GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my new 2020 Equinox for almost 2 months and have done 2,248 miles that consist of 85% highway driving from Maryland to Ohio and Pennsylvania.
My Fuel Efficiency is only 21.5 MPG
Even though I upgraded from a 2016 AWD Nox that had a weaker engine it seems like I am getting horrible gas mileage with my 2020 Nox.
My exhaust is sounding somewhat loud on cold starts is a concern but I have searched this forum and seem to find many post from others over the years who say this is normal with duel exhaust systems. Are there any 2020 Premier AWD (2LZ) Nox owners who are getting the same results?
I am barely getting 270 miles on a full tank!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Our 19 Premier just clicked off 20k miles and the avg mpg = 27.6 with best showing 40mpg. We run mid grade fuel 89 RON in town and all on trips we run all premium grade mostly 93 RON fuels.

I run 36 psi air pressure front & rear

Either you have something running a tad rich or you need to place an egg under the go pedal?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been a speed demon in it. I've never had a suv with this much power.
I scheduled an appointment to take it in tomorrow.
I have put nothing but 93 fuel in it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Its a Turbo and if your going through areas with mountains and large hill gas will suffer more. Turbos are great for power. When they are driven in mountainous and hill areas and a strong head wind gas suffers because the turbo be used more in turn more gas. My 2019 Terrain Denali on flat highway have seen as high as 33mpg at times. But if drive it without cruise on it drops to about 25.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have a Premier with 2.0 and AWD.
My highway mileage is in the low 30s.
My lifetime average is 25. Most of my driving is 2 to 3 miles at a time with multiple stops and driving 25 to 35 mph.
The 2.0 does not have dual exhaust, it has two outlets for the muffler.

What do you get for highway mileage and what speeds are you driving on the highway.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I have been a speed demon in it. I've never had a suv with this much power.
I scheduled an appointment to take it in tomorrow.
I have put nothing but 93 fuel in it.
This Equinox has a smaller engine with a turbo charger on the intake

Perhaps you did not realize that the more gas pedal you depress the more turbo boost the engine will get and shove a great deal more air and fuel into the engine than your previously naturally aspirated vehicles.

Smaller engines with turbos work harder and highway speeds +70 to 80 MPH, wind and hills will ding MPG very much. . . even with 40 PSI in the tires which really is a bit high. 36 PSI cold tire pressure would be plenty to assure easy rolling and still not adversely affect traction in rain or safe handling under duress.

As a comparison, our 2019 Acadia with a no turbo 3.6L V6 has a life time average now of 26.6 MPG with 3,444 miles on it. I don't baby the gas pedal, but also do not hot rod in it. I do enjoy occasional spirited driving in it and use the gas pedal on entry ramps generously when getting on the interstate, passing or just getting going.

The MPG you are getting says either you are using more gas pedal than needed too much of the time or something is amiss. Probably the former.

But. . . Happy Motoring. :grin:

Reactions: Pleatia and javon23

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This Equinox has a smaller engine with a turbo charger on the intake

Perhaps you did not realize that the more gas pedal you depress the more turbo boost the engine will get and shove a great deal more air and fuel into the engine than your previously naturally aspirated vehicles.

Smaller engines with turbos work harder and highway speeds +70 to 80 MPH, wind and hills will ding MPG very much. . . even with 40 PSI in the tires which really is a bit high. 36 PSI cold tire pressure would be plenty to assure easy rolling and still not adversely affect traction in rain or safe handling under duress.

As a comparison, our 2019 Acadia with a no turbo 3.6L V6 has a life time average now of 26.6 MPG with 3,444 miles on it. I don't baby the gas pedal, but also do not hot rod in it. I do enjoy occasional spirited driving in it and use the gas pedal on entry ramps generously when getting on the interstate, passing or just getting going.

The MPG you are getting says either you are using more gas pedal than needed too much of the time or something is amiss. Probably the former.

But. . . Happy Motoring. :grin:
Upgrading from a 2016 AWD LT1 Equinox 2.4L 4-Cylinder SIDI DOHC VVT does have me still adjusting to the power I have with the Turbo so I do have a heavy foot right now but regardless it just seems like I should be getting better mileage. I just got off the road when I sent that screenshot so thats why my tire pressure was high.
I have not made any customizations to the car since getting it from the dealership. The Nox had 40 miles on it when i got it.
I did take it back to the dealership when OnStar alerted me that my tire pressure was low. This is my 4th straight Equinox (2005, 2011, 2016, 2020)
I am currently at the dealership now leaving it overnight and waiting for a ride home.
Of course they tried to blame it on which gas stations i use saying only go to exxon, shell etc. I have filled up at different stations and got the same results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2019 Premier AWD 2.0 has an average of 27.2 over 24k miles. I also do a lot of highway driving and usually get 27 to 32 mpg on trips.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have the 2.0 in a 2019 FWD Equinox. I typically see 28 mpg in mixed driving conditions. In the winter with remote start warm-ups I sometimes saw low 20's for an average. I've seen 32 mpg with no wind and few hills in moderate speed and temperatures. I use 93 octane top tier fuels exclusively.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got my Nox back from the dealership this morning.
They said they found no issues.
I guess my food is indeed the culprit

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the 2.0 in a 2019 FWD Equinox. I typically see 28 mpg in mixed driving conditions. In the winter with remote start warm-ups I sometimes saw low 20's for an average. I've seen 32 mpg with no wind and few hills in moderate speed and temperatures. I use 93 octane top tier fuels exclusively.

Do you use cruise control a-lot?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Do you use cruise control a-lot?
Whenever suitable; most of my commuting is a 24 mile round trip stretch of hilly terrain, which I don't use the cruise. I do use cruise control on the interstate all of the time, but most of my usage is the hilly commute, not using cruise.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That sounds bad.

What were your speeds?
Two lane or interstate?
Mostly interstate. i-70 & i-68
Average speed was 80mph.
But overall since I had the Nox most of my driving has been on the interstate i-95 i-295 i-495 in the MD DC area

1 - 20 of 20 Posts