GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 179k miles
4,606 Posts
GMPartsDirect.com shows the Rail under “Body” and then “Luggage Carrier” and seems to depict fastening nuts screwing upward inside the passenger compartment.

Could they be hidden underneath some plastic trim piece on the ceiling ... maybe a little “door” or “button” that pops off to reveal the nut inside?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I looked at mine today, and wasn't sure how they could be held on. No, I didn't see any secret compartment in the headliner.

·
Registered
2018 Terrain Denali 2.0T FWD
276 Posts
I looked at mine today, and wasn't sure how they could be held on. No, I didn't see any secret compartment in the headliner.
Same for my '18 Terrain. My guess is that you would have to drop the headliner to gain access.

·
Registered
228 Posts
OK, I'll ask. Why do you want to remove them? They're likely not just screwed on from underneath but would also have an adhesive sealant to protect against water getting underneath the rails and into the headliner. That could make it a lot more work to remove them if you're doing it for looks.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 179k miles
4,606 Posts
Can’t believe GM would make it that hard to remove those rails…. 😠
I agree. Even if there are fastening nuts behind the headliner, you would think they’d be welded in place, and you’d only have to remove the bolts from the top/outside.

But I also agree - not worth removing just to do a cosmetic paint job on the roof...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts