GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Terrain Denali
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vehicle didn't come with a trailer hitch and I really would like to install one. I called a local shop and they could install one but said they didn't know what I meant by "hidden". But I know the hitch on our cars can't be seen unless the cover is removed. Does anyone know about an OEM one or a cheaper alternative that fits the same? All I want to use it for is a bike rack.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Find the part # on a gm parts site. Then google the part #.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
By the way, the oem is probably the smaller receiver 1 1/4 inch.
Aftermarkets with 2 inch, may give you more options for racks.

·
Registered
2019 Terrain SLE AWD 1.5
146 Posts
FWIW:. I installed a Curt 13439 on my terrain. It's a class 3 with a 2" receiver and I just use it to carry my bikes on a rack. It's not hidden though and hangs just below the rear bumper. Installed it myself about $140. The hidden one is a bit more work to install as you have to modify the rear bumper cover. I think it looks just fine and the cover just seemed like something that would fall off or get lost anyway.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I also did a 2 inch on my 2013.
It allows me to use the cargo rack that i use on my traverse and trailblazer.
Just to give you some ideas.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The OEM hitch is a 2" receiver with a 4 pin plug. I just ordered mine direct from dealer and installation was about $120. It was basically the same price as GMParts Direct when you factor in not having to pay for shipping when placing with the dealer. However, the Denali cover DOES NOT properly fit over the hitch once installed. Also you loose functionality of the hands free lift gate. I haven't looked under the vehicle since I got the hitch installed late last year and I'm guessing it is blocking the sensor and don't know if the sensor can be relocated.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Thanks for the info on it being 2 inch.
A little surprissed its a 2 inch from the factory...

·
Registered
2018 Equinox 2LT 2.0T FWD V92
96 Posts
2 inch installed by Dealer, less than $300.00, sets in the bumper.... Looks great..
The factory installed V92 trailering option on my 2018 Equinox 2.0T has a 2" receiver with the 7-pin round trailer connector behind a removeable cover in the bumper. The additional wire connections end in unterminated stubs behind the dash to allow for connection of a trailer brake controller.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I'm surprised ....I thought manufacturers put a hitch that was proportional in size to to the size of the vehicle ,it's brakes, and the engines power output.
Maybe it was a way to avoid lawyers /lawsuits... you know small car with a 2-inch inch and then somebody trying to tow something big and ends up crashing because the little car wasn't able to handle the load.

·
Registered
2015 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD / 2009 Torrent GT 3.4L AWD
228 Posts
I'm surprised ....I thought manufacturers put a hitch that was proportional in size to to the size of the vehicle ,it's brakes, and the engines power output.
Maybe it was a way to avoid lawyers /lawsuits... you know small car with a 2-inch inch and then somebody trying to tow something big and ends up crashing because the little car wasn't able to handle the load.
My 09 Torrent with a V6 3.4L has a towing package and came with a 1 1/4 OEM hitch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My vehicle didn't come with a trailer hitch and I really would like to install one. I called a local shop and they could install one but said they didn't know what I meant by "hidden". But I know the hitch on our cars can't be seen unless the cover is removed. Does anyone know about an OEM one or a cheaper alternative that fits the same? All I want to use it for is a bike rack.

Thanks
When I got one for our 2017 Equinox AWD V6, I did as rbarrios suggested and found an OEM hitch (in OEM packaging) on ebay for a little more than half the money that the dealership wanted. It came with a four-way flat harness (and everything else needed for installation) and has a 1 1/4 receiver. The cover on the bumper didn't fit after the hitch was installed, but only the receiver and wiring connector is visible. Our Nox has a tow rating of 3500 pounds - I suspect yours does also if it has the 2.0.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks
Rockauto has them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Our Nox has a tow rating of 3500 pounds - I suspect yours does also if it has the 2.0.
Technically the 2.0 is only rated at 3500 pounds if you got the trailering package from factory that included the transmission cooler and what not. If you are buying the trailer hitch as an accessory it is only rated at 1500 pounds.

·
Registered
2018 Equinox 2LT 2.0T FWD V92
96 Posts
Technically the 2.0 is only rated at 3500 pounds if you got the trailering package from factory that included the transmission cooler and what not. If you are buying the trailer hitch as an accessory it is only rated at 1500 pounds.
I've looked for information regarding what (if any) other items are different (other than having a trailering mode switch that modifies transmission operation) with the factory RPO V92 towing package, but I haven't been able to determine if there are indeed any differences in the transmission cooler or anything else. According to the part houses I've checked, there isn't an additional transmission oil cooler, and the part number (and fill capacity) for the radiator are the same for all 2.0T's. FWD crankcase oil capacity is the standard 5 quarts with or without factory towing. Battery capacity is the same.

V92 was not made available with AWD, so if you're considering adding a hitch to an AWD model, I'd definitely keep the load light to avoid stressing the AWD system (and giving GM a reason to void your powertrain warranty).

Marketing literature that I've reviewed for the Equinox was very non-specific as to exactly what "upgraded" hardware was included in the V92 package.

I've previously posted elsewhere on the forum asking if anyone here has any additional information about other V92 differences, but to date, have received no replies.

- Jim

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
ill give you an example that may shed some light.
On the Acadia/Traverse/Enclaves (early 1st generation models- 2009 to about 2014)-
The vehicles with V92 package have the same engine/brakes/suspension as the regular models. Suspension wise, some parts change- like the struts and shocks-- but this change is based on the wheels. 17s, 18s, 19s, 20s. If you go aftermarket- usually 1 strut fits all. OEM will ask for RPO wheel codes.

But V92 wise.
there was no factory installed auxilliary transmission cooler. that is a small cooler located behind the grille somewhere.
the vehicles came with a heavy duty radiators. As far as I know, the coolant capacity was the same.
the only thing that changed- was I think the HD radiator had slightly different dimensions. But what was differen was the HD unit had more rows and fins for improved heat dissipation.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I installed a Curt hitch on my '16 'nox. It came with bolts, and everything needed to install it.
Get their trailer wiring kit, makes for an easy trailer lighting installation.
I bought mine from Rock also.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I got my oem on ebay dont forget the bezel.. I installed a curt on my grandpas diesel equinox as well. The curt kit required an extra wiring harness to plug into the the factory wiring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts