GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 GM Equinox Ongoing Safety Problems Being Ignored

Dec 31st 2020

My name is Barry Cohen and I live in Port Saint Lucie Florida. Here are some purely negligent class action worthy safety problems that are not being addressed by GM for the 2019 Equinox I own that I have reported over a year ago with absolutely no answer back whatsoever from GM.

1. Dangerous projector headlights that are aimed high this is blinding people coming towards me yet since they are aimed high I cannot properly see the road or whatever is in front of me and to both sides. This is for both low and high beams. The GM dealer said that these headlights are designed so they cannot be adjusted at all. This ongoing problem has been reported online a zillion times already. I have come close to a head-on collision with a truck coming at me while flashing his high beams into my eyes to blind me. These headlights are so bad I can't see well when I turn corners because it stays dark. This makes driving at night very stressful for me as it is causing me to fear for my life and of the lives of anyone in my Equinox and for the people in the cars and trucks driving towards me while often flashing their high beams at me because my Equinox is blinding them and I am unable to stop this from happening!

I want to be contacted directly by the office of the president at GM to address and make good on fixing these problems properly!

Worthless Case Number 9-632-9949479 that has not been dealt with at all!

My direct phone line is 561-629-5618

Jay Leno is 100% right when he stated that the Corvette division should separate from GM since this company is now producing so so many poorly designed and defective JUNK cars and trucks while refusing to admit to their many problems with the blatant refusal to correct them! This gross negligence will get many innocent people killed both behind the wheel of their cars and trucks and the people that these vehicles will hit and kill when they fail! This situation is amazingly real and the people directing the refusal to make good to repair these defective cars and trucks are criminals that need to go to prison for their Ill deeds while being quickly replaced with better decision-makers that care about doing the right thing when manufacturing GM cars and trucks and caring about the lives of their many customers! GM is now the COVID-19 of the American and international auto industry and this deadly virus of producing poorly designed cars and trucks is spreading fast! Real Fast!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I been driving a 2019 for 2 years almost now and have no complaints for night driving and I have the upgraded HID lights on mine. Nobody flashes high beams at me when driving. Maybe they are not even and the dealer says they are without really looking at them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I been driving my 2019 for 2 years almost now and have no complaints for night driving and I have the upgraded HID lights on mine. Nobody flashes high beams at me when driving. Maybe they are not even and the dealer says they are without really looking at them.
Well a U have said the projector heaclights in the 2019

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I am very happy for you and your perfect headlights Auxillary!! My projector headlights are not as lucky as yours and the dealer will not touch them because they have said twice that there is not any way to adjust them. GM keeps saying the same thing when I call and write to them! Meanwhile, nothing has changed! This week a pickup truck tried to run me off the road after flashing me with his high beams about 5 times as he came towards me in the oncoming lane. There was nothing I could do but almost crap my pants when he purposely came within a foot of my 2019 Equinoxes door with his horn blaring while he was yelling FU A Hole as he passed by me! People flash their high beams at me almost every time I am driving at night! I am very tired of dealing with this ongoing problem! If anyone in here knows a higher up in GM, please show him or her this E-Mail! Maybe someday I'll get the proper help to fix this problem that does not exist before I get killed while driving!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I’ve had a Terrain with the HID’s and an Equinox with the LED. Both are excellent headlights! I would say the HID ones are slightly better.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Scary experience you are having. I would ask your dealer if they can put you of the headlight aiming devices on to verify your story. Maybe your car wasn't assembled correctly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scary experience you are having. I would ask your dealer if they can put you of the headlight aiming devices on to verify your story. Maybe your car wasn't assembled correctly.
Again I have been to the dealer (Dyer Chevrolet) in Fort Pierce Florida 2 times about this ongoing headlight problem and they said both times that there is no adjustment available for the projector headlights in my equinox. They said that there is nothing they can do and they have not even tried to fix this problem! I called GM and they said the exact same thing! It looks like it's going to take a class action litigation(s) after people get killed because of this dangerous defective headlight design that can't be adjusted! It's amazing how ignorant and negligent this (GM) shortcutting huge car and truck manufacturer is being in this matter!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Try here instead: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

This is what other people have complained about on the 2019 Equinox FWD but a quick look did not find anyone else complaining to the feds about your issue: 2019 CHEVROLET EQUINOX SUV FWD

These are the GM bulletins on your car: 2019 CHEVROLET EQUINOX SUV FWD

Click the + sign on each one and maybe you'll find there is a bulletin. There are 80 pages of bulletins, though. If you find something promising, the Associated Documents section will display the actual GM bulletin.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I have to say - automobile headlights are a problem today like they’ve never been in their history ... and it’s because of all the rage with having headlights that light up the road 3, 4, heck ... 10 times further than you can even see! And you can’t have too many headlights, either. You gotta at least four blasting away! And make sure you put a high beam bulb into a low beam socket, just for the “fun” of it, or loosen one socket so the light can flicker annoyingly!

Years ago, when I was a kid, everybody had “yellow” headlights. Nobody got blinded by oncoming cars unless the moron had his high beams on when he shouldn’t have, or his lights just weren’t aimed right. But today ... oh no (!!) ... there’s a whole cottage industry selling “upgraded” lighting.

I tell you what - cops should have a way to stop these people with the blinding headlights and start issuing tickets because - just like the OP says, it can be dangerous!

And I know ... people will say, “it’s the way they’re installed ... if it’s done “right”, it’s not a problem”. Well, if that’s true, then too many people are doing it wrong, and those people need to be stopped and told to fix it!!

But with regard to the OP, assuming you don’t have two high beam bulbs in your low beam sockets (if that’s even possible to do ... it shouldn’t be!!!), then ... this isn’t “rocket science” ... compare your headlight “strength” to other Equinoxes ... make sure they’re aligned properly like other Equinoxes ... I mean ... this should be very easy to rectify ... if it’s even a problem at all .

Reactions: kbz1960

·
Registered
2018 Equinox 2LT 2.0T FWD V92
54 Posts
Some additional information would be helpful here.

What type of headlights do you have -- the standard halogen, HID or LED?

The HID's on my 2018 appear to have adjustment screws on the housings similar to that of other late model GM vehicles with projector type lights. Mine have performed very well for me - probably the best of any vehicle that I've owned.

You didn't mention if the dealer actually checked that aim of your head lights to verify the issue. If they didn't even go that far, you need to find another dealer. You can also do that yourself to confirm the issue. PopularMechanics.com has a good "how to" on this as I recall.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to say - automobile headlights are a problem today like they’ve never been in their history ... and it’s because of all the rage with having headlights that light up the road 3, 4, heck ... 10 times further than you can even see! And you can’t have too many headlights, either. You gotta at least four blasting away! And make sure you put a high beam bulb into a low beam socket, just for the “fun” of it, or loosen one socket so the light can flicker annoyingly!

Years ago, when I was a kid, everybody had “yellow” headlights. Nobody got blinded by oncoming cars unless the moron had his high beams on when he shouldn’t have, or his lights just weren’t aimed right. But today ... oh no (!!) ... there’s a whole cottage industry selling “upgraded” lighting.

I tell you what - cops should have a way to stop these people with the blinding headlights and start issuing tickets because - just like the OP says, it can be dangerous!

And I know ... people will say, “it’s the way they’re installed ... if it’s done “right”, it’s not a problem”. Well, if that’s true, then too many people are doing it wrong, and those people need to be stopped and told to fix it!!

But with regard to the OP, assuming you don’t have two high beam bulbs in your low beam sockets (if that’s even possible to do ... it shouldn’t be!!!), then ... this isn’t “rocket science” ... compare your headlight “strength” to other Equinoxes ... make sure they’re aligned properly like other Equinoxes ... I mean ... this should be very easy to rectify ... if it’s even a problem at all .
Did you read any of my posts? Both the dealer and GM have the stance that my headlights are designed NOT TO BE ABLE TO BE ADJUSTED AT ALL! I have been to the dealer twice about this! The dealer and GM refuse to try to adjust my projector headlights because they both say that it can not be done because they are designed not to be adjusted! My problem is not the brightness of my headlights! They are aimed high and into the eyes of oncoming traffic to blind them even with my low beams on. Therefore oncoming traffic is flashing and blinding me with their high beams and worse because it's pissing them off when I cannot stop this because the Dealer (Dyer Chevrolet and GM refuse to make these headlights operate safely and as they should be operating!

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
We understand what the dealer said, but jimtech claims to have seen the adjustment screws. Have you looked for them, or are you just listening to the dealer, who may be just trying to dismiss you ? Maybe you need to ask jimtech for photos of the screws. And bring those photos to the dealer. I kind of doubt that there is no provision for adjustment, but I haven't looked to see.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
OK, now it is 2-1 against you. I went to look at my '18 Nox headlights, ans there are two, very obvious, adjustment screws on each headlight housing. Find a more knowledgeable dealer, and have your headlights adjusted to legal specs. Shame on you for taking the dealer's word at face value, without verifying it yourself.

Reactions: John04VUE

·
Registered
269 Posts
Foreign Car & Driver plant?

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's odd that a vehicle that can have a 3,500 pound tow rating has headlights that can't be adjusted. Towing a trailer often makes the rear of the vehicle lower and the front higher.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's odd that a vehicle that can have a 3,500 pound tow rating has headlights that can't be adjusted. Towing a trailer often makes the rear of the vehicle lower and the front higher.
Yes I agree! Not to mention the difference in tire pressure, different shocks, cargo load ect... Except my diesel will only tow 1,500 pounds! Why do you think that both the dealer and GM proper sticks after multiple contacts and trips to the dealership that my headlights are NOT Adjustable!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Why do you think that both the dealer and GM proper sticks after multiple contacts and trips to the dealership that my headlights are NOT Adjustable!
Why do you think that complaining here about GM or the dealer will help? This forum is for user-to-user support.

NOBODY has previously filed a complaint with the NHTSA over this issue. Have you?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The intention is to make people aware of the problem user---Me and user All Of You! and how it is not being addressed by GM and its agents! When doing this in here I was asked questions and I have answered them. I have filed an official complaint twice with the General Motors office of the president and the proper division for exposing this type of problem but it has gone nowhere! People here need to know this fact as well so you will be aware of how you may be treated if and when you discover a problem with your car or truck that has not and is not being addressed.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks for sharing, I'm still skeptical and hopeful for your resolve.

There are so many scam artist and phony accusations, and lies being told around the planet that truth becomes optional in our free social media society...back to the regular scheduled movie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I understand Greg! However, I have better things to do other than waste my time shooting off lies in here for no reason. I came here looking for validation from other people having similar headlight problems with the hope of a fix! I like my Equinox diesel other than the headlight problem and a few other problems that I have verified by others. I even paid top dollar for my wheels because it was one of the few diesels still available for sale. I have always had diesel's for many many years due to some of the advantages they provide for me here in Florida.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts