GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola friends, I hope all is well. I was curious does anyone know if the terrain is a 5w-30 mix synthetic or full synthetic oil for oem?

Getting my first oil change since I bought it and a store mentioned convention oil, mix, or full synthetic which had me wondering. - even though I'm going to dealership, I was curious.
(I'm actually going to dealership next Saturday since they are cheapest for 6 qts and I have to get the TPMS sensor reset so they display the correct tire)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Equinox 2LT 2.0T FWD V92
100 Posts
Hola friends, I hope all is well. I was curious does anyone know if the terrain is a 5w-30 mix synthetic or full synthetic oil for oem?

Getting my first oil change since I bought it and a store mentioned convention oil, mix, or full synthetic which had me wondering. - even though I'm going to dealership, I was curious.
(I'm actually going to dealership next Saturday since they are cheapest for 6 qts and I have to get the TPMS sensor reset so they display the correct tire)

Thanks!
Assuming that you DO NOT have a diesel, you must use full synthetic oil specifically labeled "dexos 1, GEN 2 approved", or "dexos 1, GEN 3 approved". If you are buying oil on your own, it MUST specify that on the label. See the below logo for what you are looking for. Beware of the independent oil change places, as who knows what they may try to use. The "GEN 2" formulation is being phased out later in 2022, in favor of the "GEN 3" updated version that will be exclusively available after that.
The dealers around here will use appropriate AC Delco oil by default, but optionally offer Mobile 1 as an upcharge option. Some folks say that Mobile 1 offers greater protection against engine destroying LSPI events than other oil brands, even the AC Delco variety. If you look, you'll find other threads on that here on the forum and elsewhere.

Font Logo Brand Graphics Circle

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
My opinion is you can in certain areas but cheaping out on oil isn't one of them.
Go full synthetic GM or Mobile 1 and sleep well knowing you gave it your best shot.
Use a quality filter and change at 3K max.
Cheers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank y’all both, it’s 2019 GMC TERRAIN DENALI 2.0l with 16k miles on it.

that Was my biggest question if full syn or half syn was what it used.
should be replace this weekend since I missed the appt last time due to family emergency.

they offer filling the tires with nitrogen for 69. Only thing is since you can’t mix from what I read, not many gas station or self pumps do nitrogen lol

·
Registered
10,788 Posts
Read your owners manual, and it will tell you that you should be using full synthetic oil.

Save your money and just use 100% air. The savings is better spent on good oil.

Reactions: repairman54
1 - 5 of 5 Posts