GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GMC Terrain SLT 1.5 liter
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it's in the 20'sF, or below, I noticed this year mt heater fan seems pretty loud. Is this what happens when I leave it on climate control and engine is not completely at operating temp?

Thinking the fan is trying to make up for the difference until the engine heats up completely.

While I'm at it, the floor vent does not seem to give out as much heat as I would expect.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the volume of air gets limited until the motor warms-up ? That way your not getting cold air blown on you and into the cabin area. Seems to make sense while in auto / climate control, but I bet in manual you could crank the fan speed where ever you want.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Does it have a cabin air filter and what's it's condition.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't know if it has one, but it only has 1,200 miles on it. Fan does quiet down after heater warms up. After warming up it the heat is not as hot as my other cars.

I'll have to look at the operation temp on the info center and see what the temp is. Do you know what the op temp should be after the engine warms up fully?

I should have done this before posting. This happens when it is left on auto climate control.

it's been in the low teens here during the day when I drive.

I'll try fooling around with the manual controls next time I go out.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
2020 has a cabin filter per Rock Auto.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
If it's really cold where you are it takes a while for a little 1.5 to warm up.
Rock Auto is my go-to for replacement parts if I don't need something yesterday. Even with shipping they beat the box stores most of the time and have OEM parts available vs aftermarket junk when it comes to critical components.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it's really cold where you are it takes a while for a little 1.5 to warm up.
Rock Auto is my go-to for replacement parts if I don't need something yesterday. Even with shipping they beat the box stores most of the time and have OEM parts available vs aftermarket junk when it comes to critical components.
Thank you John, Yeah it's been below freezing, down to 5 last night, but eventually heater started working the way my wife wanted. In my case using munual over climate control works better for the heater. I visited the site, them seem to have a very good line of products.

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS, 2021 Camaro LT1 6-Speed, 2002 Camaro SS 6-speed, 2014 Dodge Caravan
36 Posts
Thank you John, Yeah it's been below freezing, down to 5 last night, but eventually heater started working the way my wife wanted. In my case using munual over climate control works better for the heater. I visited the site, them seem to have a very good line of products.

I know some will roast me for this as some disagreed with me in another thread. But on my 2016 Cruze with the 1.4T in it, I installed a 250 watt oil pan heater. I have it on a timer and it goes on about 5 hours before I leave in the morning....
There is a HUGE difference with warm up time when I use it, compared to when I do not. Not only do you have warm oil circulating throughout the engine immediately, but heat rises and it does help. A block heater was not available in the Cruze unfortunately but with GM's thermostatically controlled block heaters they only turn on at 0F (18C) anyways......They started with that back in 2006 and has been a pet peeve of mine ever since. I am paying the hydro, let me plug my car in when I want to and have it come on.

The oil pan heater was super simple to install, it sticks to the bottom of the oil pan, then you seal it with a bead of high temp silicone (supplied) Look for Kat's heaters or Wolverine (Temro) on amazon.

Jason

·
Registered
118 Posts
With auto climate control the temperature of the air blowing will reduce once the target temperature has been reached and increase to get up to set temperature, hence the term auto. Also there should be a setting in comfort/convience to set the fan speed for auto control. If you desire constant hot air blowing then run in manual mode.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With auto climate control the temperature of the air blowing will reduce once the target temperature has been reached and increase to get up to set temperature, hence the term auto. Also there should be a setting in comfort/convience to set the fan speed for auto control. If you desire constant hot air blowing then run in manual mode.
Thanks reptileKeeper, I was out to day and noticed as it warmed up inside the car the blower lowered. CC actually works pretty good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts