GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I used the K&N intake for the Malibu 2.0 turbo and added a 45 degree coupler and made a custom connection , also altered the heat shield a little . This intake sounds great and with the trifecta tune I feel a nice little increase in the butt hp meter lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
Problem with this setup is it is now "HOT" air intake.

If you just install a K&N filter in the stock box you get a cold air intake from the front grill. (and pressurized too)

I looked at the stock tubing and it is very good. Meaning good size, no baffles and not too many bends.

Maybe a bit more performance then the new stock filter , but will make a big difference in my pocket book after a number of years of only needing cleaning.

BTW: Paper filters are a money grabbing scam started before I was born. My father said he had oil type filters in his old cars and it just cost a few oz. of motor oil every year to maintain them.

·
Registered
2017 Equinox LT 2.4 FWD
500 Posts
Problem with this setup is it is now "HOT" air intake.

If you just install a K&N filter in the stock box you get a cold air intake from the front grill. (and pressurized too)

I looked at the stock tubing and it is very good. Meaning good size, no baffles and not too many bends.

Maybe a bit more performance then the new stock filter , but will make a big difference in my pocket book after a number of years of only needing cleaning.

BTW: Paper filters are a money grabbing scam started before I was born. My father said he had oil type filters in his old cars and it just cost a few oz. of motor oil every year to maintain them.

Agree with all of this except the oil bath air cleaners. I'm old and grew up on a farm that had older trucks with oil bath air cleaners and they were a major PITA. I really doubt that they filtered as good as paper elements and you had to use non-detergent oil (good luck finding that any more) so the dirt would settle out and not remain suspended in the oil. And then the cleaning, first scrape out the crud on the bottom of the air cleaner body, wash with gas, dry, add the non-detergent oil and then your good to go. Time consuming and on a farm time is money and when you get older time is important too, so disposable paper filters have been a blessing as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand what you mean about the hot air coming in but I still have the duct installed so the air is still flowing into the spot a little and I figured the less restricted air box would be better than the stock where all the air is coming in through one little port in the front grill But I was just recently made aware of the issues people are having with K&N air filter’s up until now everything I had read about them was all good

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Come to think of it I have the scan gauge 2 hooked up to monitor boost and air fuel I will just keep an eye on the IAT and Record and then switch it back for a little bit and see if there is a difference in temps

A lot of companies make the intake to go to that spot so I would think they researched it and the benefits outweigh the negatives but my little test should be a for sure answer

·
Registered
10,644 Posts
where did you get that strut mount brace?

Unless you want it for aesthetic reasons, save your money. I have one on my Maxima, and I have tried it with and without, and cannot detect any difference. However, it, along with polished aluminum parts on the engine really impress people when they look at my engine, but that also is just for looks !

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
where did you get that strut mount brace?

Unless you want it for aesthetic reasons, save your money. I have one on my Maxima, and I have tried it with and without, and cannot detect any difference. However, it, along with polished aluminum parts on the engine really impress people when they look at my engine, but that also is just for looks !
I totally agree it is definitely just for show on my car but as you stated It really helps the appearance in my opinion

·
Registered
27 Posts

Different vehicles. I put one on my Trans Am back in the late 90's and it made a world of difference. Tons less rattles, much faster steering due to the reduced strut tower flex.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Plus the air has to go through the inter cooler anyway so that should cool it off either way I would think anyway
Wrong. The hot air, aka K&N, goes directly to your turbo inlet. Turbo outlet routes to intercooler that feeds 'cool air' to the intake manifold.

You may gain a few hp by using a cone filter, but you're really sacrificing dirt/stones being sucked in directly to your turbo wheel spinning at 15k+ revolutions. That's why the stocker has a cotton piece over the paper element. WAY more important to protect your turbo.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Plus the air has to go through the inter cooler anyway so that should cool it off either way I would think anyway
Wrong. The hot air, aka K&N, goes directly to your turbo inlet. Turbo outlet routes to intercooler that feeds 'cool air' to the intake manifold.

You may gain a few hp by using a cone filter, but you're really sacrificing dirt/stones being sucked in directly to your turbo wheel spinning at 15k+ revolutions. That's why the stocker has a cotton piece over the paper element. WAY more important to protect your turbo.

Sent from my LM-G820 using

That makes sense I hadn’t thought of it that way So in a sense I could cover the cone filter with a Cotten like wrap and then would be the same right ? I am definitely going to do some more research on the filter as many people are Informing me that it could be harmful And I was definitely not aware of that. That’s why I like putting it out there to get feedback and comments from people I really appreciate everyone’s input thanks guys

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Sent from my LM-G820 using
Tapatalk
I understand what you mean about the filter part but does the turbine require cooler air to function better or am I missing something because you said wrong but your answer pretty much says the same thing as mine I think anyway. doesn’t matter what the air is going into the turbine it comes out of it and goes through an intercooler before it reaches the manifold so no matter what the air would be cooled off regardless before it reaches the motor which is where It makes the difference right ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have gone thru a few different configurations and I have tried pretty much all options and have come up with what I think is the best intake for the equinox 2.0
HEY! Where did you get your parts from. Was this an all in one kit or did you get separate parts for this installation? Would you be willing to list the parts for this install? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts