need 1/2 of that for the rear diff). Backed the Equinox up on to the rhino ramps, drained the old oil, cleaned off the magnetic drain plug, refilled the diff with the new oil, and everything was all set. 30 minutes of my time, $16, and a small bruise on my shoulder blade from crawling around under the car.

Transfer case is next one of these days.

Sure the transfer case, diff, rear CV axle, or whatever could still fail. You just maintain as best you can and see what happens. It would be a shame to deny yourself something you really want [or need] for fear something on it might break later on down the road. Kind of like wanting a zip-up sweatshirt, but buying the cheaper pull-over version in fear the zipper could break at some point on the other one.
Good point. The only reason I could see not recommending the AWD is if it had a high failure rate. Do they?

I am thinking twice about it now though because of the comment made earlier about the base stereo screen.

We are going to the dealer next week to place our order, and they have a few used ones there. Maybe I'll take a look at the standard unit and see if I can live with it. Or should I say, see if she can live with it. :D

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have purchased 2 new vehicles in the last 30 years...with this BS going on very likely my new car buying days are OVA

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
So to get 1" more screen I have to pay $1,545 and get adaptive cruise control and HD surround vision. These are things I feel we don't need.
If surround vision is what I call the 360 Birdseye view, it's my favorite option.
I can actually parallel park with that option :)
It's great if you're OCD and want to be perfectly placed in a parking spot :)

I have the big sunroof and would prefer not to have that because I worry about leaks but I'm willing to pay big bucks for the Birdseye view :)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts