GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The diesel has been trouble free for nearly the first two years and 25,000+ miles. Suddenly today, the DIC says:
  • Cleaning exhaust filter, must continue driving
  • Engine power is reduced
Feels like output is about five HP, and it won't rev above 2,500 RPM. Actually dangerous to drive on public roads, even though it demands you "continue driving."

I know these things have a cleaning routine which is supposed to kick in at prolonged freeway speeds. There was even a software recall last year to address/improve it. Just completed a 2,000 mile road trip a couple weeks ago, and some additional freeway driving last week, so I would think any required "cleaning" would have occurred then. Have a dealer appt on Monday to see what's happening.

Tom

·
Registered
319 Posts
The diesel has been trouble free for nearly the first two years and 25,000+ miles. Suddenly today, the DIC says:
  • Cleaning exhaust filter, must continue driving
  • Engine power is reduced
Feels like output is about five HP, and it won't rev above 2,500 RPM. Actually dangerous to drive on public roads, even though it demands you "continue driving."

I know these things have a cleaning routine which is supposed to kick in at prolonged freeway speeds. There was even a software recall last year to address/improve it. Just completed a 2,000 mile road trip a couple weeks ago, and some additional freeway driving last week, so I would think any required "cleaning" would have occurred then. Have a dealer appt on Monday to see what's happening.

Tom
Mine did the same thing a couple weeks ago. Had multiple intake leaks and a clogged DPF filter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had to drive to the grocery store today, and on the way home the "reduced engine power" message went away and normal performance seems to be restored. Check engine light still on. Goes to the dealer first thing in the morning.

Tom

·
Registered
319 Posts
Had to drive to the grocery store today, and on the way home the "reduced engine power" message went away and normal performance seems to be restored. Check engine light still on. Goes to the dealer first thing in the morning.

Tom
It could possibly come back. Mine did that and ultimately had to be towed to the dealer. I wasn’t going to drive it across town at 25 mph

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After getting to the dealer at 7:15 for my appointment this morning, at 3:00 they advised me "they have not had a chance to look at it yet." Promised me a loaner if it goes beyond tomorrow.

Tom

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealer says the DPF just needed to be cleaned. When I asked why the supposed automatic cleaning routine has apparently not worked, they said "Temperature, fuel quality, and driving style all affect the regeneration cycle. The system is computer controlled and when it reaches a saturation point it requires another regeneration."

This makes sense, however, if the regeneration cycle is only triggered when the filter is blocked and this reduced engine power thing is part of the regen process, that's stupid. It also throws a CEL which does not go away, meaning the car has to be taken in anyway, regardless of whether the filter is cleared. It should recognize soot accumulation as it builds, and react accordingly.

Tom

Reactions: Grum.man

·
Registered
111 Posts
Def ever run out? I had a problem like that after using def from a gas pump

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Def ever run out? I had a problem like that after using def from a gas pump
Nope. Always refilled within a couple days of getting the initial "low" warning.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got car back today. They did a manual DPF regeneration and cleared the code. Still haven't heard a reasonable explanation from dealer as to why the computer does not do this automatically, and before it sends you into five hp limp mode.

Also had to order a new driver door latch to get rid of a recurring "door open" warning. Extra day in the shop waiting for it.

Tom

Reactions: IABill

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, yesterday it went right back to reduced power mode, with the "cleaning exhaust filter, must continue driving" message. Back to the dealer tomorrow. This is getting tedious.

Tom

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, yesterday it went right back to reduced power mode, with the "cleaning exhaust filter, must continue driving" message. Back to the dealer tomorrow. This is getting tedious.

Tom
Ask them to smoke test the turbo plumbing. Mine had several leaks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dealer confirmed the exact same codes were thrown this time around (and the "door open" warning is back too). So nothing was fixed right on the last visit. At least I got a loaner vehicle today.

Tom

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still in the shop. They can't figure it out, so they opened a case with GM and supposedly a special diagnostic tool is being sent to the dealer. They expect to keep the car into next week.

Tom

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dealer still has no clue. They sent all the diagnostic data back to GM for a recommendation on what to do next.

Tom

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GM is sending a field engineer out from Detroit. Takes 3-5 days to even get here. Sigh.

Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts