GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit:
I may have found a "compromise" for now.
In the fader menu I moved the audio to almost ALL REAR SPEAKERS.
EQ settings Bass 0 Mid 0 Treble-2, Volume has to be much louder now but the sound is more even. I think the dash speakers may be more efficient than the door speakers which is really messing up the EQ.
Is there a control for the dash speakers on the amp?
Maybe a hex editor to reprogram the radio?

It's the 6 speaker, non-Bose.
The sound just lacks any real punchy mids?
Guitar and vocals just disappear.
Raising mids in the EQ section does not fix the issue either.
The mids control doesn't really raise the mids, it seems to raise two peaks that surround the mids actually.
The Bass control doesn't really seem to raise the lows either.
Seems like Chevy just put some low end stuff in these vehicles.
Is the Bose package any better?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not that I've noticed. The sound is just muddy and the equalizer doesn't help much. My previous car's Infinity sound system was far, far better. This is what I have:

IOT - CHEVROLET INFOTAINMENT 3 PREMIUM WITH NAVIGATION 8" DIAG HD COLOR TOUCHSCREEN VOICE RECOGNITION BLUETOOTH AUDIO STREAMING APPLE CARPLAY & ANDROID AUTO CAPABLE, IN-VEHICLE APPS AND PERSONALIZATION CAPABLE BOSE PREMIUM AUDIO SYSTEM

When I paste my VIN into TIS and look at Radio at the top of the list and at Amplifier at the bottom I do see that there may be updates so I'll add them to my dealer to-do list.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Muddy" that's the word I was looking for.
Lack of clarity works good too.

Anyone have a favorite set of speakers that are a direct swap?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the speaker link.
Could poor audio have anything to do with the active noise cancellation?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I saw an article where people had removed the interior door panels and put insulation inside the door and claimed a good improvement in the sound. That makes sense if there is no speaker box because the road noise and vibrations from the door outside panel would be transmitted to the back of the speaker. I'd be a bit concerned about the insulation getting wet and causing corrosion, though. Maybe it could be sealed in a plastic bag or something.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Insulation would probably add more bass and stop transmission of road noise.
I don't know that it would bring back the huge dip of the mid frequencies.

I like the idea of a speaker cup or a backing box that goes behind the speaker.

JBL 9631F are 93db rated @ 2.83 volts, what does the stock stereo put out?
I highly doubt the JBL's are anywhere near 93db 1W at 1 meter. Probably 87-90 db actual.

The stock speakers are most likely $4 garbage, 83-85 db @1W speakers.
I'll research some speakers with claimed 93-98 db @1W.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bought a used 2019 in Feb. this year. I installed a set of JBL 9631F in the front doors....made a big difference for not a lot of money. Install went fairly easy if you've done this sort of thing before...
Here is a Crutchfield link: JBL 9631F Concert Series 6"x9" 3-way car speakers at Crutchfield
Thanks for that. They're currently out of stock but I put a notification in for when they're available. The sound in this thing is really disappointing compared to my last car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Satellite radio:
Was listening to an "oldies" murder mystery live theater yesterday, really bad.
The voices were muffled and way in the background.
I needed to crank the treble and boost the mids far beyond what should be reasonable...
I became angry and changed the channel to Mexican neuvo/pop/radio, great innovative music but with my previous mids/treble settings the sound was even worse! I had to change all the settings back to "zero", sounded like [email protected] for music again...a lot of $$$ for a garbage audio/speaker system.

Does anyone know if the sound system can be set with computer/noise reduction bs turned off?

·
Registered
31 Posts
This guy cut the microphone wire:

Have you just tried covering the microphones over with some heavy cloth and seeing if it helps?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Put your VIN into here: TIS lookup and click Get CAL ID.

Select A11 Radio -> Next -> Select Programming -> Next -> Normal -> Next -> Select your radio code -> Next -> Click the Complete History button

See if anything shows up as a firmware update.

Repeat from the beginning but select T3 Audio Amplifier and see if there are any firmware updates.

I had a dealer appointment and also complained about the muddy sound. I noted that TIS appeared to show some firmware updates were available. The dealer confirmed there were and they applied them. They didn't say which ones they applied, but now the equalizer seems a lot better. I played the Doors song Light My Fire and the highs on the keyboard are really high now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put some miles on the car today and I can also tell that the left-right separation is much better after the firmware update. Stereo now sounds like stereo instead of AM radio.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts