GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bigger family, bigger car. Upgrading my Buick Verano and really interested in the 2019 Terrain. Good bang for the buck it seems around 30k or so. Seems silly asking on a Terrain forum if I should buy a Terrain, but more asking if there is anything I should be looking out for or any concerns I should take into consideration from current owners on the forum. Reviews seem pretty good any not many recalls that seem to be of great issue. I had a nightmare with my 2014 Regal...engine blew twice on me. One under warranty, once not. Not looking to go through that experience again.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Bigger family, bigger car. Upgrading my Buick Verano and really interested in the 2019 Terrain. Good bang for the buck it seems around 30k or so. Seems silly asking on a Terrain forum if I should buy a Terrain, but more asking if there is anything I should be looking out for or any concerns I should take into consideration from current owners on the forum. Reviews seem pretty good any not many recalls that seem to be of great issue. I had a nightmare with my 2014 Regal...engine blew twice on me. One under warranty, once not. Not looking to go through that experience again.

Thanks for any advice!
I don’t think you will get many complaints from other owners. I haven’t kept track of current prices. Common complaints will mostly be around the stiff ride, start stop system, and road noise. If none of that bothers you, it should serve you well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've got a 2019 Terrain and so far I'm really happy with it. For me it's just the right size. Like Grum.man said, most common complaints will be the start/stop system and road noise. My opinion: The start/stop is pretty seamless and doesn't bother me and the ride is so much quieter than the 04 Vue that it replaced that I may not be a good judge of cabin noise...You'll also see here that there's a divide as to engine preference...there are some who think the 1.5 is underpowered and say the 2.0 is the way to go...others who think the 1.5 is pretty well matched to the Terrain. Put me in the 2nd category. For my driving style and the places I drive, I think the 1.5 works well (and the combined almost 30 mpgs is nice too) - I never feel like it's underpowered. My opinion: You likely can't go wrong with either. There was also a diesel in 2019, I don't know much about it, others may chime in.

I think the interior is just what it needs to be...is it super high tech? No. Is it the nicest interior in it's price range? Probably not. I appreciate the smart use of spaces in the cabin and I find the seats to be really comfortable on short and long trips. I spent 8 hours in it recently and my cranky knees and back didn't seem to mind at all. You'll know as soon as you get in if it fits you.

As for things to look out for, just like any other used vehicle...get a qualified mechanic that you trust to check it out. I don't know of anything specific to look for other than a solid maintenance record and a clean Carfax.

All in all, I'd buy the exact same car again...I'm happy with the Terrain and think you could do well with it. If you find it a little too small for your needs you should look at the Acadia as well - another nice ride with some similarities to the Terrain, albeit in a larger package. (We've got one of those too.)

Hope this helped...Best of luck with your car shopping!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you! Yes, anything I pick up will be checked by my mechanic. I just like hearing from the horses mouth on anything an outsider might not know. It does seem like a nice ride, we love the style. We're going this week (hopefully) to test drive 2-3 different models and the Terrain is one of them. Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
319 Posts
John hit the nail on the head. I too feel the 1.5 is perfectly matched to the car and gets great fuel economy. I have the diesel but I would be hard pressed to recommend it. Several of us have had issues related to the emissions. The interior is down market compared to others, however I find it more durable, and more comfortable than most the others. The CX5 is far nicer but the infotainment sucks, it’s pretty small on the inside, and I didn’t like the front seats. My moms CRV feels nicer on the inside but the seats aren’t as comfortable, it rides, drives, and is the same with road noise. I got a lot more luxury features on the equinox for the same money.
If they were the same price I’d probably lean towards the Rav4. It’s got a nicer interior, a little softer ride, but the engine is lacking and the infotainment is dated. Biggest factor for me was the GM twins were selling for almost 10k less than a comparable rav4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another option I was looking at was a 2019 Santa Fe. Little bigger, but same price point. Weighing pros and cons. Planning to test drive both this week.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Santa Fe I'm not a fan sorry
If you wan t something larger I suggest you look at the Arcadia

Reactions: Silversn95

·
Registered
319 Posts
You obviously get a lot for your money with H&K products. I think the Santa Fe is ugly as hell but it’s priced well. Ultimately there is just something about them that I don’t like when it comes to driving. Everyone I’ve owned or driven took more effort to keep straight on the highway than any other automaker.

·
Registered
2019 Terrain Denali
14 Posts
I have only had one for a few weeks and overall I like it. The only thing I haven't gotten use to is the start / stop. I would give anything at this point to be able to turn it off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have only had one for a few weeks and overall I like it. The only thing I haven't gotten use to is the start / stop. I would give anything at this point to be able to turn it off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to both of you! Yes, anything I pick up will be checked by my mechanic. I just like hearing from the horses mouth on anything an outsider might not know. It does seem like a nice ride, we love the style. We're going this week (hopefully) to test drive 2-3 different models and the Terrain is one of them. Looking forward to it!
This is my first SUV and I couldn't be more happy with my 2019 Terrain SLE. My only complaint would be road noise. I have a 1.5L turbo HOHC 4 cyl. I get great mileage on highway, 34 mpg. in town driving I get around 28 mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think we have narrowed our choice down between the 2021 Terrain and the 2021 Envision. Similar price points in the trims we're looking at, it's most likely going to come down to the test drives and walkthroughs of each vehicle. Planning on going later this week. You do seem to get some more options with the Terrain, I guess I'll find out if those are worth sacrificing if I prefer the looks/drive of the Envision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just in case you didn't know the Buick Envision is made in China, maybe it doesn't matter to you but to me for numerous reasons that's a complete non-starter.
Yep, that's one of the cons when doing my research and my comparisons. Not a complete deal breaker for me, but not ideal either.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just a few comments:
1. Does it have to be a Terrain you are looking at? Equinox is basically the same vehicle but might find better prices out there. Haven't looked at the production numbers but I would guess there are more Nox's than Terrains on the market.
2. I don't know if GM has one some cost reductions but I find my '18 equinox more than acceptable for road noise. Much quieter than my previous '17 Rav4 but not as good as my '06 Explorer - not far off though.
3. I have a 1.5L FWD Nox and find the power perfectly fine and get exceptional fuel economy.

Reactions: Alphabets

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you are not in a hurry, check out the 2022 models that are having a mild upgrade. I have been looking ahead at replacing my 2016 either this coming year or maybe the following year. I keep coming back to the Equinox that appears to keep checking off most of the check marks. Not all of them, but most. With rolling hills in our area, I hate winding out a small engine to get up and over them as I did with my 2014 Equinox with the 2.4.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you are not in a hurry, check out the 2022 models that are having a mild upgrade. I have been looking ahead at replacing my 2016 either this coming year or maybe the following year. I keep coming back to the Equinox that appears to keep checking off most of the check marks. Not all of them, but most. With rolling hills in our area, I hate winding out a small engine to get up and over them as I did with my 2014 Equinox with the 2.4.
I can assure you the 1.5 is a totally different animal than the 2.4. I crossed the Smokey mountains in my 1.5 Terrain and I don’t think it ever shifted out of overdrive on any of the hills. At 65-70 mph it has so much TQ it never needs a downshift. At 60 you might get one.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have been through northern Michigan which can get pretty hilly. Fully loaded (maybe even overloaded) and have had no issues going over hills. I don't think it ever downshifted. By comparison, my previous Rav4 would drop 1 or 2 gears on some of them. That is one of the benefits of the turbo motor, lots of low end torque for it's size.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts