GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I just recently rebuilt a 2019 terrain with the 1.5L engine in it and on my first test drive I got a P0234 code for overboost. The car only has 8k miles and has been sitting for probably close to 6 months so im thinking the waste gate may be stuck or something is just sticky. This is my first time ever dealing with a turbo so my knowledge on them is very slim. If anyone has came across this code before please let me know what you did to fix it. All other advice or opinions would also be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
The service manual calls out two procedures to follow and then it goes down the rabbit hole real fast. As you have just rebuilt your 1.5 these two procedures are possible. The first is to make sure the duct work on your charge cooler has the right connectors and the right torque on them, its a critical procedure to follow. Secondly, if that is ok, then to spray the ducting with soapy water to see if there are any leaks, if none then you will need a deep scan of all codes. Try the first two first and then see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was able to purchase this terrain through some close friends that are in the business of reselling insurance wreaked cars, similar to what copart does only without the ridiculous mark ups and fees. So when I said rebuild I meant more cosmetically like I had to straighten the drivers support, replace the passenger side, redo a few of the airbags, etc.

I was able to resolve this issue though this weekend. It ended up that I overlooked the waste gate actuator and the rod was slightly bent due to the accident. It was just enough to cause it to get hung up so after I replaced that and oiled the actuator everything worked as it should.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another update, even though I thought I had the issue resolved I kept getting the code to come back after driving it 50 miles or so. I did a little more digging and notice that I failed to see my air bypass valve was broken during the accident. P/N is 55573259. I think its safe to say this is playing a big roll in why the check engine light keeps coming back. Hope this helps someone in the future!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts