GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just recently purchased a brand new 2019 Nox with the 2.0 engine. When I am driving between 30 and 45 mph with the rpm's around 1200-1400 I am experiencing a vibration that can be felt in the steering wheel and the door, it can also be herd as a rumbling. It happens more often when I am going up a hill. The best way to describe it is when you drive a manual transmission and you are in too low of a gear for the speed in which you are going.

I took it in to the dealership and was told they could not notice anything. I personally find it takes away a lot of the fun in driving the vehicle and is a huge distraction to me.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hi all, I just recently purchased a brand new 2019 Nox with the 2.0 engine. When I am driving between 30 and 45 mph with the rpm's around 1200-1400 I am experiencing a vibration that can be felt in the steering wheel and the door, it can also be herd as a rumbling. It happens more often when I am going up a hill. The best way to describe it is when you drive a manual transmission and you are in too low of a gear for the speed in which you are going.

I took it in to the dealership and was told they could not notice anything. I personally find it takes away a lot of the fun in driving the vehicle and is a huge distraction to me.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Was the vibration present when you test drove the vehicle, prior to purchase??

·
Registered
958 Posts
Have you tried forcing a downshift to a lower gear--to see if it is caused by lugging the engine? That situation happens in 9th gear at approx 60 mph. Caused by the programming of the transmission to get it onto highest gear possible to increase mpg. Haven't previously heard of it at 40-45, but can see where that would be the case at a constant speed. Try forcing the downshift and let us know.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That is when the active noise cancellation kicks in through the door speakers. Still I have the same model and no vibration just a bit more exhaust noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you tried forcing a downshift to a lower gear--to see if it is caused by lugging the engine? That situation happens in 9th gear at approx 60 mph. Caused by the programming of the transmission to get it onto highest gear possible to increase mpg. Haven't previously heard of it at 40-45, but can see where that would be the case at a constant speed. Try forcing the downshift and let us know.
I believe it would be from lugging the engine. I have not tried it in manual mode. I have never experienced this in drive mode with an automatic vehicle until now.

You really have to feather the throttle going up hill to experience the vibration, any bit more and the transmission up shifts to help the vehicle maintain speed. I have experienced it as well when driving through neighborhoods feathering the throttle maintaining 25mph. Rpm's are around 1200 and 1300 when it happens.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I believe it would be from lugging the engine. I have not tried it in manual mode. I have never experienced this in drive mode with an automatic vehicle until now.

You really have to feather the throttle going up hill to experience the vibration, any bit more and the transmission up shifts to help the vehicle maintain speed. I have experienced it as well when driving through neighborhoods feathering the throttle maintaining 25mph. Rpm's are around 1200 and 1300 when it happens.
Yeah, I believe you're experiencing the same thing as I have, just in a lower gear and at lower speeds than I have at 60 mph and 9th gear. RPM corresponds as well--right around 1400 rpm. I just kick the throttle enough to force it to downshift; the rpm then jumps to approximately 1900-2000 rpm. It's a function of the transmission programming to get the vehicle into the highest gear to maximize fuel mileage; driven by EPA and CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yeah, I believe you're experiencing the same thing as I have, just in a lower gear and at lower speeds than I have at 60 mph and 9th gear. RPM corresponds as well--right around 1400 rpm. I just kick the throttle enough to force it to downshift; the rpm then jumps to approximately 1900-2000 rpm. It's a function of the transmission programming to get the vehicle into the highest gear to maximize fuel mileage; driven by EPA and CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards.
I tried what you said in Manual mode, at around 45 mph in 9th gear I could feel vibration, I downshifted to 8th with no change in vibration or rpm's. Finally when I shifted down to 7th the rpm's rose and the vibration went away.

I am wondering if all the 2.0 Equinoxes are experiencing this. The rpm's just seem geared too low for the size of the engine. I wish there was a way GM could adjust it through the computer.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I tried what you said in Manual mode, at around 45 mph in 9th gear I could feel vibration, I downshifted to 8th with no change in vibration or rpm's. Finally when I shifted down to 7th the rpm's rose and the vibration went away.

I am wondering if all the 2.0 Equinoxes are experiencing this. The rpm's just seem geared too low for the size of the engine. I wish there was a way GM could adjust it through the computer.
GM can adjust it, but they have chosen to program transmission upshift points to maximize fuel economy--at the expense of "lugging" the engine. As I stated above, I apply enough throttle to get the transmission to down shift and raise the rpm to what I consider the appropriate level. The other alternative is to shift to L and set the upper range limit to 7, which is a 1:1 ratio and it will eliminate the "lugging" at 45 mph.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Noticed this in my 2.0 Diesel. I came to the forum to see if anyone else has experienced it. It has happened 3 times, so far. Will have to see if I can manually downshift since I cannot control the hill speeds (traffic).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's kind of a shame that GM made some of these decisions with the new Equinox all for the sake of fuel economy. Honestly I didn't put much thought into gas mileage when it came to purchasing an suv. I would have rather gm done a better job with some of these querks people are experiencing. You shouldn't have to put the trans into a lower gear to avoid a vibration that shouldn't have been there to begin with.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Noticed this in my 2.0 Diesel. .
Your Equinox, if equipped with the diesel engine has a displacement of 1.6 liters; the 1.5 and 2.0 are the gas engine options. All are direct injected and turbocharged four cylinder engines.

The diesel engine option, unfortunately has been discontinued for the 2020 model year.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Try turning off or on the ECO mode. I noticed this happening in my 2017 2.4. It does not do it out of ECO mode.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try turning off or on the ECO mode. I noticed this happening in my 2017 2.4. It does not do it out of ECO mode.
I don't believe we have an ECO mode? I looked through all the options and a button. Could not find anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you still experiencing this issue? Mine goes in to shop this week for this issue as it has gotten worse.
Yes I am still experiencing this. Mine has gotten worse as well. I have taken it to the dealership 4 times now for the same issue, each time they tell me it is a normal characrerist of the vehicle. I asked if anyone else has brought theirs in for this issue and they told me no.

Currently I am dealing with BBB Auto Line to try and get this taken care of. I had my final inspection and the dealership told me yet again that it is normal. I find it hard to believe this is normal for a brand new vehicle.

Please let me know how your experience with the dealership works out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Our 19' terrain denali will lug the engine too but there is no noticeable vibration, I just can tell it should be in a lower gear and i want to avoid low speed pre ignition so I'll force a downshift or use the "L" mode to downshift. My wife thinks I'm crazy and hears and feels nothing. She also isn't bothered at all by the auto stop/start feature and I don't like it so I'm always using "L" mode. If your car is vibrating bad enough to distract in a high gear at low rpm, I'd think something was wrong with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes I am still experiencing this. Mine has gotten worse as well. I have taken it to the dealership 4 times now for the same issue, each time they tell me it is a normal characrerist of the vehicle. I asked if anyone else has brought theirs in for this issue and they told me no.

Currently I am dealing with BBB Auto Line to try and get this taken care of. I had my final inspection and the dealership told me yet again that it is normal. I find it hard to believe this is normal for a brand new vehicle.

Please let me know how your experience with the dealership works out.
Mine was in the shop for a week before I got the message that GM wants to "see" the problem. I took it back and have tried to get video of it when it starts to vibrate. I have a video but it is not enough to see the entire issue with the vehicle. It vibrates on the floor board near the gas pedal and it vibrates in the steering wheel. Inclines are the worst and where I am trying to get video. Out of the 2 weeks I have had it back it has only done it twice. I am taking it to a different dealer soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts