GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I travel on the highway, the cabin is filled with noise at highway speeds. Except when I am on fresh asphalt. The GMC Dealer says the truck and tires are perfect. Could the Michelin tires installed at the GMC factory have too wide of a tread? Should I replace the tires or sell the Terrain? Your advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
Ask dealer if you can try another to compare noise level.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Agree with RIT333, see if the dealer has any current generation Terrains on the lot. Even better if they have a pre-owned one you can try and see if it has similar road noise. If they are similar, then that would be an indicator that it is just the way the car is.

Replacing tires is an expensive gamble to take. If you otherwise like the vehicle, another option would be to take it to a reputable stereo installer and see what they would charge to install sound deadening materials (Dynamat, RoadKill, etc.) in the doors and the floor.

If you think at all you are going to sell, now is the time while values on cars are still high.

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
Car values are high, but there is a limited supply of replacement vehicles, and with high prices. Seems like a catch 22.

Reactions: Mdstevnz

·
Registered
765 Posts
It's all the same. $3-$4K more for your trade but no discount on the new car. Or $3-$4K less for the trade, but a $3-$4K discount on the new car.

·
Registered
2018 Terrain Denali 2.0T FWD
228 Posts
My '18 Terrain does the same thing - generally noisy, except on fresh asphalt. I don't know what tire they're putting on the '20, but I have Hankook Ventus S1 Noble

·
Registered
2015 GMC Terrain SLE
1 Posts
My 2015 is the same, I always thought it was the winter hybrid tires that I'm planning to replace soon anyway. Perhaps I'll hold off since it seems from reading here it won't make much difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts