GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The console USB port and Apple Car Play stopped mid drive last week. The port does not register even for charging and the radio doesn't register that a phone is plugged in.

I looked through the manual and Fuse 36 under the dash looks like it might be the culprit but I haven't been able to pull it yet to check it. I need to get in there to see if that would do it.

Has anyone encountered this issue before I take it in to the dealer?

·
Registered
272 Posts
You can try some things right away, some are obvious so my apologies, make sure the phone is up to date, try a different plug in, ie the usb c connector, also some apple cables made by aftermarkets are not working with some apple phones. Sometimes its just a glitch and it will start working again after plugging it in. Good Hunting

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can try some things right away, some are obvious so my apologies, make sure the phone is up to date, try a different plug in, ie the usb c connector, also some apple cables made by aftermarkets are not working with some apple phones. Sometimes its just a glitch and it will start working again after plugging it in. Good Hunting
So the things that I have tried so far:
1. I have tried it with three different cables. No change.
2. I dumped the relationship on the phone to the car and on the car to the phone and rebooted the phone. No change.

What makes me think it is a deeper problem is that the phone will not charge at this port. Even if it doesn't want to play nice with CarPlay it should at least pass power.

I will pull the fuse this weekend when I get some time to rule that out.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Terrain SLT 1.5 liter
184 Posts
The console USB port and Apple Car Play stopped mid drive last week. The port does not register even for charging and the radio doesn't register that a phone is plugged in.

I looked through the manual and Fuse 36 under the dash looks like it might be the culprit but I haven't been able to pull it yet to check it. I need to get in there to see if that would do it.

Has anyone encountered this issue before I take it in to the dealer?
Might want to try a different usb device, like a thumb drive with some mp3 or 4 music on it and see what happens. Also might try a different port, and as urban said, make sure you phone is up dated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pulled fuse 36 and it was fine.
Took it in to the dealer today and they said the plug in point module was bad and ordered another one. I have to wait until it comes in to know for sure.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Terrain SLT 1.5 liter
184 Posts
I pulled fuse 36 and it was fine.
Took it in to the dealer today and they said the plug in point module was bad and ordered another one. I have to wait until it comes in to know for sure.
Glad you got it sorted out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm writing to close out this thread.

The dealer did replace the plug in point module under the radio in August. Got it home and it still didn't work. The dealership confirmed it was definitely working when they pulled it out of the bay. It took another 6 weeks to get another module. At that point they kept the Equinox most of the day to do some diagnostics, I assume, prior to plugging in another module with the concern of possibly burning it out. In the end they just replaced the module a second time and it has been fine since. Lucky us - two of the same part failed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts