GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just picked up a new 2020 equinox last Monday. Today my wife started it up and got a warning to service the suspension, brakes, low fuel and a host of other items that needed service. I went out and shut it down and started it back up. Same thing, plus the tachometer was not reading anything plus many of the idiot lights were on. I tried it a half a dozen times.
BTW the car has 175 miles on it.
I called my dealer and they had me call GM roadside assistance. 45 minutes later it was on the back of a Jerrdan heading for the shop.
Anyone else experience something like this?
kcclassic

·
Registered
62 Posts
Experienced something similar in my mom's Buick...the car went crazy...bad battery turned out to be the culprit. Enough juice to start it but had a bad cell so the electronics weren't getting enough juice to work properly.

·
Registered
10,113 Posts
Bad battery is very likely the culprit. Low voltage drives
the computer insane.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It got to the dealer too late this afternoon. Hopefully they get it in early tomorrow.
Will let you all know what they say is the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It may just need a full charge. Cars that sit on dealer lots for any length of time never get run long enough to get/stay fully charged. I bought a new car recently and put it on the Battery Tender. It took nearly two days to top off. Good Luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer called this afternoon and asked a few questions. He said the car threw more computer codes than he could throw a stick at.
Will have to wait and see what they say tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,113 Posts
I'm still going with a battery issue

Reactions: John04VUE

·
Registered
262 Posts
My Dad had an issue years ago on a brand new Saturn VUE V6 he had purchased new. One week after taking delivery the car flat out died. No click when turning the key, no warning lights on the dash, no nothing. Flat bedded it to the dealer. A few days later they called and said the issue was the wiring harness connector going in to the fuse panel in the center console had been broken during assembly. Instead of pulling the car off the line and fixing the harness, they simply jerry rigged it in place at the factory and shipped it. Driving it must have loosened the connector from the fuse panel. They replaced the wiring harness connector and the car had no further issues for the 65,000 miles that my Dad drove it.

In the case of this 2020 Equinox, I agree that a low battery is most likely the issue. Could also be a bad BCM, but highly unusual.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just checked with the service tech. He said the battery was ok. Said again that it showed a ton of codes that they were trying to clear. All had something to do with communication. Of course now that it is at the shop it is starting up and running as it should. Not displaying the items it did with us at the house.
The tow truck driver verified to the dealer as to what it did and the dealer had it do it briefly as he said to me.
They are going to keep it for another day or so.
Will post the final outcome.

·
Registered
10,113 Posts
Maybe an ECU issue ???

·
Registered
633 Posts
Poor ground can cause weird stuff to happen also.

Reactions: cusomano

·
Registered
476 Posts
We've had new vehicles with little nagging problems but that would scare me to death. I'd be afraid to drive it out of town.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
What’s the vehicle build date (driver’s door jamb)? I don’t mind buying new vehicles that have been sitting on a dealer lot for a while - heck, I almost bought one that was dormant for close to two years ... but I do worry about what effect multiple battery “jumps” could have on the vehicle’s sensitive electronics.

I think they’re supposed to be using a trickle charger (or even removing the battery completely prior to charging), but I know I’ve seen jumper cables being employed on dealer lots!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Dealers use those little rechargeable jump boxes, easy for salesman to carry out to the lot. Just witnessed it while shopping for a 'nox for my D in law.
They will do whatever and how ever to get it running, it's just a vehicle.

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They have left me hanging. I called on Friday and was told that they have not had a chance to get back at working on my car. I called the dealer where I bought it and asked if I could drive it up there. They said yes. I called back to the the shop where it was towed and they said it was torn all apart, but they would work on it today (Monday).
They claim that it has not happened to them other than once briefly. I asked if the codes that were not thrown earlier are not stored in the computer. They said no only if they are still happening.
I am beginning to have no confidence in this dealer.
See what happens today.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
They have left me hanging. I called on Friday and was told that they have not had a chance to get back at working on my car. I called the dealer where I bought it and asked if I could drive it up there. They said yes. I called back to the the shop where it was towed and they said it was torn all apart, but they would work on it today (Monday).
They claim that it has not happened to them other than once briefly. I asked if the codes that were not thrown earlier are not stored in the computer. They said no only if they are still happening.
I am beginning to have no confidence in this dealer.
See what happens today.
Probably should've shown up unannounced to see what was going on.

Reactions: cusomano

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They didn't go that far. They had some access panels off.
They claimed the cable that went from their machine to the car was bad on their end. Therefore giving them bad info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
got a call from the dealer. They could not duplicate the problem we had. So they want me to pick it up and drive to see if the problem comes back.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts